Transit & decisions

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Transit & decisions

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '09, 12:36

So

What would you choose to visit - Nova Scotia (Prince Edward Island) or New York?

(Lets say you've said since you were 12 that you wanted to visit the place where Anne Green Gables is based if you ever made it to Canada)

What's the absolute minimum time a person could do in New York (our agent says minimum of 3days, and I think I might be able to get 24hr max). Would someone be able to recommend the perfect hotel location for walking around that wouldn't require a mortgage?

Is LA airport reeeeally that bad. ie would you pick a flight that took you via LA to JFK just so you could do a minimum of 24hrs in New York (and get bonus of your one world alliance points that you do use). Or would you go direct on Air Canada (star alliance) to your Canadian destination?
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: Transit & decisions

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 24th Sep, '09, 12:52

Do I understand correctly - is it 24 hours in New York City v 24 hours in Nova Scotia?

LAX is a nightmare, but if the itinerary is better and there's points for it, yeah, I'd do it. Just repeat over and over "at least it's not Charles de Gaulle."
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Possum
Going Postal

Post by Possum » 24th Sep, '09, 13:02

NEW YORK NEW YORK. I popped to New York for the day is a nice one to add to the Bucket-list. That city has a very special buzz to its name. I would make a short list off the top of your head of places/experiences that pop to mind when you think of New York then pick your top 3 sights and top 2 experiences and combine them into a fun filled day.
Children aren't colouring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colours.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '09, 13:13

Yeah, didn't really explain that great.

I have to pick a global ticket. And it's one world vs star. There are different routes on tickets.

So that's probably starting place. I will be travelling over weekends, but I'm going to parts of world where there's stacks to see and I'm trying to squeeze at least couple icon places (well on 'my' list of things to do this lifetime) in around work commitments...and what is within reason + budget...

If I go Star Alliance, then I'll go late as possible straight to east side of Canada, then try spend weekend in area, then fly on to Europe Sunday/Monday.

If I go One world, then I'll try take a day+ earlier and get a day in NY, then fly connection up Sunday. Then next weekend go straight to Milan on Friday night.

I have to find out what connections are, cause if Star Alliance could take me back out via NY, then it might come to which place would I spend a weekend in.

Think I'm leaning toward NY.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '09, 13:20

Possum wrote:NEW YORK NEW YORK. I popped to New York for the day is a nice one to add to the Bucket-list. That city has a very special buzz to its name. I would make a short list off the top of your head of places/experiences that pop to mind when you think of New York then pick your top 3 sights and top 2 experiences and combine them into a fun filled day.
Good points Poss.
I just want to walk around and look at the buildings most of all - I saw Scooter Girls pics on Facebook and it pulled me in!!!! I want to go to an italian deli. I want to walk down a fashion strip. I want to go to a bookshop. I want to buy a poster. I want to know what angel cake is and try it. I want to end the day with agin cocktail and look over the park.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 24th Sep, '09, 13:52

That sounds like a great day in NY! The second itinerary is a ton of travel. It would depend on how much you want to see in NYC, even if only for a short time. For what you want to do you'll need to stay in mid-town. 5th Avenue fashion, and I'm thinking Barnes & Noble has a flagship store not too far away at Columbus Circle, there are Italian delis everywhere - angel food cake? Is that something not available outside New York? I just thought everybody ate it? Cocktails overlooking the park are all right there too. I can ask a friend to recommend the Central Park cocktail venue as the only one I can think of at the moment is typical- Tavern on the Green which is in the park but not necessarily overlooking it - I'm guessing you're thinking something more highrise with a view. I thought there was a Mandarin Oriental with a killer sky lobby bar - I can do some sleuthing on that one. There are lots of hotels in mid-town but few steals - press your agent hard.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Sep, '09, 13:56

Some of the most fun people I've had the pleasure of meeting came from PEI and Newfoundland
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Post by canuck » 24th Sep, '09, 14:39

what time of year are you talking about?
If winter, go to new york, if summer go to PEI

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 24th Sep, '09, 14:40

Next Month (end Oct)

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 24th Sep, '09, 15:35

I landed in New York on a Saturday tea-time and left on Monday tea-time. If I hadn't spent approx. 5am-5pm on a drip in ER, I think I could have done the major sights.

As it was, we crammed quite a few into the Monday - including going up a very big tower that's no longer there. We walked miles, just soaked up the atmosphere.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 24th Sep, '09, 17:13

Tas wrote:Next Month (end Oct)
That's autumn, go to neither. Ditch the whole plan!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 24th Sep, '09, 23:25

Definitely do plan it well if you stop in NY, it's overwhelming the first time you get there and stuff can be very far away and take a while to get to. Subway works remarkably well though - i'm not an expert but let me know if you need any help etc.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 25th Sep, '09, 08:47

Never been to Newfoundland (although always fancied a road trip right across Canada) but been to NY about 7 times and loved it. As someone (Poss?) said, some of the best experiences come from just wandering around. You obviously won't see everything, but I always like to leave something for next time to make me go back. Not yet been up Empire State Building, for example.

The best cheesecake in the world (IMO) is at the Brooklyn Diner, off Seventh Avenue, nearish Carnegie Hall. Almost worth going to New York 'specially.