The Bakery - marketing ideas

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Re: The Bakery - marketing ideas

Post by Satellite » 2nd Feb, '10, 14:27

lamingtons.

(i edited my post above - pls re-read it) - good if you can choose somehting that will go down well with singaporeans.
Last edited by Satellite on 2nd Feb, '10, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 2nd Feb, '10, 15:27

Singaporeans seem to be nuts about Korean and Taiwanese stuff these days. Are there any special Korean buns you could make?
We are the TPF

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 2nd Feb, '10, 15:47

isn't that way off the image of the bakery? (not that I know what that image is but when I see tucker-jones, I do not think chinese food)

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 2nd Feb, '10, 15:55

Good point. Rebrand as Tucker-Kim-Tan Bakery
We are the TPF

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 2nd Feb, '10, 16:15

that sounds perfect. :lol:

(really would like to go down and have a look - was closeby recently but had to rush home after work to relieve my mother of the little terror) Would bring him along but the walk from the train station is too far an unpleasant with him in the pram.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 2nd Feb, '10, 16:57

meat pies! and sausage rolls - goes down well with "everyone".

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 2nd Feb, '10, 18:46

Marketing = pulling together a "Grand Opening event" tie up with some other local merchants or some sort of Wedding shop/ magazine, put togther "10 special offers" to the first 10 people, get some "people" who are semi-famous to come, advertise in the local rags, hold a raffle for ! free wedding cake, again 500 tickets or some such, and get a PR piece together to send to the Free Paper, the Today paper and straights times on Saturday "home section" then spend some dosh to make some dosh, stop telling us we're nobody. This will get people in the door, be sure to have lots of small free tastes and advertise the raffle for a free wedding cake.

Marketing bill is in the mail ;)

azzam
I post here professionally
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 2nd Feb, '10, 18:50

Eggzackery
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 2nd Feb, '10, 21:05

just checked the sunday times. Back page write up by euniceq@sph.com.sg

It seems to be sponsored by Citibank so don't know if it is arequirement that you need to accept citibank's credit card at the shop. But worth a shot I think. I can write in as an onlooker to say I discovered this great bakery so that she can check it out but I would need to know a bit about it.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Feb, '10, 21:28

Satellite wrote:meat pies! and sausage rolls - goes down well with "everyone".
So many other companies have tried to do meat pies and sausage rolls. Do they still exist? Big Ben's pies was one...average pies, couldn't make good ones cheap enough. There was one on Bukit Timah near 6th Ave....still alive?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 2nd Feb, '10, 22:43

Gone

kittykat
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: In a state of flux

Post by kittykat » 3rd Feb, '10, 03:24

Actually that's a great idea. Cheesysmite scrolls also are a hit. What about Lamingtons?? Pavlova shells?? When I came back to oz one of the first when I was living in SG, one of the first things I'd do is go buy a Lamington or two or three. If you are making meat pies - see if you can setup a stand or something at the footy matches they have around SG. Not sure if you can do it but would be good if you could sell pies and drinks?? Other idea - fundraising throughs schools - pie and lamington drives??
Because you're worth it...

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 3rd Feb, '10, 08:21

speaking of freebies and connecting with groups, presuming you're already sending stuff over to the NZ equiv, and Aus high commission. don't they have the odd 'culcha' events that you could be supplying to, name all over everthing. is the Wallaby Aussie Rules team still about, they have the odd event with meat pies. Guess all I'm saying is have a brain storm for all the people and places in Swingas which have an existing love for the meat pie and sausage role.
you also want to ingrain it into the local populace. when we were growing up there was always the pie station at the local aussie rules on a saturday afternoon (i don't know about soccer and rugby, presume it's similar), it was ingrained. what do the local kids do for saturday sports? could you get down there with a table of goods? I'd be there with the small/mini versions though (not sure how that would work though all our sports were in winter and a hot pie was part of the warming up activity)
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Bender
I post here professionally

Post by Bender » 3rd Feb, '10, 08:52

Kids have major influence (pester power) when it comes to buying decisions. Offer something gooey/sweet/yummy/gimmicky for kids that's only available with a larger purchase.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 3rd Feb, '10, 09:24

British pies, Aussie pies and Kiwi pies look similar but all taste completely different. I am a pie junkie and have tried all the pie shops mentioned (plus some), none of them came close to the real thing so were not worth the effort to go back. If you could make a pie that is not just good but bloody great I would travel and pay extra for it. I suggest you work on the perfect product range of pies, test them on a select group of people from a variety of cultures ( don’t forget to include children in the test pool as mummies will travel to feed their darlings) until you get them exactly right, brand them culturally, launch them at a grand opening/sampling event (design a tasting survey and choose wisely who you invite including media like expat living etc)and the ball will start rolling. That is when you then launch your serious marketing endeavors – product and brand first.

Ps Raffles are not allowed in Singapore without a permit and if you host a sports event food outlets are limited to those that hold a contract with the facility mamagement not the event organizers.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 3rd Feb, '10, 09:29

I beg to differ Azzam. You simply cannot get anything that even looks like a traditional British pie in Australia or New Zealand.

A proper pie looks like this:

And it is sold cold by the slice.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 3rd Feb, '10, 10:10

There's a Scottish butcher near our house in Perth that does great pork pies and ham and egg pies.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 3rd Feb, '10, 20:46

Possum wrote: Ps Raffles are not allowed in Singapore without a permit.
Raffles hotel? Permit.
Raffles Shopping Centre? Permit.
Raffles Place? Permit.
Raffles School? Permit.
[smilie=tease.gif]
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 4th Feb, '10, 09:18

Fat Bob wrote:
Possum wrote: Ps Raffles are not allowed in Singapore without a permit.
Raffles hotel? Permit.
Raffles Shopping Centre? Permit.
Raffles Place? Permit.
Raffles School? Permit.
[smilie=tease.gif]
Slap Slap…must be all that crap milk you have been drinking, its messing with your brain [smilie=tease.gif]
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 4th Feb, '10, 10:07

Burbage wrote:I beg to differ Azzam. You simply cannot get anything that even looks like a traditional British pie in Australia or New Zealand.

A proper pie looks like this:

And it is sold cold by the slice.
[smilie=barfluous.gif]

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 18th Jun, '10, 13:44

How is the bakery going now?
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

seoquatang

Post by seoquatang » 2nd Apr, '11, 14:19

like vietnamese bakery sweetly, i'd like it