Allergies - what does that mean?

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Allergies - what does that mean?

Post by Aliya » 8th Jul, '08, 09:38

Dog and cat dander makes me wheeze. So I know that I am allergic to this. But I went to the doctor and had lots of tests and he told me that I was allergic (high) to wheat, rye, eggs, dairy, alcohol (!) and something else, cant remember.

"right, I understand that!" I said brightly to the doctor and tottered off.

Problem is I dont quite know what these allergies do to me. I know wheat in bread does make me a bit acidy and I do feel tired if I have a lunch with alot of bread but that is about it.

Q - what does having an allergy mean if it doesnt leap up and hit you in the face so to speak??? If I am allergic to all those things then what should be happening to me when I eat them?
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Re: Allergies - what does that mean?

Post by Satellite » 8th Jul, '08, 09:43

I don't know but for me, if there is no physiological manifestation, then I wouldn't consider them to be allergic. But that's just me.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 8th Jul, '08, 09:43

Did he say they were allergies or intolerances, A? They're very different and I did use the word allergy wrongly in the other thread, mainly because I'm lazy.

I have intolerances, and suspect you are the same. Noah has allergies - i.e., only needs to sit next to somebody eating prawns for his lips to swell up.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 8th Jul, '08, 09:45

perhaps the logical and obvious thing would be to totter back to the doctor for an explanation. or even more easy, phone the surgery.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Jul, '08, 09:45

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 8th Jul, '08, 09:49

Allergies generate an immune response. If your tonsils swell a bit after eating something then you're probably allergic to it.

The severity of the immune response is what marks out a dangerous allergy from one that isn't dangerous.

Intolerances tend to be chemical in nature usually due to genetics. It's usually due to not being able to digest certain foods properly, and eating those foods causes a toxic effect.

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 8th Jul, '08, 09:57

Definately are allergies. I do find my mouth swells up a bit after wheat and some dairy. Tas I did ask him about this afterwards and he was surprised that I have such a high allergy factor with a small response.

It suprised me that the allergies were categorised as high when I dont have a big response to them. However I am often tired, wonder if knocking all diary and wheat and sob alcohol out for a bit will sort that out - and a few early nights...???
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 8th Jul, '08, 09:58

It's also said that, if you avoid those foods long enough, the intolerance will disappear. Something that won't happen with an allergy.

Example: 3 years ago I had a severe intolerance to sugar cane. 2 years off my favourite tipple (Bacardi) and it has greatly reduced. :lol:

The top of your Yorktests have a Legend. Burb will correct me but I think if the results are marked IgG, they're intolerances, IgE and they're allergies. The report that comes with the results will tell you if and how frequently you can eat those foods, although I think Doc Lee and certainly Mr Jo would say avoid them altogether and you'll feel a lot better.

If I eat wheat I will bloat for days. Oh god, I couldn't resist the chocolate digestives :oops: so I know it's going to be an issue, and I might need to take some enzymes. Ditto dairy; I have something to help me digest lactose when I fall off the ice-cream wagon.