Cough Syrup

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Cough Syrup

Post by slinky » 25th May, '10, 14:20

Some years ago I discovered that certain cough syrups had the disturbing side effect of keeping me awake all night so I generally just avoid them. However, with this horrific illness I've got going on, the coughing at night is making it difficult, so I went to the pharmacy yesterday and asked for something that wouldn't keep me awake - after explaining that I've had trouble in the past with this. The one she gave me she assured me had 2 things in it that would make me drowsy. Would you believe I didn't sleep more than maybe an hour or so before I had to get up?? [smilie=23_3.gif] Do you think it's all in my head or is there something in the stuff that just has an adverse reaction for me?

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Re: Cough Syrup

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 25th May, '10, 14:35

Maybe it's like that drug that people give their kids on planes but some kids go hyper? Phener something?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th May, '10, 14:53

Slinks, the ingredient I look for is ephidrine (sp?) or anything related to it, which I think is a decongestant. I have awful reactions, racing heart, clammy hands, I feel like I downed 4 cups of espresso.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 25th May, '10, 15:08

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th May, '10, 15:21

Jedi, that is the very one.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 25th May, '10, 15:56

How about half a bottle of vodka?

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th May, '10, 16:15

Yes, Jedi, it's got to be the pseudoephedrine. I specifically asked the pharmacist about that ingredient because I know that's what they use in the daytime cold/flu meds so you DON'T get drowsy. It's in Panadol for colds. When I asked her about it, she said something like, 'Well, the other 2 ingredients should make you drowsy, so...' :roll: You'd think a pharmacist would know not to recommend that to someone who has specifically told them they have trouble with wakefulness when talking cough medicine [smilie=sigh.gif] Last time I trust a pharmacist for something like this. Well, that stuff goes in the bin.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 25th May, '10, 16:33

I klnow that is in one of the Ribotusin products, I think the blue one. Woods Peppermint doesn't seem to contain it (though I'm having trouble getting into the website that will actually tell me).

You may be more soothed with the hot lemon tea and maybe some other remedies,
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th May, '10, 16:37

Yes, I know I can't take Robitussin - that's the one that originally made me very cautious with cough syrup. I might look into Woods Peppermint next time - I think I'm (finally, I say, with cautious optimism) on the upswing with this thing & I should make it tonight.

I'll tell you what though, I've certainly gained a healthy respect for flu vaccines - might have to start getting them. I don't know that I've ever been this sick in my life :shock:

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 25th May, '10, 16:44

Wood's just doesn't cut it for me. Spends about a second sliding past your throat, doing nothing, then fumes away like a little blob of nuclear waste in your stomach.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 25th May, '10, 16:51

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Wood's just doesn't cut it for me. Spends about a second sliding past your throat, doing nothing, then fumes away like a little blob of nuclear waste in your stomach.

Well, that sounds appealing...... :o
:lol:

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 25th May, '10, 17:57

Gin darling Gin.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 25th May, '10, 18:58

Sudofed gives me palpitations. I've never been good on drugs :)

Years ago, when they couldn't get any uppers, some of my friends would take asthma tablets (called Dodo) for a quick buzz. I think they had to change the formula because so many people were doing it.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 26th May, '10, 06:55

I've always used Benedryl for coughs.

You might want to look at one of the chinese brand cough syrups, one of the chinese ladies in a shop did the whole "bahhh, try chinese bottle" thing on me one day, it was great, full of herby stuff, and almost tasted like benedryl, and worked. I recall reading the back of label, mainly herbs and alcohols (D: )
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 26th May, '10, 08:20

slinky wrote:
Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Wood's just doesn't cut it for me. Spends about a second sliding past your throat, doing nothing, then fumes away like a little blob of nuclear waste in your stomach.

Well, that sounds appealing...... :o
:lol:
Sounds like something usually found in a shot glass
We are the TPF

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 26th May, '10, 11:05

I was/am using Benedryl, Tas, it's just that because Benedryl is also my 'sleep aid of choice' :lol: I think I've grown quite tolerant to it and it doesn't have quite the same effects on me anymore. But, I went back to it last night. Once I finally got to sleep - why is it the coughing is only bad at night?? - all was fine :)

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 26th May, '10, 11:14

stuff with codeine works for me, anything else is just a waste of money. you're better off making a hot honey drink.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 26th May, '10, 11:18

Morrolan wrote:stuff with codeine works for me, anything else is just a waste of money. you're better off making a hot honey drink.
Codeine cough syrup before bed, I fully agree.

Aerin
Lurker
Mood: Good

Post by Aerin » 24th May, '11, 13:04

Hello everyone.I want to know about cough syrup.Kindly tell me which cough syrup is best for us.There are many brands but tell me which one works better and fast. Reply soon.Thanks.
Aerin