need...energy...please...helf...

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

need...energy...please...helf...

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Mar, '08, 10:01

Can anybody recommend a diet that's not necessarily for weight loss. I just feel like crap all the time, and I know my terrible diet has a lot to do with it. I just never seem to have the time to think about it, to plan, etc. Some diets out there can get so complicated. Some, you need to buy special kitchen appliances. I just need something simple enough for me to deal with. I'm just so tired and busy, I can't cram too much more into my days.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Re: need...energy...please...helf...

Post by Fresh Mint » 27th Mar, '08, 10:10

I find the drink lots of beer and eat whenever you are hungry diet works for me.

Rather pleased that I have hit 85 kg for the first time ever. 5kg more to go, but that may require going to the gym.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Mar, '08, 10:13

Well, I've noticed that if I have a beer or a glass of wine in the evenings, it keeps me awake all night. I'm not a good sleeper to begin with. That's also part of my problem...
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 27th Mar, '08, 10:14

chocolates always gets me going.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 27th Mar, '08, 10:16

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:Well, I've noticed that if I have a beer or a glass of wine in the evenings, it keeps me awake all night. I'm not a good sleeper to begin with. That's also part of my problem...

That's where you're wrong - you should have it in the mornings then to keep you awake during the day!

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Mar, '08, 10:20

Hahahahaha! Good point. A spicy bloody mary every morning might just straighten me out out once and for all... :D

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 27th Mar, '08, 10:25

Breakfast: Fruit, nuts and whole grains and yoghurt, as much as you want.
Lunch: Fruit, as much as you want.
Evening: 200-300g meat (preferably fish) with two or three different fresh vegetables stir fried.

No rice, no bread, no pastry and definitely no sugar (except naturally through fruit).

Occasionally you can have pasta in the evenings.

Aliya
I post here professionally
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 27th Mar, '08, 10:30

I agree with Burb although I would swap the fruit at lunch for the dinner but that is a personal preference because I prefer lunch to dinner. Possibly worse for you because of the natural sugar in the fruit wont get used if you eat it at dinner :D

Cut out processed/crap/fatty foods and the carbs set out by Burb. Lots and lots of water or green tea, cooled. And walk at least once a day, doesnt have to be fast, throw little LVS into a pram and walk somewhere.

And get some good multivitamins. Are you pregnant do you think??
Last edited by Aliya on 27th Mar, '08, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 27th Mar, '08, 10:30

Find a Life Coach to help you sort out your diet, exercise regime and priorities all in one lot.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 27th Mar, '08, 10:31

Yes worked for me, I tooks pike out for a healthy glass of bubbly one night and he solved all my problems [smilie=yahoo.gif]
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

Snaffled
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 27th Mar, '08, 10:46

After careful consideration of the alternatives, I'm with the Fresh Mint diet philosophy.
Lili - I used to have the same problem where a beer or glass of wine in the evening would really wreck my sleep. I increased this to 7 beers, and problem solved.
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Mar, '08, 10:50

Hmmmm, Burb. You just might get my support with your scheme to take over the world. Your plan is simple. Inexpensive. Logical. Even I might be able to work it out.

Vitamins. I've been thinking about these lately - I've always felt they were snake oil. Do you really feel a difference after taking them? I've been told you have to wait about 90 days before you can really feel the effects. But do you really feel more energy and well-being?

Exercise. I try to get the spawn, Oh...let's call him Wolfgang Von Shtupp (hmmm, Eddie Van Halen is on my hottie list...), out of the house every day - I don't have a car so I take Wolfie for a walk in the pram to the shops, then on the way back I stop and let him burn up some energy at the playground. The walk and playground takes up at least an hour, up to 2 hours each day, except for when it rains, which lately has been very frequently.

Actually it's funny. I go out of my way to make sure the kid is eating square meals, cooked from fresh foods, and gets plenty of exercise and outdoor time. But for me, I just let my own needs fall by the wayside.

My biggest weakness. I am addicted to coca-cola. I limit myself to one, maybe two glasses a day, (OK maybe three) but seriously could drink the stuff by the gallon if I let myself. I just haven't found a replacement that will get me off it once and for all.

TheD

Post by TheD » 27th Mar, '08, 10:54

Fcuk. You're drinking carbonated sugar with a touch of water. That thing is evil.

Drink Jia Jia Liang Teh

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Mar, '08, 10:55

Aiyo Jia Jia Liang Teh, that stuff is gross!

BTW - Chris Cornell? Hottie.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 27th Mar, '08, 10:55

Lili: don't drink it for about 5-6 days, and cut out all sweetened drinks or colas. Then when you taste it again, you will wonder why you were so addicted. I am a reformed coca cola addict. Did a 5 day detox, after 5 days off caffeine and coke and headaches galore, I was so excited to drink coke I went and bought one, only to think, geez this tastes like crap!

I now drink a coke every once in a while, perhaps one every two-three weeks with the feeling of, oh this is going to be yum only to discover it is never as good as I remember and I now prefer water.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 27th Mar, '08, 11:04

Didnt you read about the guy who drank loads of coke everyday and he developed Type II Diabetes and his kidneys failed and then his eyesight went and he is only 41?? Bad bad bad, and coke affects the enamel of your teeth as well. There is your future Ms LVS!

Vitamins, well I havent taken them for ages, my doctor (K's doctor and he lurks on the Board) said I needed to take myself off to the vet and get put down. He recommended an increase in my vitamin C and so i started on Berocca and man I feel better, all day, after a shot of berocca in the morning so maybe they do work.

Burb - yes his philosophy for the world is inexpensive and sensible - eat less, eat better, exercise, hang really bad people, make people accountable for themselves, and jail the other bad people. Nice, I likes it :D

Bob the Builder
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Bob the Builder » 27th Mar, '08, 11:16

and always remember that life is too short to drink bad wine.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 27th Mar, '08, 11:19

True. Drink more Kiwi wine :D I have discovered that bubbly is actually medicinal.

Snaffled
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 27th Mar, '08, 11:43

I agree that Coke is pretty awful stuff, but does it really affect tooth enamel? I thought that was debunked... not that that amount of sugar is good for you teeth...
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 27th Mar, '08, 11:44

I drink a cold coke with lots of ice first thing every morning. Absolutely love it. Really gets me raring to go. Mind you, I never drink coffee.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Mar, '08, 11:49

See, I love coffee. Love it, love it, love it. But I've become so sensitive to caffeine that I had to stop. One cup and I'm boucing off the satellites. For some reason I think the caffeine in coke is more tempered. I tried drinking strong homebrewed iced tea for a while. Maybe I should go back to that again.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 27th Mar, '08, 11:53

Snaffled wrote:I agree that Coke is pretty awful stuff, but does it really affect tooth enamel? I thought that was debunked... not that that amount of sugar is good for you teeth...

I thought it was mainly the carbonated part that was bad for the teeth :?:

Edit: this is what I found:
the "chemical" bad actor in most so-called soft drinks is CARBONIC ACID, created by dissolving CARBON DIOXIDE gas in water. The resulting carbonation of the water results in a relatively mild acid, BUT IT HAS BEEN CLINICALLY PROVEN TO ATTACK THE ENAMEL of your teeth. Additionally, several articles have said that the carbonic acid temporarily softens what part of the enamel it hasn't eaten away, and that brushing one's teeth within an hour after drinking a carbonated drink will result in removing even more of the enamel!j3h.

Scientific evidence:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1799 ... d_RVDocSum

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 27th Mar, '08, 12:20

OK, the teeth thing is enough to get me off it. I really hadn't thought about that part of the coke equation. I'm off it. I just can't do that to myself willingly. Thank you all so very much. I am so over coke. Starting NOW.

Aliya

Post by Aliya » 27th Mar, '08, 12:21

Maybe you and Poss could start a coke support group together. First you'd have to drink your way through her "coke" fridge.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 27th Mar, '08, 12:41

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:OK, the teeth thing is enough to get me off it. .
How about stop eating vegetables and fruit!

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/heal ... 630447.htm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1755 ... d_RVDocSum

sorry.. lots of evidence for & against!