Why????

A coal sack free zone. Brought to you by PetBuddies

Moderator: FurBaby

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Why????

Post by slinky » 21st Mar, '13, 08:12

Who gets a puppy and then puts it in a crate outside to sleep all night?? I was irritated at 3:00am when its howling woke me up and it took nearly an hour for it to stop (not sure if anyone came out or not). Now it's 8:00am and it's STILL in the crate and at 6:45am when I was outside waiting for the bus with the kids no one was up to take it out as far as I could tell. Doesn't look like anyone has taken it out to pee or anything yet. Puppies are like babies for God's sake! they need to be taken out frequently to go to the bathroom because their bladders can't hold for 8-12 hours like and adult dog's can. Poor thing is probably sitting in his own waste. Now I'm just getting very angry!! [smilie=23_3.gif]

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Why????

Post by Kooky » 21st Mar, '13, 11:06

Ring the SPCA. They were really good when I rang about the dog left out all day every day on a sunny balcony behind Lor 24A, came out and talked to owners.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 21st Mar, '13, 12:19

These people are right next door, so I'm pretty sure we're going to have to figure out how to politely ask them to move the crate indoors. I'd feel fairly shitty about just calling the SPCA on them. I have nothing really against crate training, if done properly, but I shouldn't have to participate in the training of their dog by being woken up in the middle of the night. This is their deal and they need to put the crate inside -- day and night. They just got the dog yesterday, so I might be willing to give it some time (of course that depends on if I'm woken up again tonight and for how long...) and see how it shakes out. But, I don't think the dog should be confined to the crate outside when they are out during the day if it's for long periods of time as it's just too hot even though it is in a covered area and not in the direct sun.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 21st Mar, '13, 14:34

If they leave it out all night and they go out all day when do they interact with this poor dog?
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 21st Mar, '13, 14:53

You'd feel even more shitty if the dog died of overheating or neglect. See how things develop over the next few days and then make a decision on that call.

I don't agree with crating, full-stop, but then I'm soft as.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 21st Mar, '13, 15:20

Yeah, you don't agree with crating. And you don't get a sleep in from your pets.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 21st Mar, '13, 15:48

Kooky wrote:You'd feel even more shitty if the dog died of overheating or neglect. See how things develop over the next few days and then make a decision on that call.

I don't agree with crating, full-stop, but then I'm soft as.
He was let out this morning soon after I posted this thread - so around 8:20 or so and was put back in for a short-ish time later (maybe about an hour - obviously they had all gone out for a bit because the house was closed up) and has been out all afternoon so far as I can tell. Yes, I've been watching. Their son is off school this week, which I guess has played a role in the timing of getting the dog. When he's back in school all day next week, it will be interesting to see how long the dog is in the crate during the day.

As Mr. S pointed out this morning when I was mad about no one getting up to let the dog out to pee, I don't know for sure no one had been up before I was to let him out. But it was obvious no one was up over there at 6:45 and by 8:00 when I posted he was still in the crate and had started up howling again.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 21st Mar, '13, 17:15

Didn't Scrummy Mummy know a gal who crated her son? Or was the crate just to keep him still while she hosed him down? :D

Oh Slinks, that's terrible, I'd be upset too!! Poor dog.

I've never heard the term "crating" before, but I do believe that puppies and dogs benefit when they learn that they have a safe place that is quiet and just for them, be it a crate or a bed in a corner of a spare room that can be closed off. There are times when you need to get your pet out of the way, or safeguard it, when there are things going on in the house, or transport your pet. Cats I can just close in a room with a box, water and food, or just chuck 'em in a carrier (my cats will nap in them when I leave them open around the house). With dogs it's not so easy, they can yowl and dig and stress out.

I wish I had advice. Will like to know how you eventually go about it, though.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 22nd Mar, '13, 11:44

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Didn't Scrummy Mummy know a gal who crated her son? Or was the crate just to keep him still while she hosed him down? :D
Eeek!! I hope that was a joke :shock:

Well, we slept with ear plugs in last night. Certainly not something I want to have to do every night from now on, but at least I wasn't woken up by a howling dog. He was going at it around 10:30-11:00pm when we went to bed though. And someone was up with him around 6:30 this morning, so that was likely an improvement over yesterday. He's out in the crate howling now & has been for about an hour or so. Wonder how long before someone comes home to let him out?

They did say they need to put up some netting of some kind on the front gate and the sides adjacent to our house because they are concerned that he could get out, so maybe once they do this, he'll get the run of the place during the day because they'll be able to trust that he can't get out and get hurt or lost. Hope that's how it goes, but the whole thing certainly stresses me out more than I'd like :(

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 22nd Mar, '13, 12:54

Let's hope it's that. I wonder how much "people time" the pup gets?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 22nd Mar, '13, 14:04

Apparently the maid on the other side of us has complained about the noise to the dog family's maid and another one 3 doors down from dog's house either already has complained or is going to. I love it, because it might get me out of having to say anything to them. (Yes, I am not so good with confrontation.)

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 22nd Mar, '13, 20:31

Let's hope it doesn't get the pup dumped because it's too much hassle.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 24th Mar, '13, 10:08

I'm told the woman 3 doors down went and complained about the noise in person. The dog has now been moved inside, so hopefully he's happier. I know I am.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 24th Mar, '13, 10:20

Yay!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

BugatiX17
Lurker
Mood: Frustrated

Post by BugatiX17 » 26th Mar, '13, 16:41

poor dog. deserves better than those crappy owners. And SPCA is useless as well. Didn't they put down a dog by mistake recently. A golden retriever.
Life is too short to be sat in a slow pumpkin. - Cinderella.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 26th Mar, '13, 21:10

I'd get your facts right. The SPCA did nothing of the sort, whereas the AVA were the people that put down a golden retriever.

And it seems like it was more about poor customer service skills than anything bad about putting the dog down.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 19th Aug, '13, 13:07

Apparently the SPCA have paid a visit and issued some sort of warning - happened while we were in the US in June & July. Same lady a couple doors down must have called. I guess the dog still isn't allowed in the house, only in the back stairwell to sleep. It seems he was howling away again on Sat evening (we were out, so didn't hear it). Lady down the street rang the bell & told the maid if they don't do something she'll call the police next time. Owners were out of town & maid is apparently afraid of the dog, so won't let it into the basement with her. I guess the maid stayed home all day Sun so the dog wouldn't howl, but apparently doesn't want to tell the family about the warning the woman gave regarding calling the police. This is a clusterf*ck and surely can't end well. The neighbor lady is most definitely going to call the police because there will surely be a next time. Anyone know what the police will do? Will they report to SPCA or something else?