Phuket - weather, wind, waves - good websites

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Phuket - weather, wind, waves - good websites

Post by Dinosaur » 27th Mar, '09, 18:16

I know some of you folks visit Phuket from time to time. Thought you might be interested in some of these links if you're coming to the island.

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=310
This is a really brilliant website if you're interesting in waves, winds, rain (for whatever reason). I think the guy is based on the North-West coast of Phuket but, even if you're staying in a different part of the island, it gives a good indication of the conditions. We've found it to be amazingly accurate. Good for windsurfers, boaters, etc.

http://phuket-weather.blogspot.com/
If you want to research what the weather is like at any particular time of the year (I mean, honest reports) Jamie's weather blog is very good and lots of banter and pics too. On the left-hand side there's a weather archive link for each month going back to 2006.

http://jamie-monk.blogspot.com/
And there's Jamie's blog for all info about Phuket - best beaches, places to visit, blah blah blah. We occasionally look at the website when we're ready for a day out but can't think where to go. Lots of off-the-beaten-track places on the website apart from all the usual ones.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Phuket-Forum-f31.html
If you want any info about Phuket from local residents, this is the place to put your questions. Like a lot of forums (not this one obviously [smilie=rotflmao.gif] ), there are also a lot of twats on there but you can generally find someone who'll put a sensible posting.

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Re: Phuket - weather, wind, waves - good websites

Post by Sardonicus » 28th Mar, '09, 00:16

Thanks for this Karen, here's one more: http://www.phuketsurf.com/ though I don't think they keep it updated any more
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Mar, '09, 11:11

Rugby weekend is 29th-31st May at Karon Beach stadium. See you there!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 29th Mar, '09, 12:00

Fat Bob wrote:Rugby weekend is 29th-31st May at Karon Beach stadium. See you there!
Serious? Is that REAL professional rugby? I'm googling away to find something on this FB but cannot find lah. Have you got any more info, any website links please?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Mar, '09, 13:09

Not professional but you do get a good standard. I think Dan Scarborough played a few years ago. He's an England cap (though I'd agree is a minor one)

More info here
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 29th Mar, '09, 13:56

You playing for the Kings in the Coffin Dodgers comp by any chance? [smilie=kiss.gif]
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 29th Mar, '09, 17:03

That'll be the one. And then support the sponsors on saturday and sunday. That'll be the pie shop and the beer shop! YAY!

Poppy Appeal

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 26th Jul, '09, 14:04

It's so quiet here at the moment - it's low season but really really quiet. Just wonder how Fat Bob got on in Patong (was it Patong?) - any tourists about FB?

We don't go out drinking so much these days (recession y'know) but last night we had a very looooong night with friends at the Sunshine Bar in Rawai. Some of you may know it. It's probably the most popular Thai bar in Rawai. We passed a number of bars on the way there and all without exception were empty - nobody. Our friends and us were the only people in the bar for most of the evening (Saturday night :( ) just two other couples (tourists) came and went during the whole evening. Scarey.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 26th Jul, '09, 15:59

Patong was pretty strong last week. OK, not packed, but enough people around. Keith Floyd's restaurant was good again, nothing surprising there, and enjoyed it all.

Poppy Appeal

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 26th Jul, '09, 17:33

Cheers FB. Just read in the Phuket Gazette that Patong is "outperforming" other areas of the island.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=7598

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 26th Jul, '09, 18:55

Karen - how's the weather, and the ocean conditions these days?
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 27th Jul, '09, 10:49

Sardonicus wrote:Karen - how's the weather, and the ocean conditions these days?
Not been down the beach for weeks - not a beachy person really, all wasted on me ;) but windguru is your friend (see link below). Looks like good surfing weather. The link is for the north-west of the island but, as the wind and waves are all coming from south-west or west during the summer, good indication for all of the west coast. And probably means it will be a crap day for boating for us tomorrow - unless we want a drenching.

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=310

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 27th Jul, '09, 10:50

And does this mean you're now fit n well, Sardy? Hope so.

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 30th Jul, '09, 22:02

Just realised I never responded Karen - well, actually, not completely, but will know more in the coming weeks. But better, thanks for asking.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Re: Phuket - early monsoon

Post by Dinosaur » 23rd Aug, '09, 16:11

Rainy season starts here around late May but the serious stuff usually begins September and goes into October. But looks like it's started early. Heavy stuff last night and all day today and windguru predicting heavy rains, winds for the coming week. [smilie=cry.gif]