Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Breaking into a passworded Excel File

Post by Kooky » 12th Jun, '12, 15:55

Can or not?

Obviously the answer is can, but without too much hassle? Without downloading any gizmos that will infect my laptop (or network) with anything nasty?

Thanks, geeks.

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Re: Breaking into a passworded Excel File

Post by Jedi » 12th Jun, '12, 17:28

The one time that I did it (which was a long time ago), I just googled and downloaded some free app that did it. My laptop didn't get infected.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 12th Jun, '12, 18:37

Thanks Jedi. Neo dropped into my office tonight and had a look, thinking was the one on cnet should be safe but all the reviews said it was shite so we gave up.

If they decide it really has to be cracked, I'll let the mgmt decide if it's worth the risk.

My IT department doesn't care about risk - can't help but said if I download anything that works, pass on the details. :lol: I have a lot of faith in my IT department.

(typo)

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 12th Jun, '12, 18:40

Have you tried http://www.straxx.com/ ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 12th Jun, '12, 23:27

If you download and try your software on a virtual machine, shouldn't you be safe?

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 13th Jun, '12, 04:37

baloo - thanks, yes noticed that one. Have you used it?

av - yes that was Neo's suggestion. If all else fails today will do that tonight. Can't bring the file home to mess about with, however ;)

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 13th Jun, '12, 04:53

Neo must know the answer to this: can a motherboard virus on a VM still infect you motherboard?

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 13th Jun, '12, 17:40

Oh he's a software geek, he's crap with hardware.

I've just asked him, bearing in mind he's had a law exam this aft and is a bit brain dead, and he said, "How do you get a motherboard virus on a Virtual Machine, it doesn't have a motherboard. Well it does, but it's virtual."

Then he said something I didn't understand about not bridging but isolating your network...blah blah blah :shock:

I think baloo or jedi might be your best bet :D

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 13th Jun, '12, 18:22

re that sw. It's been a long time since something that apeared in Google's top 3 or 4 hits had a virus upon download. And it's a been a while since my anti-virus/malware (standard free microsoft stuff) didn't detect malware/virus when downloading.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 13th Jun, '12, 21:02

Kooky wrote:Oh he's a software geek, he's crap with hardware.

I've just asked him, bearing in mind he's had a law exam this aft and is a bit brain dead, and he said, "How do you get a motherboard virus on a Virtual Machine, it doesn't have a motherboard. Well it does, but it's virtual."

Then he said something I didn't understand about not bridging but isolating your network...blah blah blah :shock:

I think baloo or jedi might be your best bet :D

OK. Thanks! I guess I was thinking that since the VM still has to share resources with the host machine (like a processor) that a motherboard virus might somehow "leak through".

Law!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o There's the world's buggiest piece of software... What possessed him to do that??

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 14th Jun, '12, 05:16

He's nearing the end of his MBA, doing all the subjects he's been putting off :)

He was quite surprised at the weekend when I asked him if he planned to use Donoghue v Stevenson 1932 as one of his references - he had to look it up to check I'd got my facts correct, he said it was v Henderson and couldn't remember the year. (I last studied law in 1980 ;) )

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 14th Jun, '12, 06:48

Kooky wrote:He's nearing the end of his MBA, doing all the subjects he's been putting off :)
... relief :)

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 14th Jun, '12, 08:57

In case anyone is interested, I freaked myself out last night thinking I was changing the TV channel with my blackberry as a I scrolled, and it kept changing in time with my scrolling. Of course it turned out I was sitting on the remote, but for life of me the timing part still freaks me out, thought I was in a parallel universe for a second.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 14th Jun, '12, 15:47

Tas wrote:In case anyone is interested, I freaked myself out last night thinking I was changing the TV channel with my blackberry as a I scrolled, and it kept changing in time with my scrolling. Of course it turned out I was sitting on the remote, but for life of me the timing part still freaks me out, thought I was in a parallel universe for a second.

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 14th Jun, '12, 16:49

Pinklepurr wrote:
Tas wrote:In case anyone is interested, I freaked myself out last night thinking I was changing the TV channel with my blackberry as a I scrolled, and it kept changing in time with my scrolling. Of course it turned out I was sitting on the remote, but for life of me the timing part still freaks me out, thought I was in a parallel universe for a second.

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]
I concur with pinklepurr