Coffee bad for you, coffee good for you

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Coffee bad for you, coffee good for you

Post by Dinosaur » 6th Jul, '09, 17:05

Something like 6 years ago before I left the UK for good, my local Doc told me I was drinking way too much coffee. I happen to like coffee. I was drinking something like 5 mugs a day. So I cut back to 2 mugs a day and have kept it up ever since.

A couple of years ago in Singapore, a friend had a stroke, and he was told to cut back his coffee. To be fair, he hit the smokes and booze big time as well.

So.... now scientists in the good ol' US reckon we should be drinking 5 cups of coffee a day to ward off dementia.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090706/tu ... 23e80.html

I mean, for feck sake, is it good for you or bad for you?

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Coffee bad for you, coffee good for you

Post by baloo » 6th Jul, '09, 17:14

Depends, are you showing any early signs of dementia ?
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 6th Jul, '09, 17:21

baloo wrote:Depends, are you showing any early signs of dementia ?
I don't think so. Something like 6 years ago before I left the UK for good, my local Doc told me I was drinking way too much coffee. I happen to like coffee. I was drinking something like 5 mugs a day. So I cut back to 2 mugs a day and have kept it up ever since.

A couple of years ago in Singapore, a friend had a stroke, and he was told to cut back his coffee. To be fair, he hit the smokes and booze big time as well.

So.... now scientists in the good ol' US reckon we should be drinking 5 cups of coffee a day to ward off dementia.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090706/tu ... 23e80.html

I mean, for feck sake, is it good for you or bad for you? [smilie=tease.gif] [smilie=tease.gif] [smilie=tease.gif]

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 6th Jul, '09, 18:05

Heheheh!

As with most diseases, it's whether your environment and genetic make up make you susceptible to such things. And probably how you have your coffee.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 6th Jul, '09, 20:14

I think it's more like a curve - it's ok in moderation but at some point it becomes not so ok.

And it's like sugar - if you eat more you need more, if you go cold turkey you don't need it.

Don't they say high doses of coffee (it is after all just a legalised substance) cause more incidents of female breast cancer? Or it that just one of those things one of 'they' say that just as many of 'they' refute....
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 7th Jul, '09, 01:42

hmmm i was about to say that coffee leaches calcium, but then I chocolated and it's not very much...

www.pnf.org/CoffeeEdited041001.pdf interesting summary!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 7th Jul, '09, 15:10

Sardonicus wrote: And it's like sugar - if you eat more you need more,
Is that like If I drink a glass of wine, I need another one afterwards ?

Aerin
Lurker
Mood: Good

Post by Aerin » 24th May, '11, 13:12

Coffee is a good thing and has many benefits.It reduces weight and keeps us active but excess of everything is not good.So we should try to drink coffee but not in a routine.We should avoid to drink it daily.
Aerin

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 24th May, '11, 15:02

Why?

bryannnnn
Limp Member
Mood: cool

Kopi kering

Post by bryannnnn » 3rd Jun, '11, 18:22

Today my teh tarik chap told me his uncle eats, yes eats coffee. This uncle mixes pure coffee powder with sugar and eats the mix by the spoonfuls the whole day every day. He's 70+ and chops coconuts 7 days a week, which he then ties onto his bicycle in a big pile and then walks the lot to the market, apparently without so much as breaking a sweat.

I know it doesn't really answer your question, Dinosaur, but there you have it.
Last edited by bryannnnn on 3rd Jun, '11, 18:23, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan Norman
Malaysia Sea Sports

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 4th Jun, '11, 13:39

Mmmm

Eddie John
Lurker

Post by Eddie John » 8th Jun, '11, 19:12

It is not an easy question that is it suitable or not. Because it is suitable for those whose stomach can just bear it and i think it is suitable and i like coffee.
Eddie John

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 8th Jun, '11, 20:17

Eddie John wrote:It is not an easy question that is it suitable or not. Because it is suitable for those whose stomach can just bear it and i think it is suitable and i like coffee.
I love coffee but sadly my stomach can't take anything containing caffeine now, which rules out tea too. But I have found some excellent decaf tea in Marks and Spencers. If you gave it to a regular tea drinker they would not be able to tell the difference.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 9th Jun, '11, 08:00

I buy the Dilmah brand decaf tea, Mildura also available in Aus. They lack the flavour strength but passable when you're desperate for a cuppa in the evening. Imagine the M&S pretty good if anything to go by when was in Hong Kong buying stuff up for the hotel room :D
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 11th Jun, '11, 11:37

Tas wrote:I buy the Dilmah brand decaf tea, Mildura also available in Aus. They lack the flavour strength but passable when you're desperate for a cuppa in the evening. Imagine the M&S pretty good if anything to go by when was in Hong Kong buying stuff up for the hotel room :D
I found the Dilmah decaf tea pretty tasteless. If you gave someone a cup of the M&S tea and didn't tell them it was decaf I doubt whether they'd tell the difference.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

hectort
Lurker
Mood: happy

Post by hectort » 12th Jun, '11, 16:10

I have started drinking to get me to survive med school and I think it is already taking its toll on me. I started too young on getting my caffeine fix which almost be on a daily basis to let me stay up late to finish paperwork and read through all the materials. I noticed that my hands are starting to shake when holding apparatus. Knowing that you are just as good as your stable hands, I stopped depending on them. we'll see how things would turn out in the coming months.

singaporegirl
Lurker

Post by singaporegirl » 28th Jun, '11, 13:55

Could it be due to excessive amounts of coffee?

I'm surviving on 2 cups a day and think it's still a moderate amount to feel any negative impact.

bryannnnn
Limp Member
Mood: cool

Post by bryannnnn » 30th Jun, '11, 13:01

I used to get cramps after drinking coffee, but drinking it with plenty of milk, real milk, not wanna-be milk, my tum is all good. Perhaps the milk binds the caffeine?

Hectort, I doubt that coffee has that effect accumulatively. That said, I do think that too many cups of coffee on any given day or night will make you feel real strung out.

I remember drinking glass after glass of Coke during exams; it did keep me awake, but I felt very ADHD-y. It felt like bees and wasps were buzzing their way through every single one of my veins relentlessly. Not a good feeling.
Bryan Norman
Malaysia Sea Sports