One poorly pussycat

A coal sack free zone. Brought to you by PetBuddies

Moderator: FurBaby

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

One poorly pussycat

Post by Kooky » 6th Feb, '12, 17:42

and one more crying because his buddy has been taken off somewhere and he doesn't know what's going on :( (I think Bo cares too, but she hides it.)

Han has been spectacularly sick today, first dry food and then tons of clear liquid which he managed to spray all over the apartment - and I mean spray! All over mirrors and anything else in his path, and he went in every room and even barfed on the spare bed.

I noticed he was foaming at the mouth so followed him on his stroll, which ended upstairs on our bed. He settled for a while although seemed to be breathing heavily and after a couple of scary cough/burp kind of noises he vomited up a load of blood. I got Neo home PDQ and they're now at the university vet school where they're taking blood and keeping him in overnight. He might go on a drip, depending on test results.

Any ideas?

My first thought is poisoning but he doesn't go out. We have had some workmen in - he barfed some carpet fibres yesterday from the off-cut they'd put down to protect the floor, which of course he chewed, and I'm wondering if he's got some longer ones stuck but does that explain the foaming mouth? There are no liquids, compounds, etc., left lying around.

He still licks the bloody Tibetan cabinet :( and also occasionally the new bamboo floor. Not sure how to stop him doing that.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Re: One poorly pussycat

Post by Pinklepurr » 6th Feb, '12, 17:48

Oh no K, that sounds awful. It does sound like a reaction to something,he hasn't got to something in the bathroom has he? I have just found out that one of our cats is a bleach addict (apparently it affects them like catnip) and whilst looking for info on that I found out that some cats are also into other laundry items that contain bleach and try to eat them, but I can't help you more than that. I hope they figure out what is wrong with him and it all turns out OK. :(
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 6th Feb, '12, 17:55

Hmmm, we don't have any bleach - all our cleaning products are eucalyptus based - but we do have cleaners who were in on Saturday. They're supposed to use enviro products too and there's no bleach smell when they've been but I should ask to see what they do use.

Han is such a drama queen and he usually goes quiet when he's barfed but this time I knew he was different. Glad I followed him upstairs.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 6th Feb, '12, 20:04

Oh no
I hope he feels better- any chance carpets could have fire retardant or some other spray on them but you would think all that stuff would be safe for pets/kids.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 6th Feb, '12, 21:00

Hope the vet can figure out what's causing it and fix him up. Doesn't sound like any fun for any of you and especially not Han :(

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 6th Feb, '12, 21:21

Hugs to you both of you x

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 6th Feb, '12, 22:11

Awww, that sucks for you and Han. Maybe he ate a poisonous insect? Were there any clues in the vomit as to what he had been eating? The pics I've seen show a very skinny cat. Maybe he's hyperthyroid? Easily treated.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 6th Feb, '12, 22:26

We did mention that I cleaned up a cockroach earlier that somebody had obviously snacked on but I'm 99% certain it was Fu. Ever the Geylang street cat.

Han is very skinny, always has been but then Bo is too. We've mentioned thyroid to his regular vet because of his howling, but they said he's fine and prescribed pheromones!

Bloods and x-rays showing nothing suspicious beyond dehydration and gas; they'll re-assess in the morning.

Reluctantly time to find a vet a bit closer than 30-45 mins away depending on time of day; we stayed with the old one when we moved because they're lovely and they adore our funny Singapore moggies but we now need somebody this side of the harbour. Maybe Bondi Vet :D

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 6th Feb, '12, 23:26

Oh No! I hope you have more answers tomorrow. :(
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 7th Feb, '12, 00:40

poor puss. hope he gets better soon.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 7th Feb, '12, 08:10

Quick update more or less same C&P from FB so apologies to those of you on both.

He's brighter this morning but they're worried he's ingested some of his puke and there's a risk of pneumonia, so they're rehydrating him, whacking in antibiotics, and transferring him to the general clinic attached to the university.

They've called Neo again and suggested more blood tests and ultrasounds, but to do them they'd have to give him more anaesthetic so I've asked him to stress that we only want them doing if the vets are worried about him. He's nearly 10 so I don't want them doing things just for the hell of it.

They don't seem to want to let go of him yet but he's not eating so we may go in later and see if he'll eat for us. He's nowhere near as strong and brave as his name was supposed to make him :) I'd prefer him home and I know a couple of cats that would obviously like that too.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 7th Feb, '12, 09:17

Don't know what to say, what a traumatic time for you all. I hope he feels better seeing you, it's so hard isn't it? If only they could tell you.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 7th Feb, '12, 17:30

Kooky, how's Han? Any updates?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 7th Feb, '12, 19:01

We went to see him at teatime, took his favourite wet food, dry food and treats as he hadn't eaten for them - he wouldn't eat a thing for us either. Very stressed, cowering in the back of the cage breathing heavily and growling - actually when we got there he was sat in his litter tray looking absolutely pitiful :(

He hasn't been sick since he went in but he's still dehydrated so on a drip. They wanted to keep him in tonight but I'm adamant he's coming home tomorrow if he's not sick again. We'll get him sorted out.

The ever increasing vet bill got added to tonight by us having a little crash on the way home. It's been a good day. :roll:

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 7th Feb, '12, 20:19

Having a little crash on the way home? Oh no.

I was hoping the antibiotic would work by now and he'd improve. I'm sure some TLC at home will do him good.

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 7th Feb, '12, 21:23

Glad to hear he's improving. I had to put down a cat with heart failure on Dec 23. Always a shitty experience.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 8th Feb, '12, 08:33

damn, A'less, sorry to hear that.

hope Han gets better, here's to hoping it's just a stuck furball.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Feb, '12, 08:52

Oh that's sad, Av - you'd adopted an older cat hadn't you?

Han is still breathing too quickly but they don't know how much of that is due to the stress of being there, so he's coming home at lunch time and we'll see if he settles down. X-rays were not a great view of his lungs, apparently, and I don't want him sedated again without good reason.

We need him home.
Attachments
Sad Boy.jpg

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 8th Feb, '12, 09:43

HOME! Give him TLC. Give him his best friend and lots of cuddles. :)

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 8th Feb, '12, 10:40

A little TLC and the feeling of being home is way better, no matter how good the vet.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Feb, '12, 11:52

He is home, he's sleeping it off and hopefully when he wakes up he will feel like giving himself a spruce up - he's a tad pongy! Eyes a bit rheumy too.

Breathing seems a bit fast and rattley, keeping a close eye on him. As are Bo and Fu, but keeping their distance as they usually do when one of them smells of hospitals.

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 8th Feb, '12, 11:54

Did they do an echocardiogram?

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Feb, '12, 12:01

No, just an x-ray so far but they said they couldn't see his lungs fully inflated due to his heart rate and they may want to follow it up with an ultrasound. If it doesn't slow down we'll assume it's not just the ordeal and let them sedate him again to do one.

I've patted and gently prodded his abdomen and he doesn't seem in any discomfort, but has had painkillers. I'll be happier when he eats something, he's quite weak and sleepy.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Feb, '12, 12:02

Smelly Cat.jpg
Smelly Cat.

Post Traumatic Stress

Post by avatarless » 8th Feb, '12, 12:14

Has he been coughing at all? Not vomiting, just coughing.