Wiiiiiiiiiiiii

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Wiiiiiiiiiiiii

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 24th Jul, '12, 15:39

Ok, so SD and are so not into computer games - don't think we've ever played them.

Mini played Skylanders on someone's Wii and wants one/some. So I've told him we'll sell some of his toys (that he's grown out of, I'm not that mean) and buy one.

What do I actually need to buy?

Wii plus Skylanders starter pack? What about if I want to use it as a Wii fit too? What do I buy then? Any tips?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Wiiiiiiiiiiiii

Post by baloo » 24th Jul, '12, 16:27

Scrummy Mummy wrote:Any tips?
Don't buy a PS/3 :)

Not sure what Skylander is but if there is a skylander pack then that seems the easiest way and should include what you need.

Wii fit is a fantastic fun way to keep fit, for about a week and a half.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 24th Jul, '12, 16:50

Yes, you need to buy the Wii and the Skylanders starter kit. You can always add on if he really likes it.

Wii Fit can be fun for more than a week. In addition to the game you also need the Wii fit board, and the game itself is included with that. There is also Wii Fit Plus which you can buy seperately. Despite what Baloo says, Wii Fit can be fun and some people keep on using it, as we have done since we left Singapore...in fact I just used it today.

You should be able to pick up a Wii pretty cheap at the moment, about $120 - $140 depending on where you look. You should be also able to pick up Wii Fit pretty cheap too, as there are a lot of people like Baloo out there. ;)
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 24th Jul, '12, 17:00

Ok, thanks, so wii plus Skylanders kit plus wii fit board.

What does wii plus have extra?

Did I see somewhere that a new wii is due out soon?

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 24th Jul, '12, 19:14

I think Wii Fit plus is just the new version of the old one, it has some extra training activities, it is the one that comes with the balance board now. The new console coming out last quarter of this year is the Wii U, it is supposed to be backwards compatible with the Wii, which Nintendo are pretty good at doing. It will be mega pricey I imagine. (After all the Wii cost about $600 when it first came out)
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 25th Jul, '12, 08:14

baloo wrote:Don't buy a PS/3 :)
Don't buy a Wii. It's a low-tech piece of junk. PS3 is the ultimate.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 25th Jul, '12, 08:22

Jedi wrote:
baloo wrote:Don't buy a PS/3 :)
Don't buy a Wii. It's a low-tech piece of junk. PS3 is the ultimate.
If someone wants Skylander on he Wii, why would they buy a PS3 ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 25th Jul, '12, 09:32

Skylanders is on PS3 (and XBox) as well. Your Skylander figures work across all the gaming platforms too. So if you have a Wii and your friend has a PS3 you can take your figures to their console and still use them for the game.

However, if Scrummy wants a console that isn't going to cost the earth and is fun for a little one to play then a Wii is good value. It is a good introductory console, especially since they are almost giving them away at present.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Jul, '12, 09:40

Wii is great for kids. gets old quick for adults.
we now have the full complement of W11, PS3 and Xbox kinect. ultimately, the PS3 rules because it comes with what is still a very good Bluray player, but the Xbox is a close second with the imaginative play possibilities of Kinect, which draws kids like a magnet.

i still prefer a PC for games.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 25th Jul, '12, 10:31

morrolan have you finished diablo yet?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Jul, '12, 11:25

expat yorkshire wrote:morrolan have you finished diablo yet?
Fyn and I finished the game once in normal mode and are now on Nightmare with our characters, a Demon Hunter and Monk. the game definitely grows on you and some of the Boss fights can be quite challenging, even in Normal.

i running several characters to see what is the most useful one. so far liking the Demon Hunter, Wizard and Witch Doctor best.

as a loot-whore i'm still finding drops quite disappointing.