Comm Games preparation

From basketball to xtreme, this is the place for sports watching and viewing!

Moderator: Fat Bob

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Re: Comm Games preparation

Post by Aliya » 23rd Sep, '10, 10:52

I have the most wonderful picture of Dikshit Motors in New Delhi, bugger can't find it.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 23rd Sep, '10, 14:28

Morrolan wrote:
Tas wrote:I suspect everyone arses will be having problems going by the classic cultural difference in hygiene comment. (That guy shouldn't ever put himself in a marketing situation!)
he's made himself very unpopularin India too, with that remark... :lol:
I wonder which country he was talking about when he mentioned the bathing... ;)

'There are no standards in hygiene. Clean is clean! And when it comes to personal hygiene, Indians are very particular,'' said Dr Bir Singh, professor, community medicine, AIIMS. ''Unlike some western countries, people here bathe every day

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 24th Sep, '10, 07:48

Lichtgestalt wrote:
Morrolan wrote:
he's made himself very unpopular in India too, with that remark... :lol:
I wonder which country he was talking about when he mentioned the bathing... ;)

'There are no standards in hygiene. Clean is clean! And when it comes to personal hygiene, Indians are very particular,'' said Dr Bir Singh, professor, community medicine, AIIMS. ''Unlike some western countries, people here bathe every day
thing is they have to bathe in a not very clean (understatement) river, or, as i saw when i was last in Delhi, under a dripping tap outside the Saudi embassy (which qualifies at least for an A for effort).

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 27th Sep, '10, 14:27

They really do everything to keep those foreigners with different hygeniec standards away..... now a snake was found....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -room.html
Last edited by Lichtgestalt on 27th Sep, '10, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 27th Sep, '10, 14:40

Apparently Terrorist groups have stated they will not attack thre Comm Games. Apparently they can't do anything worse than what it already is.

and along the same vein

No threats of terrorism at the Comm Games as all the terrorists have left the area citing fears for their safety.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 28th Sep, '10, 07:36

baloo wrote:Apparently Terrorist groups have stated they will not attack thre Comm Games. Apparently they can't do anything worse than what it already is.

and along the same vein

No threats of terrorism at the Comm Games as all the terrorists have left the area citing fears for their safety.
:lol:

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 8th Oct, '10, 17:57

Gosh, you'd have to hope that this isn't just picking on Delhi now, this isn't great.

Judges' strike threatens athletics as Delhi chaos deepens Simon Hart and Jacquelin Magnay in New Delhi
October 8, 2010 - 4:37PM

The Delhi Games have been dogged by technical issues as stands are empty of spectators. Photo: Reuters

Technical judges for the athletics competition at the Jarwaharial Nehru Stadium have threatened to down tools and walk out, wrecking the centrepiece of the troubled Commonwealth Games, unless there is an improvement in the shambolic transport arrangements provided by organisers.

Officials were kept waiting for buses to take them to their hotels for four hours on the opening night of the athletics programme on Wednesday, with many not getting to bed until 2am before having to return to the stadium six hours later.

The organising committee has been put on notice that any repeat will lead to a strike by the hundreds of judges and technical staff needed to run the athletics competition.

Advertisement: Story continues below An immediate walk-out was only avoided after the beleaguered chairman of the organising committee, Suresh Kalmadi, gave his assurance that the situation would improve.

The angry mood among officials was communicated to him at a meeting on Thursday with Keith Davies, the British technical director of the International Association of Athletics Federations, and Bill Bailey, an Australian IAAF Council member and technical delegate to the Delhi Games.

The strike threat is the latest crisis to engulf the athletics competition after emergency repairs were required to the surface of the running track when it was damaged by Sunday's opening ceremony.

Work was still being carried out just hours before the opening race on Wednesday, raising concerns about whether the rubber compound surface would be fully bonded in time for the competition.

Further doubts have been raised about the quality of the runway for the long jump and triple jump competitions, which appears to be bumpy and undulating.

The sparse crowds inside the 60,000-seat stadium - there were around 10,000 spectators on Thursday but perhaps half that the day before - have also created a funereal atmosphere compared to the full houses that were the norm in Melbourne four years ago and in Manchester in 2002.

Meanwhile, there was more chaos when a giant electronic scoreboard came crashing down at the rugby sevens venue at Delhi University.

Fortunately, no one was injured. The collapse was blamed on the failure of a chain support at one corner of the scoreboard.

"Luckily, it happened when no spectators were around," said venue manager Kevin Culliver.

More seriously, the fortress-like security at the Games claimed its first victims when a high-tech device that was meant to prevent attacks on the athletes' village seriously injured three senior officials of the Ugandan team.

A car carrying the officials was entering the village late on Tuesday night when a tyre killer - a sharp-edged barrier that stays below the ground when authorized vehicles are being let in - rose suddenly and hit the vehicle.

The car braked sharply and hit a barrier, injuring chef de mission William Tumwine, an administrative officer and the team's press attache.

Tumwine and the administrator were rushed to hospital for emergency eye surgery.

Many of the Games delegations have voiced fears about a possible security mistake with thousands of soldiers routinely aiming loaded guns directly at officials, athletes and workers moving around the venues.

The Games technology is also in meltdown, with leading wire agencies Associated Press, Agence France-Presse and Reuters making an official complaint about the late arrival of results, which has caused disruption to broadcasters and newspapers trying to report on the Games.

The technological problems have also hit the general public.

After responding to nationalistic calls from organisers to buy tickets and support Indian athletes, they found the ticket booths were unable to print their tickets. Many were turned away disappointed.

Earlier in the week the boxing weigh-in was deferred after the scales were found to be defective. The problem was only discovered after some teams had sent their athletes into the sauna and for runs in the midday heat to lose weight.

More than 2,000 athlete and official accreditations were also cancelled after Delhi Police raided the organising committee headquarters and discovered they had not been subject to a rigorous security check.

Those with invalid accreditations are now subject to even more rigorous security checks and intensive questioning before being admitted to venues.

The Telegraph, London

http://www.smh.com.au/commonwealth-game ... 16bjg.html
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 10th Oct, '10, 23:46

The games claim their first casualty...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11510624

New Zealand television host Paul Henry has resigned after provoking public outrage over his on-air comments about Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.

He laughed a number of times as he mispronounced the surname, which sounds closer to "Dixit" in English.

Indian officials condemned the remarks as "racist and bigoted".

He was already suspended for suggesting that Governor General Sir Anand Satyanand, who is of Fijian-Indian heritage, was not a real New Zealander.

As controversy mounted over those remarks, made last week, his earlier remarks about Ms Dikshit resurfaced.
'Insensitive and vulgar'

Mr Henry, presenting TVNZ's Breakfast programme told viewers two weeks ago that Ms Dikshit's name was "appropriate because she's Indian.

"I've known about her for a while and I've been laughing ever since," he said.

The remarks sparked indignation both in New Zealand and in India.

India's foreign ministry summoned the New Zealand high commissioner last week to register a formal protest.

New Zealand's government has apologised for the remarks, describing them as "culturally insensitive and vulgar".

Sheila Dikshit is overseeing arrangements for the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, which have been beset by problems. She brushed off Mr Henry's remarks but said they were "not appropriate".

Announcing his resignation, Mr Henry said it was "no longer practical in the current environment for me to do the job".

He added: "I am astonished and dismayed that my comments have created a diplomatic incident. My style is conversational and of course unscripted. I walk the finest of lines and accept that I have inadvertently crossed it from time to time."

Prime Minister John Key said the whole episode was "sad and regrettable" but his resignation should bring "closure".

The chief executive of TVNZ, Rick Ellis, commended Mr Henry's decision to resign, saying his comments split the community and damaged New Zealand's international relationships.

Mr Henry has a reputation for controversial comments.

He once described Scottish singer Susan Boyle as "retarded" and accused a female guest from Greenpeace of having a moustache, New Zealand press reports say.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 11th Oct, '10, 04:36

Lichtgestalt wrote:.

Mr Henry has a reputation for controversial comments.

He once...accused a female guest from Greenpeace of having a moustache, New Zealand press reports say.
Oh god, has Dirk been wearing skirts again? :(