Argh I lost all my sons music on his ipod touch

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Argh I lost all my sons music on his ipod touch

Post by Pinklepurr » 10th Jul, '12, 18:15

I'm not sure if anyone can help but if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Today we updated my son's ipod touch 4 to ios5. We followed all the instructions, backed up and sync'd to our computer as per instructions, before doing it etc etc but after the restart all his music (all 2000odd songs) are missing and so are his photos, only the apps seemed to have worked.

Not all his songs are from itunes of course, in fact some are from cds, friends etc etc and now they are all gone. Tried restore from backup and nothing.

He is devastated as you would expect. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to help (apart from giving him a shoulder to cry on)?
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Argh I lost all my sons music on his ipod touch

Post by baloo » 10th Jul, '12, 18:25

Sorry PP, I'd love to help but I'm clueless when it comes to iThings.

Is there a way to select an old backup, like not the one before the restore but a couple back ?

I know I have our stuff set to backup whenever we dock and I think it keeps a couple of copies. Dunno sorry.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 10th Jul, '12, 20:42

No help, but lots of sympathy to poor guilty mum (and why I don't touch anything and just stay behind)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 10th Jul, '12, 20:55

I won't even start to say how I feel about stupid ipods and the like. Supposedly it did sync everything but they are not there, not on the computer and not on the ipod so I am presuming gone and lost forever, except the ones that are on itunes as purchases...and believe me that isn't many. Mum is feeling guilty, but in all honesty, more agro at what a stupid set up it is that you have to delete everything on your device to install a new os on it. I wish I never done it, but we were told it was the best thing to do, and stupid itunes reminds you incessantly that your ipod is not up to date if you don't, no matter how many times you tell it no.

As for the backup, as far as I can see the backup you do only backs up the data in calendars etc, not your music, videos, photos etc. Strange how all the apps were there following the sync but nothing else.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 10th Jul, '12, 20:59

Is there an Apple store in Melbourne? Maybe they can help?

Good luck PP!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Jul, '12, 21:01

A very silly question, but are any of the files in the recycle bin/waste basket?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 10th Jul, '12, 22:45

No such luck FB..I wish. I think he has learned a very hard lesson.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 11th Jul, '12, 00:53

I would get in touch with Apple before giving up. Either online, on the phone or better yet go to an Apple store if you have one. Hopefully the files are stored somewhere on your computer. It should not have worked that way. How frustrating, Good luck.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 11th Jul, '12, 03:13

Pinklepurr wrote:I'm not sure if anyone can help but if anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Today we updated my son's ipod touch 4 to ios5. We followed all the instructions, backed up and sync'd to our computer as per instructions, before doing it etc etc but after the restart all his music (all 2000odd songs) are missing and so are his photos, only the apps seemed to have worked.

Not all his songs are from itunes of course, in fact some are from cds, friends etc etc and now they are all gone. Tried restore from backup and nothing.

He is devastated as you would expect. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to help (apart from giving him a shoulder to cry on)?
But where were all the songs before they were originally uploaded to the iPod? At some point they would have to have been in iTunes. Did they get deleted from there too?
We are the TPF

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 11th Jul, '12, 07:07

I'm afraid chocolating isn't very encouraging. sorry. :cry: [smilie=23_3.gif]

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 11th Jul, '12, 09:23

At the very least I'd contact Apple to make a VERY LOUD COMPLAINT! Music can be replaced but photos and videos can not!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 11th Jul, '12, 09:35

You won't be the first one to complain. Most likely, Apple won't listen.

Big question is "what is a back up?" and I think this will now place a distrust in "backing up to iTunes" as the sole backup. Replicate the backup in iTunes on a portable hard drive or in the cloud and this will fix the problem.

Having self-taken photos and movies not backed up beyond the iTunes folders is a bit naive indeed.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 11th Jul, '12, 10:01

There are thousands of complaints like this all over the net. I only have an iPhone and admittedly am not so hot with how it works. I had iTunes on my laptop and somehow in trying to sync it, all my contacts were deleted. I googled - there were so many people in the same boat.

Just two days ago I downloaded some photos from the iTune into an album. Then I went to download a video that I hadn't downloaded before. Somehow, the entire original album got deleted (but originals were still on the phone).

Bottom line - iThings WILL DELETE YOUR STUFF if certain conditions happen. And most people don't know what those conditions are.

I no longer have iTunes, obviously.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 11th Jul, '12, 10:58

not that it wil help now, but apparently when changing the Os from 4 to 5 the option to select was that it was a new set up, not an existing one. i buggered it up on one of our phones, but got everything back from iTunes.

i don't understand why all the music should be gone from iTunes. this sounds wrong. have you checked in the folders?

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 11th Jul, '12, 14:23

Yeah, I checked everywhere, and Apple not a great deal of help. They just say it isn't their problem basically and that all the stuff purchased from itunes should be there, and it is, both music and apps (the apps managed to make transfer OK for some reason). Fortunately I had backed up quite a lot of his photos and music on our old backup, and I have found this today so he is only missing stuff that was on the new computer from earlier this year. We can replace new stuff easily, it was the old stuff that was important. He doesn't hate me now. Whew...still I won't ever trust iTunes again...I know better now.

M, everything I read about it told us not to do it as a new set up. Confused now.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 11th Jul, '12, 16:40

My understanding of the sync is that you have music files on your computer hard drive. You tell Itunes , these are my files. It then copies the files from your hard drive to the ipod. Then each sync it will add the new files to the ipod.

The original source files must be on your computer somewhere ?

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 11th Jul, '12, 17:31

BoD wrote:But where were all the songs before they were originally uploaded to the iPod? At some point they would have to have been in iTunes. Did they get deleted from there too?
I'm wondering about this too. I'm not sure how else to get songs on an iPod touch in the first place if not directly downloading from iTunes or from iTunes on your computer. If all the songs were at one time in iTunes on the computer, then the files should still be somewhere even if for some reason iTunes deleted the songs from the music list. I have a folder called 'iTunes Music' where all the original files are stored on my laptop hard drive. Or was he hooking his iPod up to friends' computers and transferring songs to it somehow? (If so, then the only way to get that stuff back is to either buy the songs or go back to the friends I would guess)

No matter, it sounds frustrating. I'm guessing you are using a PC and not a Mac and there must be some chinks in the PC to Apple transfer. Ugh.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 11th Jul, '12, 19:58

Well most of the ones he lost were ripped from friends CDs (they did swaps for what they wanted) and were ripped straight to iTunes, so they didn't come across. The rest were old ones and they were on the old computer, which died back in January. Fortunately we (I) had back up of that and I hadn't got rid of the stuff from back then so I searched today and found it all, well most of it, he still lost some of his photos, I don't know how, they were on the ipod the day before because I was looking at them, and they are definitely missing. At least he had backed up his photos at some stage. Thanks for the words, it helps to have some reference and not just think it is purely me! :)