Question on bakery

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

sherkaan
Lurker
Mood: good

Question on bakery

Post by sherkaan » 29th Oct, '11, 17:59

Hi everyone

I saw there was a few interesting post on bakery below. I'm french. did settle in Singapore 3 years ago and really like it. However I did notice that it is impossible to find a good baguette (can find quite a few good breads but not this) and same for croissant and chocolate roll. Was wondering why ? On a lot of things what you get here is really impressive (like Street Hawker : for 3$ this is really value for money) but for those 3 products never find anything really good. really wondering why.

Was wondering why. Most of what I'm seeing is industrial quality product. I'm considering buying a existing bakery. At the moment I'm trying to get informations.

Quick on the side question, if you are interested in buying a small business like a bakery, where do you see the ads.
Other question : if you are interested in more information on bakery (or even better talk to someone that runs it) any idea how to do it ?

Thanks in advance.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: Question on bakery

Post by canuck » 29th Oct, '11, 20:55

Location, location, location .... As for good bread well hmmm.. Cedele does some decent stuff, but not great.... If you want to ask about bakery or find good bread try la choupInette on bukit timah, they are a small restaurant that does thier bread that i know of.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 29th Oct, '11, 22:24

..or maybe because trolls don't know from pastry?
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

Post by Satellite » 29th Oct, '11, 23:11

Speaking of breads, I'd take the domestic flight from Heathrow to Manchester just to have their hot cheese and tomato sandwich I could!

Snaffled
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 30th Oct, '11, 09:32

No idea in Singapore but I totally agree there was a big lack of good bakeries & pastries apart from some of the better hotels that had their own pastry kitchens.
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 30th Oct, '11, 15:12

I miss Greggs! :(
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 31st Oct, '11, 11:50

Before location, isn't there a question in there first about demand, and a market for those products? My Singapore colleagues stuck their nose up big time at sandwiches for lunch. And a lot of them really liked savoury treats over sweet. And european style pastry wasn't the be all and end all as far as sweet treat (remember Durian is a great favourite as a guide to tastes, and mooncakes are actually eaten not looked at).
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 31st Oct, '11, 12:22

The last member here to open a bakery soon left the country.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 31st Oct, '11, 12:30

You can't really find good baguettes, coisants or pain du chocolate outside of francophone/francophile countries. Which surprised me one time in Vietnam!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 31st Oct, '11, 13:03

There is a Vietnamese-French patisserie a few steps from where I get off my bus on a morning. Terrible, it is - terrible!

The almond croissants are to die for, the apple danish, cherry danish, apricot danish....pain au chocolat, chocolate brioche...oh my. They do wonderful little "breakfast boxes" of mini pastries that I often take in for the team (and sometimes the whole department, if I think they need a bit of TLC). Oh and the chocolate eclairs, and the lemon tarts, and the flourless chocolate and raspberry cake with hazelnuts...yes, it's terrible. Way too convenient.

Check out some photos http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_list/ ... _id=678850

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 31st Oct, '11, 14:17

If I had a good bakery in a close location I would buy from them, but must admit I don't generally buy cakes or pastries, tend to make them myself if I want them....but a good croissant is hard to come by although I had a good one in Canada

Edited to remove reference to fb
Last edited by canuck on 31st Oct, '11, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 31st Oct, '11, 16:11

I said something completely different!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal