cats in apartments

A coal sack free zone. Brought to you by PetBuddies

Moderator: FurBaby

kitty11

cats in apartments

Post by kitty11 » 6th Apr, '11, 20:20

Hi,
I will be moving to Singapore in September with my family and 2 cats and was wondering if it is difficult to find nice apartments/condos/town houses etc. that accept cats. Is it easier if you have a non-furnished place to find landlords willing to accept cats? Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks!

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Re: cats in apartments

Post by Lichtgestalt » 6th Apr, '11, 20:29

A few of the board members keep pussies in their condos, some of them even are cats. Just make sure you mention it right at the beginning as some landlords will not allow pets. The other strategy is of course to nearly close the deal and then drop the information. They might the rather accept hte cats then lose the deal

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 6th Apr, '11, 21:03

Well your cat was the size of a miniature horse. Did you ever have any problems?
We are the TPF

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 6th Apr, '11, 23:53

BoD wrote:Well your cat was the size of a miniature horse. Did you ever have any problems?
Never had any problems but always mentioned it in the beginning. We also always put up safety nets at the opening to the aircon, etc. as he was wandering on that small ledge in the beginning (8th floor :shock: )

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 6th Apr, '11, 23:59

hi kitty11, if your prospective landlord seems worried about kitties scratching parquet floors or such like, most would be pacified if you offer to deposit with them the equivalent of a month's rent as a 'damage deposit' at the beginning of your lease :)

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 7th Apr, '11, 08:46

Lichtgestalt wrote:
BoD wrote:Well your cat was the size of a miniature horse. Did you ever have any problems?
Never had any problems but always mentioned it in the beginning. We also always put up safety nets at the opening to the aircon, etc. as he was wandering on that small ledge in the beginning (8th floor :shock: )
Eek! One of my old neighbor's cats fell from her aircon ledge on the 4th floor to my aircon ledge on the 2nd floor, and we had to scoop the poor thing up into the window. The cat was amazingly unscathed. Fattest cat I ever saw.

My old landlady was very worried about my cats at first. Many Chinese here prefer dogs, which tend to chew and scratch on doors and floors, etc. I explained to her that cats don't really do that, at least not to the same extent as dogs. She really had no idea what cats were like.

If your apartment is furnished with upholstered couches and carpets, though, I'd be prepared to pay a deposit, and never get it back!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 7th Apr, '11, 09:36

Never had problems getting permission for cats. Dogs seem to be another matter.

Might also depend on whether you are getting a fully furnished apartment or not. Most aren't, but if you're looking for fully furnished the landlord might be more inclined to deny the request.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 7th Apr, '11, 10:14

Daff's cat fell/jumped/was pushed from the 7th floor (I think) and was pretty much fine as far as I remember
Last edited by BoD on 7th Apr, '11, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
We are the TPF

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 7th Apr, '11, 10:23

Daff's cat was very battered, but amazingly survived.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 7th Apr, '11, 17:45

I guess kitty11 just wants to see if the answers are the same on both boards. ;-)

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 7th Apr, '11, 18:39

Well obviously we give far superior advice to any other forum in Singapore (Batam and some say JB)
We are the TPF

elaine85
Lurker
Mood: Happy

Post by elaine85 » 3rd Apr, '12, 16:00

kitty11 wrote:Hi,
I will be moving to Singapore in September with my family and 2 cats and was wondering if it is difficult to find nice apartments/condos/town houses etc. that accept cats. Is it easier if you have a non-furnished place to find landlords willing to accept cats? Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks!
I think it still depends on the landlord themselves.