Wi-fi issue?

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Wi-fi issue?

Post by daffodil » 29th Jul, '13, 18:00

Am frequently finding I can't connect to my home wi-fi from my laptop - the address doesn't appear in the available networks yet it's accessible from my tablet / phone.

Usually sorted by turniing laptop on and off again, then the address returns although had do that several times this morning.

Hence problem appears to be with my laptop...any ideas re what I can do to fix ?

Cheers
Daff
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Wi-fi issue?

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Jul, '13, 19:26

First thing whenever you're having wifi issues is to reboot the wifi router. Even if it works with some but not all your devices, it can help fix. Always worth doing the cable box too. (I get this done without thinking about it as whenever lightning strikes close by, the socket circuit trips).

Next thing to do without having to turn your computer off is to just turn off the wifi and back on.

Outside of that, then maybe time to figure out if you need a new router or computer - depending on age. I've got a spare router here if you want to try it.....
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 30th Jul, '13, 08:25

How old is your laptop and what OS are you running on it? Most likely a hardware and/or driver issue with the laptop wifi.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 30th Jul, '13, 19:45

Thanks FB, will do all of those suggestions.

Laptop (sony vaio) coming up for 2 years old, netgear router less than 1 year. I do have another lenovo laptop that I could switch to I guess.

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 31st Jul, '13, 08:02

Is there some sony driver update thingy you need to run, or perhaps a website you can download driver updates for your laptop model? Are you able to switch the wifi radio off and back on again on the laptop, and if so, does that resolve it?

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 31st Jul, '13, 19:55

Jedi wrote:Is there some sony driver update thingy you need to run, or perhaps a website you can download driver updates for your laptop model? Are you able to switch the wifi radio off and back on again on the laptop, and if so, does that resolve it?
Not sure to the first questions, have tried the latter which doesn't resolve it unfortunately. It's pretty random as well - had the issue on and off for a couple of months now.

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 1st Aug, '13, 07:33

daffodil wrote:
Jedi wrote:Is there some sony driver update thingy you need to run, or perhaps a website you can download driver updates for your laptop model? Are you able to switch the wifi radio off and back on again on the laptop, and if so, does that resolve it?
Not sure to the first questions, have tried the latter which doesn't resolve it unfortunately. It's pretty random as well - had the issue on and off for a couple of months now.
http://esupport.sony.com/

Enter your model number and look for wifi driver update.