Sulfites (sulphites) in wine

Leading a healthy lifestyle ain't that easy...

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Sulfites (sulphites) in wine

Post by Dinosaur » 10th Nov, '12, 12:18

I've had some joint problems (achey, clickey ankles) for some time, nothing earth-shatteringly life threatening but just irritating and uncomfortable and getting worse it seems. I've been thinking along the lines of rheumatics, arthritis(?), getting older, that sort of thing.

Then yesterday, searching around the internet, and found a long long thread elsewhere about sulfites (sometimes spelt sulphites) in wine and, in particular, in white wine. And tons of people (most of whom....ahem....hit the white wine in a big way) talking about the same symptoms that I have :( So, last night, I hit the wagon for the first time in years.... well, just had one glass of white wine at the end of the evening and, boy, no ankle problems.

From what I have read, the sulfites are used as a preservative. They're no good for you, especially in quantity, and it gets into the blood stream and, for most folks it seems, after an hour or so the sulfites travel to the joints. I had no idea.

If you go to your fridge and pick up a bottle of wine. Look on the back of the bottle. Most, if not all, will have a warning of sulfites. I never read it before :oops: Apparently red wines have less sulfites. (Mental note, Dino: get some red wines)

Just wondered if anyone has anything to say on the subject. Any experiences? Organic wine seems to be the way to go - though I imagine here in Malaysia that would cost an arm and a leg. Maybe On the Wagon is the way to go :shock:

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: Sulfites (sulphites) in wine

Post by Morrolan » 10th Nov, '12, 17:53

G&T's?

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 10th Nov, '12, 19:34

So, when you stop the white wine the symptoms do go away?

Aching joints was a major symptom when I started playing around with my diet. I was also ready to see someone for arthritis/rheumatism, and change of diet did the trick. Can't say anything about white or red wine, though. I rarely drink either, they dehydrate me so bad. But if it is food related, you'll have to give it some time to really get it all out of your system before you'll know for sure.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 11th Nov, '12, 15:36

Lili, I need to experiment a little bit as I've only just discovered it but I put it slightly to the test on Friday night. Drank juices all night then just 1 glass of white wine and no problems. I only get these ankle problems in the evening or night, no other time. I'll post a link to the thread I read on a health forum. Err is that OK to post??? Well, you can delete if it's not. I would only recommend reading it if you're really very interested though as it covers about 10 or 11 pages over a period of some 6 years. It's here http://www.steadyhealth.com/CAN_ALCOHOL ... 89958.html

I suspect there's an age element to this and undoubtedly a volume element :oops: Didn't quite test the system last night as we were out with friends then came back poured a glass of red, then of course Mr Dino topped that up :roll:

I'm going to do just 1 glass wine now and see what happens. Experimentation. My only real problem here though is that my long standing drinking companion Mr dino is very much not pleased. He drinks and wants someone to drink with <sigh> What to do? I actually quite fancy trying the sober route. Does that make me inconsiderate?

Morrolan, I've never liked G&Ts.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 12th Nov, '12, 04:23

Dino,

There's a problem of confounders, here. The joint pain might be caused by sulfites, but it might also be caused by alcohol or even some third thing found in wine that we're not aware of. Try experimenting on yourself: maybe eat some nonalcoholic foods that are also preserved with sulfites and see how you feel. Try also another source of alcohol that doesn't contain sulfites. Go back and forth several times between the different options and see how you feel... I think that's the best you can do here...

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 12th Nov, '12, 05:54

If you have any joint inflammation be wary of juices. Arthritis especially, they say stay away from OJ.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 12th Nov, '12, 14:41

but it might also be caused by alcohol.
:cry: Yes I'm going to experiment. For sure, so far, and I've only given it a few days, the just 1 wine glass (red or white) is working very nicely... except for Mr Dino who now thinks I'm boring. I'm sleeping better too.

It's not exactly pain, more uncomfortable and no swelling, and ankles (and toes too) will crack and pop.... you know like if you crouch down and your knees crack. Like that. Kooky, juices (so far) are fine.

I'm sort of debating with myself whether to stick a slug of something (vodka maybe) in my blueberry juice at the weekend and see how that goes. It will cheer up the man at least. On the other hand, I'm getting to like this Wake up in the morning with clear head feeling. Decisions decisions.

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Post by Lichtgestalt » 12th Nov, '12, 19:28

Dinosaur wrote:
but it might also be caused by alcohol.
:cry: except for Mr Dino who now thinks I'm boring. I'm sleeping better too.
Maybe those two things are linked ;) but seriously, if it affects your health the choice should be easy. It's not like drinking is one of the main purposes of life

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 12th Nov, '12, 22:04

Yes, I think you'll find the sleeping better part will make a huge difference all around. I'm cursed with a low tolerance for alcohol and find that even a single glass of wine/beer can wreck my sleep and put me off my game the next day.