Splenda

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Splenda

Post by nev » 24th Mar, '09, 14:28

Why does Splenda cost a bomb in Singapore??? Splenda is the most expensive (last time I checked it's $118 for a box that costs US$6 in the US!), but all sugar substitutes are ridiculously priced here.

Does anyone know a cheaper alternative to Splenda? I don't like Equal or SweetNLow because of the bitter aftertaste.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Splenda

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 24th Mar, '09, 14:33

My dad was mailing it to me last time I used it. Can anyone on the "outside" send you a regular supply?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Mar, '09, 14:40

Sounds like Borderlinx/Comgateway/Vpost might be a cheaper solution.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Mar, '09, 14:41

I usually get my sister to send me some but USPS has lost my stuff so many times that I've lost count :evil:
Other forwarders are so expensive that it's hardly worth the effort.

Sigh. I guess I have to resort to Equal or others.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 24th Mar, '09, 14:42

What does Equal contain? Are you sure it's safe to use?

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 24th Mar, '09, 15:20

I always buy a load of Splenda in the US and carry it back (or ship it to myself) when I go. It is stupidly expensive here when you can find it. I'm not going again until July, but maybe I can send some to you or carry it back.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 24th Mar, '09, 15:42

why do you use sweeteners? *just curious*

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 24th Mar, '09, 15:49

I couldn't think of the name of the one I was advised to use - just googled, it's Xylitol. Agave syrup too. More natural alternatives to sugar.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 24th Mar, '09, 16:47

I wanted to use Xylitol here for baking but is darned expensive here and you can only get it from a manufacturer so I don't think I'll be buying any in commercial quantities. I saw it online in Oz and it's something like A$48/kilo. :o

So, I've just cut all the sugar quantities in my baking by half and be done with it!

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Mar, '09, 17:37

canuck wrote:why do you use sweeteners? *just curious*
Because I'm "allergic" to sugar, as in, it makes me fat. :mrgreen:

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Mar, '09, 17:37

Kooky wrote:What does Equal contain? Are you sure it's safe to use?
Hmmm good question. I'll need to look into it.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Mar, '09, 17:40

slinky wrote:I always buy a load of Splenda in the US and carry it back (or ship it to myself) when I go. It is stupidly expensive here when you can find it. I'm not going again until July, but maybe I can send some to you or carry it back.
Thanks slinky but I don't want to trouble you. I'll try Equal or something for now, and if I really can't stand it I'll get my sister to send me some (not by USPS!!). It's just crazy to pay $100+ for Splenda if I can get something else.

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 24th Mar, '09, 18:08

Just try cutting back on sugar/sweeteners slowly. We did just that though we were only using it in coffee and tea. Now don't consume any sugar or sweeteners at all - apart from those hidden away in some processed foods.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 24th Mar, '09, 20:00

nev wrote:
slinky wrote:I always buy a load of Splenda in the US and carry it back (or ship it to myself) when I go. It is stupidly expensive here when you can find it. I'm not going again until July, but maybe I can send some to you or carry it back.
Thanks slinky but I don't want to trouble you. I'll try Equal or something for now, and if I really can't stand it I'll get my sister to send me some (not by USPS!!). It's just crazy to pay $100+ for Splenda if I can get something else.
Well, if you change your mind when July rolls around, let me know. Odd about the USPS -- I ship stuff back here from the US with them all the time (we can never seem to fit everything in our luggage when we leave :lol: ) & nothing's ever been lost (knock wood?).

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Mar, '09, 22:33

phuketkaren wrote:Just try cutting back on sugar/sweeteners slowly. We did just that though we were only using it in coffee and tea. Now don't consume any sugar or sweeteners at all - apart from those hidden away in some processed foods.
I have one sweetener with my coffee every morning, that's it. My diet is also very low in carbs, I cook most of what I eat so I know how much carbs is in it. Oh, and I don't eat fruits. Works for me.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 24th Mar, '09, 22:36

slinky wrote:
Well, if you change your mind when July rolls around, let me know. Odd about the USPS -- I ship stuff back here from the US with them all the time (we can never seem to fit everything in our luggage when we leave :lol: ) & nothing's ever been lost (knock wood?).
It's weird but they lost stuff I sent from here (three times), and lost one package my sister sent me from there. And they never turned up :evil:

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 25th Mar, '09, 05:30

Sounds like your local postie or sorting office is to blame, nev.

Hmmm, just a thought, does this thing come in the form of white powder? Not great stuff to send through the post.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Mar, '09, 06:21

i've been using Equal for ages, really like the taste and definitely prefer it to sugar.

hey, maybe it's addictive? [smilie=stupido.gif]

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th Mar, '09, 08:08

nev wrote:
slinky wrote:
It's weird but they lost stuff I sent from here (three times), and lost one package my sister sent me from there. And they never turned up :evil:

One thought I had is that if you send it surface as opposed to air mail it takes F O R E V E R to get here. I've thought things were lost before but they ultimately turned up -- but, if your things didn't there's some other problem.

Re: the white powder, K, the stuff comes in little packets or in larger bags (if you buy the Splenda for baking) that have 'Splenda' written all over them and they are clearly products purchased in a store and not 'contraband' of any sort :lol:

Edit: M -- I think Splenda tastes much better than Equal and it doesn't have aspertame like Equal does. Give it a try & see what you think.
Last edited by slinky on 25th Mar, '09, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 25th Mar, '09, 08:19

slinky wrote:M -- I think Splenda tastes much better than Equal and it doesn't have aspertame like Equal does. Give it a try & see what you think.
there's nothing wrong with Aspartame, unless you're a Conspiracy Theorist. :P

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th Mar, '09, 08:21

I just meant the taste of aspartame, not the conspiracy stuff :lol: Equal is my sweetener of choice when Splenda is not available :D

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 25th Mar, '09, 08:24

slinky, you need to watch Border Security :lol: Smugglers can be very clever indeed.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 25th Mar, '09, 08:54

u want me to send u splenda ?
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 25th Mar, '09, 08:57

nev wrote:
canuck wrote:why do you use sweeteners? *just curious*
Because I'm "allergic" to sugar, as in, it makes me fat. :mrgreen:

lol :)

it's a shame chocolate is so delicious!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 25th Mar, '09, 09:26

The packages were all registered and air-mailed, and I can track it thru Singpost site until it leaves Singapore. They did leave Singapore, because when I checked the USPS site they said they received and dispatched it - then it disappeared. It's the same scenario for all three outgoing packages. Singpost compensated me, of course, and the packages are not very valuable (some clothes, trinkets, girly stuff for my sister), but it's just soooo anooying :evil:

Packaging - as slinky said. It's a box with SPLENDA on it. They're welcome to open it and have a little taste :D

I agree with slinky - Splenda tastes much better than Equal.

choc - some people can do without chocolate :mrgreen:
Thanks for the offer but I think I'll get Equal and see how it goes. ;)