What do you think about flu jabs?

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Re: What do you think about flu jabs?

Post by Dinosaur » 14th May, '09, 11:49

Morrolan wrote: have been down with some stupid chest infection bug for more than a week now,
is that why you've still got that blue mask on, so we won't catch it from you? :?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 14th May, '09, 12:56

phuketkaren wrote:
Morrolan wrote: have been down with some stupid chest infection bug for more than a week now,
is that why you've still got that blue mask on, so we won't catch it from you? :?
'still'? it's not like i'm wearing a Santa hat... [smilie=tease.gif]

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 14th May, '09, 12:59

One of my kids saw that picture & mask, M, and said - why is he wearing that thing on his face? (or something along those lines) :lol:

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 14th May, '09, 13:01

Oh, it's a mask ?

I thought it was some souvenir M picked up while entertaining clients in Sth America's famed strip clubs.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 14th May, '09, 13:19

[smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 14th May, '09, 13:48

baloo wrote:Oh, it's a mask ?

I thought it was some souvenir M picked up while entertaining clients in Sth America's famed strip clubs.
and you know this from experience?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 14th May, '09, 14:07

nice subtle deflection without denying it M, well done.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 14th May, '09, 14:24

baloo wrote:nice subtle deflection without denying it M, well done.
:P

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 14th May, '09, 23:55

Sorry Morro, don't know if it's a good idea or bad idea regarding flu jabs whilst already ill. The NHS website says only those with previous severe reactions to flu jabs or allergy to eggs shouldn't get it. Shouldn't be a major issue for pregnant women, but speak to your doctor first. So....check with your doctor. It shoudl be a doctor administering it at your company so take an appointment, ask, and if they say anything you don't like, don't have it. It is very much your choice, you can always ask for it later. The minimum you should do is talk to your GP to find out what the issues are.

(I would suggest you don't do a general google search for "should I have the flu jab whilst ill" as you'll hear of plenty of people who died when they had it. )

The reason I put that was just to have another perspective on it. It's not just about whether you get seasonal flu or not. It's about whether you will know what type of flu you have. I reckon the next set of seasonal flu jabs will have the current version of H1N1 vaccines in them....I think it take 3-4 months to develop and another 1-2 months to grow it up.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 15th May, '09, 04:19

I'm a big fan of flu shots (jabs). I've had one every year since I lost my spleen in a car accident in 2000. I haven't had the flu since.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 15th May, '09, 04:55

Fat Bob wrote:...allergy to eggs shouldn't get it...
Interesting. I've never thought of having one for the reason somebody said - there are so many strains out there, what's the point - but then I have serious autoimmune disorders so should I give my immune system all the help it can get, but then you say that.

Maybe I'll just stick with what my Sg doc did, and have vitamins injected in my bottom. Ouch.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th May, '09, 07:26

Depends, is it a real allergy or one made up by the SG doctor who injected you up the bum and charged you $$$$?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 15th May, '09, 08:42

FB's put a perspective on this I hadn't considered, but I've never had one, and don't plan to.

Colds and flu will come and go, I don't see the people getting jabbed have more or less sickness than those who don't, and dunno, I just don't trust the whole idea of this level pf preventative medicine. When I get flu, I take the hard stuff, maybe some antibiotics, sleep a lot the first 2 days, and I'm usually back to normal soon enough, faster than sick my colleagues who insist on being in the office infecting everyone.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 15th May, '09, 09:00

FB: given that this flu is H1N1 (bird flu) based, can they make vaccine the traditional way (using eggs)? i understood that bird flu based viruses kill the eggs making it impossible to make vaccine in this way. or is it now 'safe' considering it vectored through pigs?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 15th May, '09, 17:02

Well, H1N1 is actual a variant usually found in pigs. but your question is relevant to the possible bird flu that was being transmitted from birds to humans, and was H5N1. I'm not sure whether the fact it's made in eggs will have any effect on whether it would still be good against bird flu. That's something they'd test out.

Sardi, why do you take antibacterials for a viral infection? Do you have any other vaccinations? Tetnus, polio, diptheria, yellow fever?
Last edited by Fat Bob on 15th May, '09, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 17th May, '09, 12:21

I take antibiotics for the usual bacterial-related illnesses which the GP deems appropriate. Like most I've had tetanus, polio and the other life-threatening inoculations as a child, but I've never got re-inoculated, and am overdue. But I just never liked the idea of introducing those kind of chemicals into my body for things like flu that I'll get over in a few days anyway, and because of the side effects, cost and potential ineffectiveness.

Karen's other thread on this is relevant - living in SE Asia there are things for which back home we wouldn't necessarily need but probably do here.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 17th May, '09, 12:56

Sardonicus wrote: Karen's other thread on this is relevant - living in SE Asia there are things for which back home we wouldn't necessarily need but probably do here.
But, again, you have to make a personal choice on them. Back in the UK, when I was there, the NHS (National Health Service) was a bit "nanny state" and you were told about jabs to have and just did them without questioning (or at least I did). Of course, out in Asia (and I guess Aus and NZ too) you have a choice. And I'm still no wiser on those jabs required. I can go to our local clinic here and I'm sure he'll say don't bother with them (as he's a busy man). I can go to one of the international hospitals here and I'm sure they'll sell me the whole lot of jabs at a price 'cause they like to make a lot of money.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 17th May, '09, 15:19

Jabs are not a guarantee. For many years when I was travelling in Africa and the Middle East my typhoid vaccinations were studiously kept up to date, but I still got typhoid in Saudi and the consensus was that I probably contracted it from the British Airways meal on the way from London to Riyadh.

I agree with some of the other posts that in Singapore everything from a slightly runny nose to a mild cough is called 'flu', which indicates to me that most people here have never experienced real flu. It may be because in the UK, flu in winter is quite common and people know the diffrerence between a cold and flu. I had it a couple of times as a child and it really does knock you out with severe fever, painful joints, sore throat and a host of other nasty symptoms. It always used to amuse me when people came into the office here saying, "Oh I'm not 100%, I've got the flu". It was always hard to resist the temptation to say, "No you haven't you silly bugger, you've just got a slight dose of the common cold. If you had flu you'd be flat on your back in bed sweating like a pig".
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.