Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

software for graphs

Post by Tas » 4th Jul, '12, 15:39

Seriously, ready to bash excel.

I am getting seriously shitted off with it. I'm convinced I used to relatively easily combine a column and line graph on one set of axis (or secondary axis, whatever it wasn't that hard)

But at the moment it is shitting me to tears with completely inadequate capability to tell a visual story without hand drawing on to the graph with objects - just not good enough, and certainly not with long lines of data, very limited graphical options. Anyone got a decent bit of software for telling their story? I'd have to assume some of the finance types would be using something more than excel.

I used to use something pretty good in research days, but forgotten what it was called (oops) but so long ago there must be something decent out there since..........
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Re: software for graphs

Post by avatarless » 4th Jul, '12, 20:51

Graphpad
SAS
SPSS
Matlab
R or Python if you're feeling ambitious. R has a steep learning curve, but makes beautiful graphics. '

There are also cloud services like google docs, zoho, gooddata, DHIS . Don't know how good they are, tho.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Re: software for graphs

Post by Tas » 5th Jul, '12, 10:31

Thanks, gods I last used Matlab when had to programme everything, think it has interfaces and things now doesnt' it. Will look them up.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg