Body Fat Index Readers

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

christinasingaporum

Body Fat Index Readers

Post by christinasingaporum » 24th Nov, '10, 09:06

Last topic I posted was assumed to be spam. Will be more careful this time.

Anyways I'm curious if anyone here has purchased a body fat index reader (not sure what the technical term for such a device is). They usually have it at established gyms or medical clinics. Unfortunately, the SSC gym I visit does not offer it.

T2K
Going Postal

Re: Body Fat Index Readers

Post by T2K » 24th Nov, '10, 09:51

I've seen and used them. They just seem jokey, you get different readings at different times.

Using a height vs weight vs waist size BMI calculator is effective overall, in my opinion.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 24th Nov, '10, 12:11

The DLB brought some fancy bathroom scales that I think does that... I haven't used them as I have a simpler method.

If I can bend over in my jeans then all is well with my world. If I sit down and my ovaries replace my tonsils then my jeans are too tight, my body too soft and its time to think about going for a run.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 24th Nov, '10, 13:18

Ah, but do you run before or after the double Grey Goose?
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 24th Nov, '10, 13:56

Eeeeekkkkkk shock horror!! Are you forgetting the rainbow warrior!
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

christinasingaporum

Post by christinasingaporum » 24th Nov, '10, 14:03

T2K wrote:I've seen and used them. They just seem jokey, you get different readings at different times.

Using a height vs weight vs waist size BMI calculator is effective overall, in my opinion.
Not so certain of that. BMI tells your body mass index but doesn't determine the percentage of fats in your system from my (lack) of understanding.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 24th Nov, '10, 14:53

But what does that number (body fat percentage) tell you or do for you? It's just a number.

An accurate BMI is more useful, I think. Just my opinion.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Nov, '10, 14:57

Dunno T2K when I lost my weight and I was at my lowest, everyone would tell me I was anorexic, looked sickly and needed to gain some weight.

According to the BMI index I had only just crossed from Overweight to Normal.

I find the BMI to be a waste of time.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 24th Nov, '10, 15:05

Body fat percentage scales are rubbish. They measure your legs, at best, and not your beer belly :)

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Thinner!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 24th Nov, '10, 15:29

Actually, the body fat percentage scales are rather handy if you are in the process of trying to lose weight. While they are not "accurate" like a hydrotank weighing setup, they are accurate in the drop of percentage as you lose weight. So you don't look at the "numbers" but instead look at the trend. As long as you realize the limitations they are quite handy. As far as BMI is concerned, seems there is a lot of discussion recently as to whether or not they are correct and even if they should be used to figure what is "healthy" or not.

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 24th Nov, '10, 15:31

christinasingaporum wrote:Last topic I posted was assumed to be spam. Will be more careful this time.

Anyways I'm curious if anyone here has purchased a body fat index reader (not sure what the technical term for such a device is). They usually have it at established gyms or medical clinics. Unfortunately, the SSC gym I visit does not offer it.
I suppose you have a recommendation, correct? :|

christinasingaporum

Post by christinasingaporum » 24th Nov, '10, 15:40

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
christinasingaporum wrote:Last topic I posted was assumed to be spam. Will be more careful this time.

I suppose you have a recommendation, correct? :|
No, I don't. Unless you want me to paste links to body shapers again?

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 24th Nov, '10, 16:11

So if body shapers squeeze all the fat(s) up, and the body fat index readers only measure your legs, then body shapers will make you appear to lose weight
We are the TPF

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 24th Nov, '10, 16:12

Why not use the BMI and commons sense when looking at your body? Beer bellies and muffin tops are obvious so if you have either one it means you are probably not at your best health.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 24th Nov, '10, 16:23

BMI just isn't reliable unless you have the absolute average body composition.

The Body Fat index scales, the better ones, do work. They may not be 100% accurate, but nothing is at that price, but like SMS said, they will show a trend.

tigerbalm
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: ok

Post by tigerbalm » 24th Nov, '10, 23:08

OK now I get the scam part - still seriously you are a fat F or you are not a fat F. Just look in the mirror...
No need to measure BMI.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Nov, '10, 23:53

T2K wrote:I've seen and used them. They just seem jokey, you get different readings at different times.

That's not the standard BMI test, I believe a couple of armies did use such measurements before better fitness tests came in. Just suck your belly in and you alter the results considerably.

And of course you get different readings at different times. You think you weigh exactly the same throughout the day? After a glass of water? Meal? Pee? Dump? Each and every one of those things will change your ratios to a degree, no matter how small.

How accurate they are is a different thing. Even spending $200+ on a set of scales may not give you accuracy. It may give consistent results, but not accuracy. And that may be good enough.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 26th Nov, '10, 00:42

I have a moderate priced set of scales, that supposedly measure the fat %. They started of in something like the expected range in teh 20's, but now they read in the teens like 16%, clearly bollox. So I use a combination of existing weight, BMI, squishy between my fingers and frankly Possums jeans test covers it the best! If my favourite jeans are squishing out a muffin top - then it's time to get moving. If I have lots of squishy bits that squeeze out of my bra, then it's time to get moving. Until last week, I weighed the lowest I'd been since I had glandular fever 10years ago, but I'm fleshy and squishy - so time to get moving. Really, you don't need some fat % purchased thing to tell you what you really already know for yourself.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

sundaymorningstaple
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by sundaymorningstaple » 26th Nov, '10, 06:50

Not entirely true, unfortunately. Visually you cannot see the amount of abdominal fat that has accumulated around your organs and this is where electrical impedence types of scales help. I used to swear on Tanita but have recently changed to Omron as their's is generated not through the feet and picked up the same way, but through the hands and picked up through the feet.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 26th Nov, '10, 09:07

tigerbalm wrote:OK now I get the scam part - still seriously you are a fat F or you are not a fat F. Just look in the mirror...
No need to measure BMI.
I'm a formerly fat F (FFF)

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 26th Nov, '10, 09:34

Actually, you might as well write fuck and let the swear filters capture it. I don't see the point of typing f or fcuk or any other variant really. If you're a potty mouth, why hold back.

christinasingaporum

Post by christinasingaporum » 26th Nov, '10, 09:53

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not entirely true, unfortunately. Visually you cannot see the amount of abdominal fat that has accumulated around your organs and this is where electrical impedence types of scales help. I used to swear on Tanita but have recently changed to Omron as their's is generated not through the feet and picked up the same way, but through the hands and picked up through the feet.
Thanks. Will look into these.