The Dictator

Need a good place to eat ? Destination for Holiday ? Can't find a decent Handyman ? Or want to tell the world about your experiences ? This is the place.

Moderator: Fuzz

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

The Dictator

Post by Fat Bob » 6th Jan, '13, 16:47

Not being a big fan of Sacha Baron Cohen, mainly because I've never really enjoyed AliG and had no interest in either of his two mockumentaries. However, I saw enough of this on a trailer that I decided to watch: it seemed to be more of a comedy movie than Sacha speaking a lot.

Like it: obviously some stupid humour, a story-line that you can just let flow over you, and some good acting around the film including Ben Kingsley.

If you've got 90 mins to kill and you're on a plane or something, well worth watching.

Oh, and it's certainly not policitically correct, probably pisses off the mullahs and muftis.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Re: The Dictator

Post by Tas » 6th Jan, '13, 19:45

Yeah, naaah, still can't see myself watching even if free. Have you seen any previews for The Devils Double (think that's title) haven't been in mood for it on DVD yet, but it caught my eye onve or twice. The one I'm waiting for, hoping goes gold class, is Django Unchained.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 6th Jan, '13, 22:43

Sounds far too serious for me.

And Django Unchained isn't out till 24th Jan in Australia and 21st Mar in Singapore. Think I'll be getting the DVD!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 7th Jan, '13, 05:42

Django Unchained was a big disappointment. With his last 2 movies, it seems that QT is unable to make masterpieces like Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. At 2 hours and 45 minutes, it was 45 minutes too long.

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 7th Jan, '13, 07:26

Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty and later in the year - Elysium, plus the new Star Trek movie!
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 7th Jan, '13, 09:44

The impossible is getting really good reviews

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 7th Jan, '13, 14:24

Any thoughts on Gangster Squad? Or is it that I watch too much Warner TV and therefore seem saturated by the trailers to it?

Poppy Appeal

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 7th Jan, '13, 15:23

Advertising going hard, lot of the trailers on Free to Air too.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Joseph27
Going Postal
Mood: Reflective and Motivated

Post by Joseph27 » 8th Jan, '13, 11:34

Watched Django - must admit I kind of liked it even though I fast forwarded lots. I got to watch 2 nice french films recently - Le Chef with Jean Reno and "The Intouchables" - both of them were a step above most of the US films I have seen recently. The Intouchables was especially good.
"truth is a group of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms; a sum of human relation which is poetically and rhetorically intensified, metamorphosed and adored so that after a long time it is then codified in the binding canon."

Puffined
Limp Member
Mood: Great!

Post by Puffined » 4th Jun, '13, 22:00

Didn't like the film.. as for me, it's too stupid..

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 7th Jun, '13, 19:44

I liked The Dictator, if nothing else for his arrival in NY to go to the UN.

Django, not so much. Can't get into the whole Southerners=Nazis thing, perhaps for obvious reasons. Plus, the required montage of how he became a super badass gunfighter and rifle shot was missing. We need a montage!
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt