Toxoplasmosis

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Toxoplasmosis

Post by Kooky » 20th Feb, '11, 12:41

Apparently I may have had it a long time ago, judging by some "very old scarring" my new, very thorough, optician found deep in my left eye yesterday.

She asked me if I have a cat and more importantly, due to the age of the scarring, have I always had cats. (Well yes, pretty much all my life.)

I've read up on it - it's not that nasty unless you have any autoimmune problems, in which case it can recur. Joy. :)

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Re: Toxoplasmosis

Post by Sardonicus » 20th Feb, '11, 13:06

Not a pleasant thing to hear. But according to Wikipedia you're in good company.

Seems like one of those things a lot pf people could have but most never find out.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 20th Feb, '11, 13:38

Well the symptoms are so similar to a lot of others, I would say very hard to diagnose without a blood test, and not something most people would think of when they feel fluey. :lol: I won't lose sleep over that one. (It's nothing to do with my PRK and not caused by overwear of hard lenses, as they affect the front of the eye.)

Apparently the spot haemorrhage in the same eye is far more interesting, so will be checked in a month's time. I have low BP and am not diabetic, so this one is a bit of a puzzle.

Loving this bulk-billing and not paying a cent for appointments though. Wandering round the shopping mall for an hour whilst my pupils dilated to the point that I looked like a junkie and couldn't stand the lights, not so much.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 20th Feb, '11, 14:10

I remember when I was pregnant I read scare stories about toxoplasmosis. It can harm the fetus, but only if you first contract it while pregnant. My ob/gyn asked if I'd had cats my whole life ("yes") and said that I probably have it already. Otherwise for 9 months I would have had to avoid my cats, especially their litter trays.

Which reminds me...I do remember a couple of people asking me when I first got pregnant if I was going to "get rid of the cats now". Booooo!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Post by FurBaby » 20th Feb, '11, 15:42

Lili: that is all too common in Singapore. when you get pregnant, you 'get rid' of your cats due to 'health risks'. then when the baby is born, you 'get rid' of your dog because you're just too busy to take care of both a child and a dog.

people suck.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 20th Feb, '11, 16:24

Cats sit on the baby's chest and steal its breath, don't they?

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 20th Feb, '11, 17:10

FurBaby wrote:Lili: that is all too common in Singapore. when you get pregnant, you 'get rid' of your cats due to 'health risks'. then when the baby is born, you 'get rid' of your dog because you're just too busy to take care of both a child and a dog.

people suck.
people do suck. thank your lucky stars you didn't see the horrible chinese man whipping the lovely horse around the head and eyes yesterday because he'd something slightly naughty. they were doing tourist walks along the iced over Harbin River. If I'd had a gun, think I'd have happily popped him...
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg