One poorly pussycat

A coal sack free zone. Brought to you by PetBuddies

Moderator: FurBaby

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Re: One poorly pussycat

Post by daffodil » 13th Feb, '12, 16:17

Some neat looking shave work there, good luck with the bunny for dinner :)
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Feb, '12, 17:13

Ooooh....love rabbit pie/stew! YUM! Can I come over?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 13th Feb, '12, 17:37

If you'll cook it and share it with Han, you'd be very welcome.

They're whole rabbits. :cry: I'm promised they've been skinned but I have a nervous breakdown cooking a chicken piece.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 13th Feb, '12, 17:39

You're not becoming a bunny boiler are you? ;)

Get Neo onto it I reckon !
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 14th Feb, '12, 09:45

Kooky wrote:If you'll cook it and share it with Han, you'd be very welcome.

They're whole rabbits. :cry: I'm promised they've been skinned but I have a nervous breakdown cooking a chicken piece.
You might consider trying Wysong. A bit pricey to import, but if you're really feeling squeamish... They also have venison and duck.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 14th Feb, '12, 09:51

suggest you get one of those big square heavy chopping knifes then, or some really strong sharp scissors because you want to make it all short and quick cutting to pieces, if you have a crappy knife then you really will go to pieces (no pun intended, or maybe it was...)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 14th Feb, '12, 09:58

Have a good cleaver. Will check out online supplies if it becomes a long-term thing - thanks Av.

Still not eating much - so hard to get antibiotics into him - or moving much; lost him earlier and found him in the bottom of a laundry basket.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 14th Feb, '12, 10:22

Sounds like he is trying to make sure you don't pack him off to the vets again.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 14th Feb, '12, 10:34

If that's the case it's in his own interest to start eating :)

I don't really blame him for wanting to be alone - the other two are not being nice to him, to the point that last night he and I slept in the guest room.

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Dizzy

Post by Monkey Hanger » 14th Feb, '12, 16:36

Kooky wrote:Still not eating much - so hard to get antibiotics into him
Not sure if this'll help but....

a few years ago I was helping look after a cat (Fiamma) that got very sick (some kind of feline leukemia I think, though not sure) and needed a tablet every day to keep her going. The first few days we tried every method we could think of to get it down but only succeeded in stressing her (and us!) out completely - I've still got the scars. Now, Fiamma loved eggs so I thought I'd try crushing the tablet and then mixing it really well with raw egg yolk so that she could neither taste the tablet nor feel the bits. She'd happily wolf it down every time though we'd have to keep an eye on her til she'd finished it coz her brother was an egg fan too!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 14th Feb, '12, 17:46

We used to hide/bury tablets in cheese for the dog. We managed most the time to get him to eat them.

There again, when the dog was old, we used to throw cheese singles on the tile floor and he'd spend an age trying to get lick the thing off the floor....how we laughed!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 15th Feb, '12, 09:28

Sorry guys, I read these last night and meant to come back and acknowledge them, totally forgot.

Haven't tried Han with egg or cheese - he does love a bit of bread or cake though! If it continues I will ask the vet as we're actually aiming to get him onto a rabbit ONLY diet once he starts eating more, no treats no nuffink. I can't see it happening but will have to be strong and tell him it's rabbit or go hungry, problem being he may well go hungry.

He's had a bit of breakfast in two sittings so far, but nowhere near enough to get him strong, and only his favourite fishy wet food. Won't touch the prescription stuff :( so I decided better to feed him what he will eat right now, if it gets his meds down.

He and Fu seem to have kissed and made up so at least I can go back to my own bed tonight :)

edit: Don't tell my sister about the bread and cake, she's convinced he's gluten intolerant like she is, and I am. Hereditary, you see ;)

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 16th Feb, '12, 07:33

yeah, our cat was an egg lover as well. A real treat was left over salmon, mixed with mashed potato and a raw egg. And if she was really lucky a bit of that cheddar from a box ( that off the shelf stuff, we all liked that, kids like the wrongest stuff hahaha, but my mum still has it and we all still secretly like it grated on our spag bol when we visit, on our hamburgers, and it still makes the best gooey cheese toasties :D Think have enough gourmet grown up taste buds to allow for that guilty pleasure)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 19th Feb, '12, 17:46

How is poor old Han now K?

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 19th Feb, '12, 19:36

3 days of eating normally now, so the rabbit is defrosting :shock: Really not convinced he will eat it but have to try.

He seems OK apart from his night-time crying. He did it most of last night and would not settle, which resulted in Neo coming down to sleep in the spare room in the wee small hours to see if he would settle there. He's not right, that's for sure, but I hope he's not in pain. Need to get a refil for his pheromone diffuser and see if that helps chill him out.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 19th Feb, '12, 19:39

Kooky wrote:3 days of eating normally now, so the rabbit is defrosting :shock: Really not convinced he will eat it but have to try.
Hope he gets well. What is the deal with the rabbit? is it healthy for cats or just his favourite treat?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 19th Feb, '12, 20:59

A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 19th Feb, '12, 21:10

Lichtgestalt wrote:
Kooky wrote:3 days of eating normally now, so the rabbit is defrosting :shock: Really not convinced he will eat it but have to try.
Hope he gets well. What is the deal with the rabbit? is it healthy for cats or just his favourite treat?
Not sure, Lichty - from what I've read both rabbit and venison are recommended for cats with such sensitive stomachs. A different kind of protein, I think.

We also have a prescription dry food for him that does not contain wheat - Hills I/D. The protein in that comes from pork and chicken, not a fish in sight, but amazingly he seems to like it so we may be able to go onto that after the rabbit trial. Of course we have 3 to cater for so would be good if they all like it :)

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 21st Feb, '12, 09:08

Oh dear. Poor Han, keeping my fingers crossed that his insides settle and that he builds up weight and strength.

My freezer is currently full of rabbit, hmmm, perhaps I could offload them to a cat rescue centre...

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 21st Feb, '12, 09:20

How is it going Kooky? Other than Fu eating all the bunny rabbit ! :)
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Feb, '12, 09:45

Well I did it, I cooked a rabbit. Bloody thing, legs sprung up as it was roasting :shock: and it took all my resolve to get it out of the pan and chop some up. Went down very well...with Fu. 3 trial size bowls of the stuff, he had, as neither Han nor Bo would touch the damn thing - after all my efforts! There's still one in the freezer, too.

Weighed Han this morning, 4.8kg. That's after eating normally for quite a few days now so dread to think what he was when he came out of hospital.

Have a call in to the vet to discuss a Plan B but meanwhile we've got some more of the Hills I/D dry food. He won't eat the wet food equivalent, however.

The worst thing at the moment is his night terrors. You may remember these started long before his latest problems but, since he came home, they have gotten far worse. Last night Neo ended up going upstairs and peeling the tarp off the bed so he could sleep there, so that between us we had both floors covered and could try to calm Han down when he started howling.

Very limited success, two increasingly tired and unwell humans (plus however many poor neighbours are suffering with us), and I'm not sure where we go from here. :(

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 21st Feb, '12, 10:12

Poor fella, poor everybody. Night terrors sound awful, what exactly is he doing during the night terrors? A lot of yowling? Tearing the place up?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Feb, '12, 10:31

Lili, he just won't settle.

On a normal night we all go to bed, Bo has a wander across the bed and then usually goes off to a stand or footstool to sleep (in Summer at least), Fu plonks his fat butt down between Neo's legs and Han usually does the same with me. We all sleep, occasionally changing positions when our legs go dead, until Bo starts the breakfast dance.

Now (and for a while previously) Han will come to bed, but he won't tuck in and sleep. He wants a cuddle and then whoosh he's off, prowling around every room, up and down stairs, just crying very loudly. If we call him he might come back, clamp himself on my feet for a couple of minutes, give me a few bunny kicks, and then he's off again. We can't ignore him hoping he will stop, it's not fair on our neighbours. Normally we don't hear noise from any side/level but it's very quiet at night, so I'm sure they will hear him and eventually complain. Wouldn't blame them.

I've read up a lot and he's not alone in this http://www.ibabuzz.com/garybogue/2006/0 ... -at-night/ but for most there seems to be a reason.

Overactive thyroid? Nope, checked last week. Kidney problems? I will ask his vet but I would think they checked this when they did his full bloods the week before, and he's had two sets of x-rays and some ultrasound done. They found a slight heart murmur and inflammed intestines. Going blind, getting lost when he goes off in the night? I don't think so, I would think the vets would have noticed, and anyway he does it before he goes anywhere. Hungry? There is food available at all times. Separation anxiety? He leaves us to do it! Senile dementia? I don't know, but he's not quite ten yet. In pain? That's all I can think of but why do this almost exclusively at night? He seems quite happy during the day and, as I've said, he's eating, and doing all the other things you expect a cat to do.

We'll try a Feliway again, although I don't think it did much last time. I've had various other suggestions ranging from drugs to putting him down.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 21st Feb, '12, 10:46

I followed the link, how sad are all of those stories.

But I did chuckle over this line: "In the winter, our cats usually sleep with us, in warm weather they make other arrangements." Don't they!

Aw, poor Han, the hospitalization must have triggered underlying issues, too bad we don't know what they are.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 21st Feb, '12, 15:47

Good on you for trying the rabbit bit...typical that he won't eat it. At least he is eating something.

Oh those stories are so sad, so is yours K. Poor Han. (poor you) I don't have any suggestions I'm afraid. What do the vets say about it? I hope that the suggestiong to put him down was by some smart talker and not a vet! (Mind you, we had a vet once tell us to take our cat and shoot him as a fix for him peeing everywhere...needless to say we never entered that vets again!) I so wish I had something helpful to say.

My little cat yowls at night but only about once a week, she will sit in the middle of a room and howl for ages...I go and get her and she goes back to sitting in the middle of the room just yeow yeow yeow yeowing...fortunately we live in a house and it doesn't bother anyone except us. She has been checked out but they couldn't find any reason for it, nor make any suggestions, but I am wondering now after reading all those posts that perhaps it is a thyroid thing.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous