Cloud storage options

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Cloud storage options

Post by baloo » 20th Jun, '12, 15:23

Yeah, that's about right. Time to delete the link.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 21st Jun, '12, 17:59

I've been using Dropbox for some time and it seems reliable. Everything syncs in real time and I love having access to all my files from any device anywhere. I can't remember how much I pay in annual fees but it can't be much or I'd remember :lol:
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 27th Apr, '13, 09:23

Going back in time again!

There's several articles out there saying that if you go to the Picasa website, you end up in the Google+ site instead, and Google are now pushing this a little more. This is f*cking frustrating as not everyone has a Google+ account that may want to see my photos.

I've now done some digging: I've already got Adobe Photoshop Elements 7, and there's an "Organise" section of the software. It's not easy but once you've done some reading/watching, it should be OK to use. From there, it is possible to upload to Flickr.

There's the obviously issue of how public you want your photos to be - I just ensure that only photos I want people to view go to Flickr and then the rest are backed up via other means.

So, when I take a bunch of photos, for instance on a dive trip, I will have ~100 photos per day, of which 5-20 will be edited for viewing.

Back-up of unedited photos - portable hard drives
Back-up of edited photos -Skydrive
Photos for people's viewing - Flickr/Facebook

There is a 300MB/month upload limit to Flickr if you want to stay free, but you can pay $7/quarter to get unlimited.

Simple!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 27th Apr, '13, 13:26

My advice would be to load up the 20 top to flickr and delete the rest from your hard drive ..... if they didn't make the top twenty why keep them

You can set flickr photos to private if you dont want the world to see them .

Another cloud storage option 50gb free

http://lifehacker.com/5994394/get-50gb- ... m-tresorit

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 18th Nov, '13, 14:35

Any further recommendations re cloud storage? I am looking for storage of photos/documents for the family, and not sure where to start. We have a lot of photos I want to store.

I have looked through this thread but not sure what the latest options may be and what you guys might recommend. We don't have any storage at the moment except back up on hard drives and I have just lost one of those, so I thought before any others decide to die I should do something about cloud storage.

Cheers, any help would be greatly appreciated.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 19th Nov, '13, 07:51

What's wrong with dropbox? There's also Google Drive and (Microsoft's Skydrive)

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Nov, '13, 09:58

I use Skydrive as my main one, but that's because Microsoft were nice to me and gave me 25GB of space for free.

I do have dropbox (mainly used for auto syncing of phone camera to computer) and google drive (hardly used). However, any of the three should do you well. I believe you can pay extra $$ to get extra GB on all three services. Perhaps start there?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 20th Nov, '13, 19:32

Thanks guys, I hadn't tried any as yet, so will check these out and see how I go. I need to do something, so it is nice to have a starting point.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 20th Nov, '13, 23:13

I just added a second NAS in Raid1 with additional 2Tb of storage and remote access capability via IOS and Android app, so any pictures on mobile devices can be added immediately. our total in photos alone now runs at around 600 Gb, not mentioning music, movies and docs at an easy extra 300-400.

I just realised as I was running a copy from the old NAS to the new that we have close to 200,000 photos... I really must get some time off and edit the stuff...

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 21st Nov, '13, 09:13

Morrolan wrote:I just added a second NAS in Raid1 with additional 2Tb of storage and remote access capability via IOS and Android app
What app is that? Can you use it to copy files from NAS to an iOS device?
I'm just discovering the pain that is file transfer to iOS device from PC. What a joke!

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 25th Nov, '13, 09:37

Jedi wrote:
Morrolan wrote:I just added a second NAS in Raid1 with additional 2Tb of storage and remote access capability via IOS and Android app
What app is that? Can you use it to copy files from NAS to an iOS device?
I'm just discovering the pain that is file transfer to iOS device from PC. What a joke!
it's the MyDLink app.

i had to wait for the NAS to finalise indexing the media files before i could access it, and haven't tried it yet on IOS, but theoretically it would be able to move from the NAS to the IOS device and vice versa.

much to my annoyance my Android tablet isn't supported yet, but it should work with the iPad. i'm going to try it out tonight.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 26th Nov, '13, 11:10

baloo wrote:Yeah, I did all that and got it to work I think.
Hey Baloo, how is your IT business doing? I might need someone to manage my web site for me in the New Year.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 26th Nov, '13, 12:50

Spike wrote:
baloo wrote:Yeah, I did all that and got it to work I think.
Hey Baloo, how is your IT business doing? I might need someone to manage my web site for me in the New Year.
I dumped the idea the minute I found a full time gig that could guarantee enough incme to cover 2 kids in international schools.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 28th Nov, '13, 16:23

well, the app works like a charm on my iPad. i now have iPad remote access to all the photos and music on the NAS.

excellent! [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif]