London 2012 Olympics

From basketball to xtreme, this is the place for sports watching and viewing!

Moderator: Fat Bob

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: London 2012 Olympics

Post by Morrolan » 31st Jul, '12, 12:15

from what i know, lactic acid builds up when the muscles require energy production faster than the body can generate aerobically and have to switch to anaerobic energy generation. it's not the length of exertion, but the intensity.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 31st Jul, '12, 13:26

nev wrote:To me, it's her swimming faster than a boy that screams "doping!!".
Have to agree with that. This race must be on my DVR from last night -- haven't seen it yet. I'll have to take a look later.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 31st Jul, '12, 14:10

thought one of the American coaches summed up reasonably well. he said after 40yrs in the swimming business, any time you see something 'unbelievable' you will inevidibly find doping was involved.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 31st Jul, '12, 14:55

Some experts argued that at that young age she has a favourable power/weight ratio (no clue what it exactly means) but she improved her personal best by a few seconds in a relatively short time which is unusual. Innocent until proven guilty

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 31st Jul, '12, 15:34

the testing is pretty full on these days so if there is something to be found it will be, so fair point Licht.
M: pretty sure that I read today all medal winners automatically sampled/tested so not sure where suggested she wouldn't be subjected to that?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 31st Jul, '12, 16:37

Tas wrote:M: pretty sure that I read today all medal winners automatically sampled/tested so not sure where suggested she wouldn't be subjected to that?
that's what i thought, but i haven't seen anything saying "we're waiting on the test results, yadayada", only conjecture and suspicions, which is odd.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 31st Jul, '12, 16:42

And they can only test for things they know about. Though these days they do retain the samples to retest when the new drugs are discovered.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 31st Jul, '12, 16:58

I'd be suprised if anyone would say that they are waiting results because that would be case for any high performer and would cast a shadow and misrepresentative suspicion on the medal that would be unfair to pretty much anyone. It would be inappropriate and unfair for officials to make comments like that unless someone has made a formal protest or complaint - otherwise they would do quietly behind the lab doors. Think we get a little bit over taken with media these days to think all conversations of that nature would and should be reported instantly in social or usual media.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 31st Jul, '12, 17:11

I know where the testing is being done.

Yes, all medal winners and a selection of other competitors (and horses) will be tested. I think this is going to be the biggest set of testing at any event ever.

However, there are clear cases when one can either overcome lactic acid or train so lactic acid build ups just do not happen. Think sprint finishes in any long distance race, marathon, triathalon etc. It's all about conditioning your body to not get too much lactic acid during the race so that, when required, the muscles still have ample supplies of whatever it needs.

I think there was a British girl in the breast stroke that also improved her performance. But we're used to southern hemisphere types whinging about losing because of food poisoning and match fixing, but I thought it was only one side of the ditch that did that!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 31st Jul, '12, 17:25

It was the Yanks that uttering the drug word and the only whinging so far have been the english cyclists.

But go ahead.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 31st Jul, '12, 18:58

baloo wrote:And they can only test for things they know about. Though these days they do retain the samples to retest when the new drugs are discovered.
Not to forget that doping happens in the build-up to an event and not in the days before the event, hence they also check for diuretics which supposedly flush out the doping meds. Ideally most of the doping tests are done in the months before the acutal event

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 31st Jul, '12, 20:35

And China's former Olympic doctor airs his suspicions about Michael Phelps' achievements ... "The Americans are very bad, they do a lot of evil".

Inevitable response, my swimmer is cleaner than yours... :roll:
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 31st Jul, '12, 20:38

A large number of international qualifying events are happening right up to olympic event in international circuit that also have testing, so actually fairly confident that a lot of structure and systems in place to capture doping incidents, and have been for number of years.

So many are actually caught out and shamed.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 1st Aug, '12, 02:11

baloo wrote:It was the Yanks that uttering the drug word and the only whinging so far have been the english cyclists.

But go ahead.
The Aussie rowers have been whinging that the crowd is too noisy..
We are the TPF

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 1st Aug, '12, 02:13

Well I'd like to believe that she is clean so I will.

Did anyone see the post race 'interview' with the 15yr old Lithuanian girl who got gold? She was completely dumbstruck.
We are the TPF

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 1st Aug, '12, 07:18

And Phelps wins his 19th Olympic medal to become the most decorated Olympian :fblike:
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Aug, '12, 07:27

The Brit Chicks footy team beats Brazil 1-0 and come top of their pool! Good going chicks!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 1st Aug, '12, 08:33

BoD wrote:
baloo wrote:It was the Yanks that uttering the drug word and the only whinging so far have been the english cyclists.

But go ahead.
The Aussie rowers have been whinging that the crowd is too noisy..
[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 1st Aug, '12, 08:41

Lord Colin Moynihan said Ye, 16, had passed drug tests, was "clean" and deserved recognition for her talent.
(from BBC News site)

well, that's that, then...

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 1st Aug, '12, 09:47

hmmm, not sure the Aussies are even in complaining medal contention when compared to Team GB. Hand the gold to Team GB now. I'm not sure even the Chinese complained as loudly when their swimmer was tagged as a drug cheat for winning a medal.
baloo wrote:the only whinging so far have been the english cyclists.
World champion Mark Cavendish claimed Great Britain have become victims of their own success after rival teams appeared content to see him lose the Olympic road race, rather than win it themselves.

“The Australians just sat there and always ride negatively,” Cavendish told the British Broadcasting Corp.

"The guys all sat there in the tent absolutely spent. We did everything we could. The crowd was tremendous the whole way around, but the Aussies just raced negatively," he said after the race.

"We didn’t expect any help. We rode the race we wanted to ride. We couldn’t pull the group back on Box Hill. Other teams were content that if they didn’t win, we wouldn’t win. "

Former Great Britain cyclist Daniel Lloyd said Cavendish was "completely right" about the Australians and the rest of the field.

BoD wrote:The Aussie rowers have been whinging that the crowd is too noisy..
Jason Lane, coach of the Australian women's quadruple sculls, who won their repechage to qualify for the final on Wednesday, said that the niose was a new element to which the rowers must become accustomed.
He said that his crew claimed it was "quite hard to hear calls inside the boat" and adding: "You don't often see that in rowing normally."

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Dizzy

Post by Monkey Hanger » 1st Aug, '12, 15:32

Deep breath.............

Cavendish is NOT English!

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 1st Aug, '12, 16:36

Monkey Hanger wrote:Deep breath.............

Cavendish is NOT English!
In the Olympics you are all 1 I believe. United as one nation. Rule Britannia.

Regardless, Daniel Lloyd is.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 1st Aug, '12, 17:04

Ooops... a Chinese and Indonesian team are in trouble for "not trying hard enough" in Badminton... [smilie=w00t.gif]

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 1st Aug, '12, 17:12

Morrolan wrote:
Lord Colin Moynihan said Ye, 16, had passed drug tests, was "clean" and deserved recognition for her talent.
(from BBC News site)

well, that's that, then...
I read today that she's been practicing at least 5 hours a day for the past 9 years. She's 16, so from age 7 on :shock: The 'Mandarin Mermaid' name seems fitting!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 1st Aug, '12, 19:06

baloo wrote:hmmm, not sure the Aussies are even in complaining medal contention when compared to Team GB. Hand the gold to Team GB now. I'm not sure even the Chinese complained as loudly when their swimmer was tagged as a drug cheat for winning a medal.
baloo wrote:the only whinging so far have been the english cyclists.
World champion Mark Cavendish claimed Great Britain have become victims of their own success after rival teams appeared content to see him lose the Olympic road race, rather than win it themselves.

“The Australians just sat there and always ride negatively,” Cavendish told the British Broadcasting Corp.

"The guys all sat there in the tent absolutely spent. We did everything we could. The crowd was tremendous the whole way around, but the Aussies just raced negatively," he said after the race.

"We didn’t expect any help. We rode the race we wanted to ride. We couldn’t pull the group back on Box Hill. Other teams were content that if they didn’t win, we wouldn’t win. "

Former Great Britain cyclist Daniel Lloyd said Cavendish was "completely right" about the Australians and the rest of the field.

BoD wrote:The Aussie rowers have been whinging that the crowd is too noisy..
Jason Lane, coach of the Australian women's quadruple sculls, who won their repechage to qualify for the final on Wednesday, said that the niose was a new element to which the rowers must become accustomed.
He said that his crew claimed it was "quite hard to hear calls inside the boat" and adding: "You don't often see that in rowing normally."
Look at the size of the one that bit!

Poppy Appeal