NOOK HD

Bits, Bytes & Bootstraps

Moderator: Jedi

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

NOOK HD

Post by Fat Bob » 5th Oct, '13, 19:11

Just bought myself (well, had it delivered from the States) a Barnes and Noble Hook HD.

For those that are interested, it's a 7" Android tablet which is going up against the Kindle Fire and Mini Ipad. The things that attracted me were the price (16GB version for USD150) and it seems to one of the cheaper ones with a microSD card slot. The reason I needed something was because my Kindle screen broke!

First impressions: good. Supposedly not as powerful as some of the others, but for now all I want to do is read books and watch movies. This should do the job. If I find myself doing more on it then I may purchase a better one at that time.

I've managed to get the Kindle software on it (a bit of a palaver to say the least! The kindle app isn't downloadable from Google Play store for Singapore-based people whilst the Nook doesn't allow 3rd party apps easily) and it didn't help that I've purchased the wrong cover for it. Will also try the Nook store as that is US based rather than UK based as my Kindle store is.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: NOOK HD

Post by canuck » 16th Oct, '13, 18:44

Aren't they going out of business?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: NOOK HD

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Oct, '13, 08:00

Who? Barnes and Noble? If so, then I've got a bargain!

The tablet does what it says it will. I could have paid twice the price for something that worked imperceptibly quicker, and therefore Bob's a happy man.

It is a bit annoying that many of the programs won't run via Google Play, but that's because I've linked my account to Singapore rather than anything to do with the Nook. Having to sideload the programs was a pain to set up but now fairly easy (had to do it for both the ereader Nook and Kindle apps).

Overall, I'm happy.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal