TV to watch

Need a good place to eat ? Destination for Holiday ? Can't find a decent Handyman ? Or want to tell the world about your experiences ? This is the place.

Moderator: Fuzz

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Re: TV to watch

Post by Jedi » 17th Sep, '13, 13:38

Joseph27 wrote:Giving up on Dexter - just too silly to continue... they should have finished it last session - or actually at the end of season 4...... the last 3 are complete shit.
There's only one episode left and you're giving up? Actually I'm really enjoying the last season.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 23rd Sep, '13, 06:12

There appears to be an Emmy standoff between Aaron Paul and Peter Dinklage for their parts in GoT and BB.

Tough call.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 23rd Sep, '13, 14:40

Sleepy Hollow - best first episode of any show ever, snappy dialogues, excellent acting, intriguing storyline. Plus the hunkiest Brit on TV right now. Can't wait to see if the show lives up to its first episode.

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 24th Sep, '13, 14:00

nev wrote:Sleepy Hollow - best first episode of any show ever, snappy dialogues, excellent acting, intriguing storyline. Plus the hunkiest Brit on TV right now. Can't wait to see if the show lives up to its first episode.
Yes agreed 100%. Awesome pilot.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 26th Sep, '13, 15:00

The Voice US is back. The talents are rather underwhelming, two episodes on. Xtina is back, less cranky therefore less entertaining. CeeLo is also back, weird as ever. Carson is still an expressionless dummy.

Other shows that are back: New Girl (ho-hum, not as funny anymore), Chicago Fire (interesting new arc), 2 Broke Girls (still funny).

There are several new shows:
- Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., haven't had the time to watch it yet but I'm a Marvel fan and my expectations are high.
- The Trophy Wife, I think this could be a sleeper hit. Unexpectedly hilarious.

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 26th Sep, '13, 15:36

nev wrote:There are several new shows:
- Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., haven't had the time to watch it yet but I'm a Marvel fan and my expectations are high.
I advise you to lower them. :)

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 26th Sep, '13, 21:29

Brooklyn Nine Nine looks ok so far
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 26th Sep, '13, 21:40

Bye Bye Dexter. One season too many IMO, but a good watch none the less.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 26th Sep, '13, 22:45

Jedi wrote:
nev wrote:There are several new shows:
I advise you to lower them. :)
You're right, it's pants :x

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 27th Sep, '13, 20:56

About to check The Blacklist, new James Spader series

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 30th Oct, '13, 18:19

Series been really enjoying "Masters of Sex". Period drama, some neat writing and acting of it. Find several of the actresses charismatic on screen. It's not Madmen, and not going to say it's quite up there with that particular drama, however if you do like Madmen, you may also find some enjoyment in this series.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 30th Oct, '13, 23:06

BBC The Escape Artist ..... Good 1st episode

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 31st Oct, '13, 10:17

Tas wrote:Series been really enjoying "Masters of Sex". Period drama, some neat writing and acting of it. Find several of the actresses charismatic on screen. It's not Madmen, and not going to say it's quite up there with that particular drama, however if you do like Madmen, you may also find some enjoyment in this series.
I'll second that. Good TV.

I've just started watching BBC America's "Orphan Black", about a girl who (accidentally and gruesomely) found out she has multiple clones. Interesting premise and great performance by the lead actress.

Some other new shows:
- Dracula (first episode was not bad, but the titular character is not dark and menacing enough)
- Witches of East End (a Charmed-wannabe, with super hot men)
- The Tomorrow People (reminds me of Heroes, except that these people all have the same superpowers. Weird)

P.S. Sleepy Hollow just gets better and better [smilie=mango.gif]

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 1st Nov, '13, 07:27

Yeah I discovered Masters of Sex, purely by chance, on SBS the other night. It's not bad at all. I've recorded all of Sleepy Hollow so far, as we were out for the first two and haven't had a chance to catch up, thanks for the reminder that it is worth it.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 5th Dec, '13, 21:43

Just took delivery of some UK stuff :

Luther - series 3
Broadchurch with David Tennant
The Fall with Gillian Anderson

Will report back!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 5th Dec, '13, 21:52

Broadchurch was shown on ABC here. Thought was quite good. But on DVD suspect would have to binge episode to episode. Was hard enough to wait a week when watching series on a couple of weeks, it's one of those who did it ones. Be interested to hear how the Gillian Anderson one is, think saw a snippet reference to it here and there, and looked interesting.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 13th Dec, '13, 21:53

As we may not have much more time to share good finds, any new finds?

As of now Longmire, Homeland S2 and Nashville S2 are on rotation.

Will be giving Masters a try.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 13th Dec, '13, 21:54

Blacklist
Almost Human
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 14th Dec, '13, 10:20

Tas wrote:Broadchurch was shown on ABC here. Thought was quite good. But on DVD suspect would have to binge episode to episode. Was hard enough to wait a week when watching series on a couple of weeks, it's one of those who did it ones. Be interested to hear how the Gillian Anderson one is, think saw a snippet reference to it here and there, and looked interesting.
I can feel a Christmas holiday binge watch coming on for both series [xmas-nana]

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 14th Dec, '13, 11:15

Neither of us cared for The Blacklist pilot and didn't watch it past that, will give it a second try.

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 15th Dec, '13, 13:36

daffodil wrote:
Tas wrote:Broadchurch was shown on ABC here. Thought was quite good. But on DVD suspect would have to binge episode to episode. Was hard enough to wait a week when watching series on a couple of weeks, it's one of those who did it ones. Be interested to hear how the Gillian Anderson one is, think saw a snippet reference to it here and there, and looked interesting.
I can feel a Christmas holiday binge watch coming on for both series [xmas-nana]
They were both really good (the second one is The Fall) enjoy!
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 28th Dec, '13, 19:21

Broadchurch is really good British tv - great acting, nice tension as different people are portrayed as possible suspects with the inevitable sad conclusion for one of them. The scene wherein the murderer is revealed and subsequently interviewed by the female detective is excellent.

One of my favourite of 2013. 2nd (UK) series coming up and also a US version being made starring David Tennant.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 28th Dec, '13, 19:41

Oh and just watched the Dr Who Christmas special ,Time of the Doctor, with daleks, cybemen, weeping angels and more. Plus an introduction to the new Dr! Hmmmm....

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 29th Dec, '13, 10:54

I didn't realise they were making US version...good that David Tennant is still in it though, that would be interesting to see (despite knowing the story already). I looked up the info about series 2 as well, that seems a real mystery with not even the cast knowing who is doing what if anything. I thought it was pretty much self contained so not sure about where they would go with a second series. Sometimes I think just the one is enough, and this one was so well done it would be a shame if they follow it up with anything less than the first one, but it will be hard to follow for sure.

I've just done the same as you Daff, watched all the latest Dr Who stuff this week, a veritable feast of time lord stuff. It was great wasn't it!

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 29th Dec, '13, 14:49

Agree, I can't imagine where series 2 will go, or how Olivia Coleman's character would quite fit in either.

Edit : As for Dr Who, I've missed a lot of the Matt Smith stuff. To be honest, I didn't really take to him after David Tennant and the story lines became such that if missed a few episodes, it became impossible to follow. Though did enjoy the Christmas episode!