Flu

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Flu

Post by JJ » 13th Mar, '08, 07:19

I just got an email about free flu injections for everyone in the company next week. Is this a good thing to do? i mean does it actually work? It said it only protects against 3 strains - i would imagine that there are lots of different flu strains so is it really worth it?
Just interested. I will probably go for it as better safe than sorry, and every year have been thinking about it... but just wondering if all the specky :D scientists here can tell me the deal. 8-)

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Flu

Post by baloo » 13th Mar, '08, 07:27

Had them a couple of times and didn't get the flu that year. Nor most others years actually. If it's your first time for flu shots, expect to feel ill later the same day with flu like symptoms.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Mar, '08, 09:39

Hmmm....here's me thinking they were only suitable for those most at risk, like old people.... :D

Yes, JJ, I would get them. In actual fact, I do get them. When I didn't have them I got a secondary infection which took longer to get rid of and was particularly horrible, especially if I got it 2-3 times a year. Now it's rare that I get them.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 13th Mar, '08, 09:47

Fat Bob wrote:I would get them. In actual fact, I do get them. When I didn't have them I got a secondary infection which took longer to get rid of and was particularly horrible, especially if I got it 2-3 times a year. Now it's rare that I get them.
I don't get it - is it rare that you get flu shots or secondary infections?

Oh, and for the record, my employer offers them, and I get them. Can't say how effective they are 'coz when I didn't get them I didn't get it (flu) any more or less than than I get it since I've been getting them.

[smilie=tease.gif]
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 13th Mar, '08, 09:50

they are just round about ways to insert micro-trackers into your body [smilie=whistle.gif]

(making up for the loss of MrOz) ;)

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 13th Mar, '08, 09:59

and if it says it only protects against 3 strains, CDCs check the movement of various strains each season and will develop vaccines that are effective against the nastiest ones in your region currently, but not all of them, which would be a really, really big injection and would suck worse than flu itself.

BTW, LOVE the avatar. [smilie=bowdown.gif]
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 13th Mar, '08, 10:01

Many employers do it because they're convinced that the cost of fluvax is more than made up for by increased productivity due to less unplanned absences caused by 'flu. Don't know if there's any evidence to support it though.

Also wonder if there's a certain amount of psychological "I've had the shot, so cannot take time off for flu" effect.

And I support the micro-tracker theory. Could also be Borg nanoprobes.

Paranoid? Who said I was paranoid? [smilie=heuuu.gif]
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 13th Mar, '08, 10:03

Speaking of flu, there seems to be a very nasty outbreak in Hong Kong.
Hong Kong's government ordered all kindergartens and primary schools to close for two weeks yesterday following a flu outbreak..
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 13th Mar, '08, 10:11

Ho Hum. After all that, I am on the waiting list... there must have been a full on rush for appointments this morning :lol: how keen are they all?! :shock:
Looking on the upside, if i dont make the cut, at least I can claim flu for sickies :D