I can't find an answer on Facebook - maybe some of you know

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

I can't find an answer on Facebook - maybe some of you know

Post by slinky » 31st Jul, '12, 13:24

My settings are always set where only people on my friends list can see pictures or albums I post -- now, I know that can get a bit murky when people are tagged, but I generally only tag people if I want them to have the photo. Anyhow, the photo album in question has no tags in it at all yet someone was able to share the whole thing on their page. Is there a setting which blocks someone on your friends list from sharing photos or albums I've posted on their page? I don't see a way to stop that, but surely there must be?

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Re: I can't find an answer on Facebook - maybe some of you k

Post by Pinklepurr » 31st Jul, '12, 16:23

Are you sure it shares that album with everyone or does it just share it with mutual friends (in other words you) and no one else? My understanding of the privacy bit was that if you made it private to certain groups then it will only share with them and will not show to others outside the group. So although you can see it, it doesn't mean others can. Does that make sense? The only way to check is to log in as someone outside the group and see if you can see it then.

I'm not 100% sure this is how it works now but it is how it was supposed to work.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 31st Jul, '12, 16:53

Thanks, PP, from the stuff I found via chocolating it does sound like only mutual friends would be able to see it. I don't have a way to test that though. For the time being, I have blocked the album from this person, so it is no longer appearing on their page. It probably isn't a big deal, but I really think Facebook needs to put an option up that gives the poster the choice as to whether others can share the photos or albums they post.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 31st Jul, '12, 16:58

I'm sure there must be as I've occasionally tried to share a photo of a niece with a friend and they haven't been able to see it from the FB link.

Doesn't stop a person downloading a photo and sharing it another way, however.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 31st Jul, '12, 17:05

slinky wrote:Thanks, PP, from the stuff I found via chocolating it does sound like only mutual friends would be able to see it. I don't have a way to test that though. For the time being, I have blocked the album from this person, so it is no longer appearing on their page. It probably isn't a big deal, but I really think Facebook needs to put an option up that gives the poster the choice as to whether others can share the photos or albums they post.

Create a dummy Facebook account. It an easy way to test your settings. It's also handy when you want to play Facebook enabled games without wanting your wall spammed (or your friends to know).
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 2nd Aug, '12, 15:39

Slinks, I set some photos and albums to be seen only by the people I select to see it, which is a handy feature. I've also set a few where I choose certain people to not have access to those photos. If that helps.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx