Full Blood Count

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Full Blood Count

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 4th Apr, '11, 11:29

I had it done and the results showed that I have 3 'Low' - Red Blood Cells, Haemoglobins and Haematocrit.

I've noticed that my White Blood Cells is especially higher than the range set by the report. Mine is something like 20.4. (against normal range between 3.4 - 9.6). Gynae saw the report but she didn't say anything and this leads me to wonder if she has overlooked it.

Can infection leads to high level of white blood cells? Yes, I have low blood pressure and sugar level is also good (4 during fasting and 6.1 after consumption of the sugar content) but otherwise I am pretty OK.
Last edited by SunshineAfterRain on 4th Apr, '11, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Re: Full Blood Count

Post by Pinklepurr » 4th Apr, '11, 15:38

White blood cell count can often be raised during pregnancy, especially as you near term, and yes infections, hormones and stress (!!) are common causes, but seriously if you are worried about it, just ask your doctor. Why didn't you ask about it when you were with the gynae? Silly to be worrying about something that can be normal at this stage...you know your doctor will always answer questions, but only if you ask them. ;)

It never hurts to ask, especially when you are pregnant because so many things are happening to your body that are different to normal. The docs are all used to pregnant mums (especially those that haven't been through it before...new mums have HEAPS of questions) so don't fret about it, just ask away.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Apr, '11, 19:08

It seems like there's a range of issues that could be important or may not be. Only way to get a good diagnosis and possible treatments if required are with the aid of a doctor.

But for the low blood count, then a Gunniess a day may be useful!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 4th Apr, '11, 20:30

Fat Bob wrote:But for the low blood count, then a Gunniess a day may be useful!
She's pregnant, FB, so Guinness isn't generally recommended :lol:

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 4th Apr, '11, 21:09

Don't pregnant women need lots of iron?
We are the TPF

SunshineAfterRain
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: She is the whole world to me

Full Blood Count

Post by SunshineAfterRain » 4th Apr, '11, 22:00

Thanks all :)

I didn't ask the gynae because the report was in a sealed envelope and I only opened it up after I came home. Will check with her in my next appoint. Iron pills was prescribed to me; in fact, I was given a box of it but I suppose it make not be sufficient.

I used to have a glass of scotch after dinner but for now, I have to refrain myself at least for a few more months.
Every flower that ever bloomed, had to go through a whole lot of dirt to get there!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Apr, '11, 22:08

slinky wrote:
Fat Bob wrote:But for the low blood count, then a Gunniess a day may be useful!
She's pregnant, FB, so Guinness isn't generally recommended :lol:
That'll be TLC knowledge?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 5th Apr, '11, 15:46

Check into what disrupts iron intake - as I recall calcium messed it up, so don't take the iron supplements with milk or yogurt, cheese, etc. And I seem to recall something about not taking it with citrus either. I do remember it being a bit of a pain to find a time to take iron supplements when I wasn't eating or drinking something that would interfere :lol:

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 6th Apr, '11, 07:04

My mother swore by Stout, said the alcohol content didn't affect a baby given the goodness in it.

She drank it while pregnant with me!
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 6th Apr, '11, 08:56

.. and you turned out perfectly normal ;)
We are the TPF

Aliya
Mood: The Pig Farmer!

Post by Aliya » 6th Apr, '11, 10:15

;)
"I really love you" she said. "Is that the champagne talking" he asked. "No" she laughed. "That's me talking to the champagne"