I'm a new man!

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

I'm a new man!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 16th Jun, '08, 14:38

Most of you will remember that I went on a diet earlier this year. A few of you have even met me at Kooky's before Xmas last year.

Today is the last day of my diet. It has been hugely successful. Beyond my wildest dreams actually. I have spent the past 22 weeks on a fantastic weight loss program that is more a lifestyle change than a "diet". While the credit for losing the weight goes to the Doctor who designed and oversees theses weight loss programs, I would not have know about the program had it not been for Baloo who advised me that he was near finishing his run on the program with his unbelievable 49kg loss in 6 months. At that time I though :shock: what in the devil must I do on this diet to obtain losses like that. After reading the links that he gave me, I found that his losses were "almost normal" with others both before and since. A few losing up to 90kg in a year.

Anyway, today is the last day of the programme proper.

I started the diet on the 13th of January but cut down on some stuff one week earlier. After 20 weeks on the program I had lost exactly 25kg. I've been on a specially prepared stabilization diet for the past 16 days. This was to stop the weight losses without causing our bodies to react adversely and causing cravings, hunger and ultimately weight gain. I have lost another .8kg since then for a total weight loss of 25.8kg. I'm 1.7m tall and weighed 94kg when I started. Today, I weigh 68.2kg and I have gone from a 40" waistline to a 31". I can now wear the Tuxedo I got married in, back in 1983, for my 25th Wedding Anniversary this coming September. Do you have any idea how good that feels?

The weight-loss program does not have you taking any pills, special shakes, specially prepackaged foods or supplements (other the multivitamins - which you buy from whomever you feel like). While the diet is a low carbohydrate one, it IS NOT a high protein or high fat one. The food is all fresh and unprocessed consisting of leans meats, seafoods & poultry and plenty of fruits and vegetables. Of course there are foods that are not allowed during the duration of the program but hey, it's a minor inconvenience considering what can happen.

The weight loss is great. But the real eye-opener is the other things that have happened due to this program. My HBP which I have had to deal with for the past decade has been borderline high around 145/95 while under medication (2 types). I am also a long time gout sufferer and cholesterol was elevated so was also taking meds for that & the gout. In February I had an appointment with my GP (usually quarterly). He noticed that I appeared to have lost weight (explanations then followed, along with links for his own research as he had not heard of the program either). I was 4 weeks into the program at that time and had lost about 6kg. He cut my Gout meds (allipurinol) in half.

Saturday two weeks ago I went again to the doc. He almost fell over. However, he wasn't complete dumfounded as he had done some research. I, on the other hand had quite taking my BP med on Thursday so Sat was the beginning of the 3rd day without any. When he took my blood pressure he had to check and do it 3 times because my blood pressure was NORMAL at 110/70. I asked him how long before residuals of the meds would be out of my system, and he told me 24 to 36 hours max. At any rate, he stopped all my BP meds right then. He also asked me to monitor it for two weeks and ordered a full blood work-up and urinalysis. When I returned this past Saturday for the follow-up. My blood pressure was still at 110/70 AND My uric acid levels were within normal ranges as were both my good and bad cholesterol. Therefore he has stopped all of my medications now. For the first time in a decade I'm 100% pill free and literally "in Perfect Condition" health-wise.

Now comes the rebuilding of my physical self so I can strap on the scuba tanks again! I've just regained 20 years of my life. I weight the same amount that I did in July 1968 when I was discharged from active duty. That was 40 years ago.

I went from this: [smilie=mango.gif] to: [smilie=party0045.gif]

If anybody amongst our readers needs to seriously consider doing something about their weight then I would strongly recommend that you consider getting more information from Baloo or myself. This program rocks!

SMS
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on 16th Jun, '08, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: I'm a new man!

Post by Kooky » 16th Jun, '08, 14:45

[smilie=bowdown.gif] sms. That's brilliant.

[smilie=yahoo.gif]

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 16th Jun, '08, 14:47

Can you post the links here? or send me an sms? I am doing some research on this at the moment.
Thanks
PS _ well done!

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 16th Jun, '08, 14:47

Yeah, well done SMS.

I think just the fact that you are now off your HBP & Gout meds is brilliant enough news. That's got to save you a fair bit over the next 25 years.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 16th Jun, '08, 14:50

Is this something you have to do through the doctor based in Singapore? I have a friend locally who's been working really hard with a personal trainer and it's been really inspiring to watch her discipline and body change. I'm careful in what I say because I don't want to push her the wrong way. One thing I've noticed is that she isn't so good in a few aspects of her diet, and been struggling a getting that weight off at a rate I might expect for the amount of physical activity she's doing. Is there something you can PM me and I'll send it off to her with your recommendations, and baloos' (we are friends enough that it won't offend)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 16th Jun, '08, 14:52

oh yeah, brilliant effort. you must feel so light on your feet, and really proud you reached your goal!!

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 16th Jun, '08, 14:54

Last Thursday, or maybe the Thursday before that, there was a segment on Today Tonight (Australian TV) about rapid weight loss. The dark haired lady, Terri, who lost 90kg in about a year, was doing the same thing SMS and I did.

I think there is a video feed still on the TT site.

It's bigger in Oz than it is in Singapore. Cohen's is the name of the programme but to succeed, you really need to get your head into the right space.

Edit: If anyone is really serious and wants to get more info, PM is the best way.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 16th Jun, '08, 15:16

Baloo, just to let you know, I obviously caught your message, hence the post, I've also posted the virtually the same message on singaporeexpats as well. with a referral back here just in case.

Thanks everybody. And like Baloo says, just PM either of us for more info. The program is brilliant. 5 thumbs up in my book.

If you are serious about weight loss and, as Baloo says, you can get you head into the right space it works fantastically.

Edited: To add the link for Teri's appearance on Australia's "Today Tonight" on http://au.todaytonight.yahoo.com/articl ... rmone-diet. Unfortunately it would seem the video clips is not still there, just the article.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on 16th Jun, '08, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 16th Jun, '08, 15:19

thanks, sent the link on

kittykat
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: In a state of flux

Post by kittykat » 16th Jun, '08, 15:28

Well done SMS. Superb effort... [smilie=meclap.gif] [smilie=brut.gif] [smilie=brut.gif] [smilie=alc.gif]
Because you're worth it...

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 16th Jun, '08, 16:07

That is really fantastic news mate [smilie=bowdown.gif] [smilie=bowdown.gif] There is no better feeling than feeling fit and healthy [smilie=yahoo.gif]
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 16th Jun, '08, 16:34

Way to go SMS!

It is amazing what weight loss does for your body. My father had diabetes and went on a low carb, low fat, mixed protein and veges/salad diet and in addition to his weight loss his diabetes disappeared. Amazing.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 16th Jun, '08, 16:46

Congrats, SMS!! What a bonus to have your BP back to normal and the gout gone too!! [smilie=bowdown.gif] [smilie=meclap.gif]

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 16th Jun, '08, 17:05

Well done, sms!! [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif]

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 16th Jun, '08, 17:39

sundaymorningstaple wrote:... A few losing up to 90kg in a year.

If I lost 90kg I'd weigh... -6kg.

:)

Could still do with losing 10 or 15.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 16th Jun, '08, 18:05

This sounds all nice and good but what's the diet actually about? I understand it's individual but there has to be some principle behind it. Can baloo or SMS share that?

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 16th Jun, '08, 18:23

It's basically a hormonal based diet. Meaning that an adjustment to your HGH is done through a sort of reprogramming of your system. This in turn allows you to lose weight rapidly while not feeling hunger. It also teaches you how to eat properly to avoid insulin spikes which in turn create cravings/hunger which starts a vicious circle feeding on itself. During the diet a fine balance is maintained to avoid insulin response and keep serotonin levels at a point that doesn't cause hunger. This coupled with the fact that it's about an 800 calorie diet causes rapid weight loss. The program is all non-processed foods, and you have to drink 2 to 3 l of water daily to stay hydrated to keep flushing toxins out of the body as the body processes the stored fats and releases the toxins stored in the fat cells. The program is supported and monitored with 4-weekly blood tests to help monitor your liver & kidney functions. Works a beaut! The only problem is you will lose muscle tone (not tissue, just tone) as an 800 calorie diet will not support any exercise regime. That will be starting tomorrow!

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 16th Jun, '08, 18:29

so basically you can't do any exercise during the diet?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 16th Jun, '08, 18:51

congrats, SMS! what a fantastic story and great effort!

hmm... maybe time for an avatar change? ;)

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 16th Jun, '08, 18:58

Lichtgestalt wrote:so basically you can't do any exercise during the diet?
You're not getting enough input to exercise vigorously. When I tried to exercise I became very hungry and felt weak. The programme is designed to keep you feeling good while maximising weight loss without the exercising.

Once I started up again after it finished, I really hadn't lost that much strength. Fitness was quick to build back up because there was a lot less of me to get fit.

I was sceptical at first and that's why twice I tried starting gym workouts again until I realised that the people that came up with this programme know more than me and most other people who were giving me their unsolicited, unresearched advice.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 16th Jun, '08, 19:08

Burbage wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:... A few losing up to 90kg in a year.

If I lost 90kg I'd weigh... -6kg.

:)

Could still do with losing 10 or 15.
:lol: i'd be -23... [smilie=groovy.gif]

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 16th Jun, '08, 19:18

Well done SMS! Fantastic news! [smilie=yahoo.gif]
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 16th Jun, '08, 19:20

Good for you sms, enjoy the new you!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 16th Jun, '08, 20:01

My sentiments too. So good to hear some happy news. Go, you thing!
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Jun, '08, 20:30

Great work, SMS.

Tas, one thing about training to lose weight. The inital training, even at high rates, you will stay the same in weight. This is mainly as the body gets more toned, increasing muscle mass. Only after 4-5 weeks of work will the weight start being lost, and not at great rates. Last year prior to the boxing then I managed only to lose 6-7kg after 3 months of hard work including 5 weeks off alcohol!

Seen several people go through the whole "I'm exercising lots but not losing weight" thing. If they are changing body shape, altering % body fat, and having increased amount of energy, then surely that's enough?

If you are increasing exercise rates, it is important to make sure you eat correctly and at the right times. And water water water. Drink loads.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal