Health Insurance

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Possum
Going Postal

Health Insurance

Post by Possum » 17th Mar, '08, 08:31

I have to date always been covered medically under my ex’s company health plan but now must sort something privately. How are you covered? Any recommendations would be much appreciated. [smilie=kiss.gif]
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Health Insurance

Post by baloo » 17th Mar, '08, 08:39

It's a mess here in Singapore. No such thing as one company offering what ever level of cover you want. The government don't want insurance companies offering full and total cover because they believe it will make the medical profession raise their fees.

I used a broker to help me through it. I recommend her as she seemed very unbiased and even recommened that we take less coverage on certain items because it was an overkill.

Give her a call and mention my name.

Eunice Tan
Cornerstone Planners
+65 9691 8846
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 17th Mar, '08, 08:44

Thanks [smilie=bowdown.gif]
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 17th Mar, '08, 09:38

I use AXA and am just to change to AIG through my broker because the policy is better. Friends here swear by BUPA as well very comprehensive for overseas people and not too expensive.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 17th Mar, '08, 09:43

I'm covered for hospital treatment (except outpatient) by NTUC Income. In fact I've found their rates competitive for most things and the cover is similar to most other companies. I insure my car and house contents with them as well. Their customer service has been pretty good too. They don't have an elaborate electronic customer defence system. It only takes a few seconds to talk to a human being. You can pay extra to waive the deductible and co-insurance components of the cover, but other companies probably offer that too.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

BFG
Mood: Tingly in my bits

Post by BFG » 17th Mar, '08, 09:50

BUPA - no hassle, no dramas...
Life's too short...

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Mar, '08, 11:38

Like Spike, my family is also covered under NTUC with a policy called IncomeShield, it's hospitalization only with a few outpatient treatments covered. The premiums can be paid from MediSave accounts, and you can top up in cash for additional coverage. But in December last year they change the policy - they now do not cover 100% hospitalization, there's a deductable. Premiums are very inexpensive, even for my 69 year old monther-in-law.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 17th Mar, '08, 11:55

How much is the deductable? I am looking at NTUC as well.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 17th Mar, '08, 12:29

Hmmm, I can't find the new brochure. But I think the deductable is for Premium Plan = $3,000 or 10%, for Advantage Plan = $3,000 or 10%, for basic plan is $2,000 or 10%, but can also be less depending if you're in public hosptial and in which class ward.

Don't hold me to it, tho. I think it's all on the website, too.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 26th May, '08, 19:28

Just been through all this and thought I'd share my experiences.

There seem to be four companies that I could find easily: NTUC, Great Eastern, AIA and AXA.

NTUC, Great Eastern and AIA all had similar policies available depending on how much you wanted to pay (anywhere from $120-250 for 31-40 year old). I managaed to find two "rider" schemes (NTUC Rider or AIA Prestige), this is where the insurance company either pays the whole of the deductable/co-insurance or limits it to some degree. For an extra $200 then well worth it. I eventually went for the AIA one, however, only available to PR and Citizens.

AXA has a fully inclusive with no co-insurance/deductable, but cost more ($600+).

I was also looking for any out-patient care (so insrance pays for all GP fees) and it seems these have all been closed to new business, only group schemes allowed now. Previously have been insured via MTUC MHS scheme and I paid $5 for any doctors visit and then a company one via AIA paid for everything.

Best of luck, it's not easy to sort all this out!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal