TV to watch

Need a good place to eat ? Destination for Holiday ? Can't find a decent Handyman ? Or want to tell the world about your experiences ? This is the place.

Moderator: Fuzz

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Re: TV to watch

Post by Sardonicus » 6th Aug, '13, 22:54

Just watched a couple of oddities - these are pilots in the true sens of the word, run By Amazon and voted on to see if they will make it past the pilot stage. Once is Alpha House, with John Goodman, the other, Betas. Not brilliant but they hold some promise.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 7th Aug, '13, 07:18

Couldn't get into first episode of Treme, but John Goodman was a standout as ever. How such a big guy with distinct looks manages to complete absorb his roles so that you are able to forget his previous characters, some of them really cruel, really really impresses me, I'm ready to try anything in media he participates in.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 7th Aug, '13, 07:56

I think Treme is among the top series, with or without Goodman, plus great authentic music in every episode. It was strange how Goodman was only in for the time he was.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 7th Aug, '13, 18:39

Yeah, wish had bit more time up sleeve to get into Treme. had to return to DVD lender at work, have now left job :)

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 7th Aug, '13, 21:05

Watch or rip to watch once is about the same to me, I do that when I borrow DVDs. My conscious is clear.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 13th Aug, '13, 08:21

Finally got around to reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, only a few more chapters left to go in Book 1/Game of Thrones. Lots of good things in the books that aren't conveyed in the series. In the books, the writer can describe what's going on inside the characters' minds and can offer more backstory, the kind of things that are harder to relay on film unless you cheat and use voiceover, which is never a good idea.

I have to say, though, while Tryion Lannister has great lines in the book, the series writers have written even wittier lines for him (hats off to Peter Dinklage for delivering them with perfect sarcasm) - I'm impressed with how true to form the actors play the characters, even though the Imp is better looking than he's described in the books.

I'd love to see gag reels/outtakes from the show - I'd read that the actor who plays Lord Varys The Spider is hilarious on set, and they can barely get through his scenes without everyone cracking up.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 13th Aug, '13, 08:26

Breaking bad season 5 has restarted.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 14th Aug, '13, 20:29

baloo wrote:Breaking bad season 5 has restarted.
Been looking forward to this one for a long time. Great episode and great restart - loved every minute and keen to see next week
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 17th Aug, '13, 15:20

Been portioning out the shows as they seem to be running slim, already mid-S2 Episodes and end-S2 Orange is The New Black.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 19th Aug, '13, 11:39

Suits has been back for a few weeks now. Still a riveting watch.
Many series are wrapping up for the summer season, dammit. Nothing to watch til late September. Thinking of starting Once Upon A Time during the hiatus, any thoughts?

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 26th Aug, '13, 13:31

True Blood ended the season with the most epic cliffhanger ever. :shock:

Once Upon a Time is not bad. Watchable when there's nothing else on TV.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 26th Aug, '13, 13:33

Haven't watched it yet but I've good reports about Banshee.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 26th Aug, '13, 22:26

just noticed my typo "and end-S2 Orange is The New Black" - it's still S1. I read it will go for at least another season.

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 28th Aug, '13, 11:28

Newsroom is having another great season
Ray Donavon - great stuff
Graceland - keen to know what happens next
Dexter - should have finished it last season because this season is crap and just been fast forwarding episodes
Breaking bad - great first few episodes leading to a kick ass conclusion
Burn Notice - still good fun

So Hollywood had one of its worst summers - and meantime TV continues to get better. Just a thought but when a studio products RIPD - what the fuck do they expect?
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 29th Aug, '13, 03:33

Is anyone, has anyone watched House of Cards (and sorry if this was posted earlier). It's an original Netflix series and based on a book and there was a previous UK version. Excellent drama if you haven't seen it.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 29th Aug, '13, 07:39

I really liked House of Cards. I thought it was clever and exciting. Is season 2 out yet? I haven't checked.

As for Newsroom, I was so thrilled about this show and I loved the first episode, but felt it went downhill with each consecutive episode thereafter. I don't think I made it past S1 E4. I was bored and put off by the preachy writing and wishy-washy characters.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 29th Aug, '13, 18:26

Better Man , SBS drama based on the Van Tuong Nguyen who was caught at Changi airport with half a kilo of heroin strapped to his back .

http://youtu.be/wj3my7pZvdU

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 29th Aug, '13, 19:49

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I really liked House of Cards. I thought it was clever and exciting. Is season 2 out yet? I haven't checked.

As for Newsroom, I was so thrilled about this show and I loved the first episode, but felt it went downhill with each consecutive episode thereafter. I don't think I made it past S1 E4. I was bored and put off by the preachy writing and wishy-washy characters.
I just chocolated Lili and it's supposed to be out 2014 - and we are almost done with Season 1. Need to find some other good 'winter shows'

That's interesting about Newsroom - a colleague said it was great but I haven't watched it yet - she did say the first episode was the best.

Orange is the New Black (on Netflix) - i've also heard good things about but haven't watched it myself....
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 30th Aug, '13, 13:50

chocolate wrote:
Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I really liked House of Cards. I thought it was clever and exciting. Is season 2 out yet? I haven't checked.
Thanks, I'm already twiddling my thumbs for GoT in 2014.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 30th Aug, '13, 21:38

Try OITNB (can't be bothered to type it all again) - be interesting to see what you think. I put it at A- which is pretty good. So far.

sluggo
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 30th Aug, '13, 23:12

Sardonicus wrote:Try OITNB (can't be bothered to type it all again) - be interesting to see what you think. I put it at A- which is pretty good. So far.
We liked it a lot.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

skank-la
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 12th Sep, '13, 02:52

Boardwalk Empire & Sons of Anarchy are back for new seasons

Still loving 'The Bridge' but maybe you need to have some real Mexico knowledge to get into it
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 12th Sep, '13, 07:53

I don't think need Mexico knowledge. What I've liked of bits I've seen so far is that in many ways all ethnicities and personalities/personal issues treated equally as characters

Joseph27
Going Postal

Post by Joseph27 » 16th Sep, '13, 20:46

Giving up on Dexter - just too silly to continue... they should have finished it last session - or actually at the end of season 4...... the last 3 are complete shit.

Graceland still intrigues - Breaking Bad rocks - Boardwalk Empire is starting very well - Newsroom is just what us soft lefties need - and Ray Donavon is damn cool...

Seriously with all this great TV - why the hell do I bother watching anything at GV?

skank-la
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 17th Sep, '13, 08:03

Graceland Final Episode wrapped it all up - I was on the fence but now I think it was really great for a 1st season
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!