Malaysia beach holidays

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Re: Malaysia beach holidays

Post by Dinosaur » 13th Oct, '09, 17:22

azzam wrote: The developed parts I thought, were plain ugly, in that way that only malaysia seems to know how to do...
I have rarely ever been anything but disappointed by what Malaysia does to her beaches. They need their backsides kicked.
[smilie=rotflmao.gif] oh so true A, nicely put. The food's great though but, then again, if you're in Singapore, you've got the food already.

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 13th Oct, '09, 17:32

azzam wrote:Closed from November to March
Shucks I clearly didn't read the fine print.
azzam wrote:What was absolutely fabulous about Langkawi was the nature reserve. Of course, with the bum boats roaring around in it with their oversized engines, I doubt that it will have much nature left soon. But it was beautiful and I confess to enjoying the speed too :-)
The developed parts I thought, were plain ugly, in that way that only malaysia seems to know how to do...
I have rarely ever been anything but disappointed by what Malaysia does to her beaches. They need their backsides kicked.
Sorry if I sound sniffy but it's true. Take them to the Pacific, Minty.
So true. I've been to so many places in Malaysia, and the shabbiness is just everywhere. If it's not shabby, it's usually an eyesore. Why is that???

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 13th Oct, '09, 20:30

Cos Malaysia is truly Asia
We are the TPF

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 14th Oct, '09, 03:50

BoD wrote:Cos Malaysia is truly Asia
We get lots of those ads. We also recently started getting some nauseating ads for Singapore that mention the IRs. Seems a bit premature to me.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 14th Oct, '09, 07:01

I was thinking that too K, those ads for Singapore are really weird, you would think the IRs were opening next week. Of course they don't explain what they are so perhaps no one takes any notice.

Az, your words about Malaysian beaches are true. I love Langkawi, and some of the beaches there are great but almost all end up with plastic bags etc etc strew the whole way down them. Sad really because there are some beautiful places there.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of villa like places for rent in Malaysia FM, Thailand seems to have heaps but Malaysians don't go in for it much. The east coast is really awful during monsoon season too, and lots and lots of places are closed for Nov through to March because of it.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 14th Oct, '09, 08:34

azzam wrote:Take them to the Pacific, Minty.
yeah, lots of cheap stays on Samoa...

we've been to Tanjung Rhu on Langkawi again this August and it was absolutely great. neither filthy nor shabby, and they have a machine to clean their huge private beach every morning.

then again, it's not what FM's looking for now.

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 14th Oct, '09, 09:46

Kooky wrote:
We get lots of those ads. We also recently started getting some nauseating ads for Singapore that mention the IRs. Seems a bit premature to me.
Sentosa's new whizz bang resort is going to be operational by January, but in stages I believe.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 14th Oct, '09, 11:31

The one that's been knocking around on another place is Malaysia truly lazier :D

I would have to say that you see what you want to see sometimes with beaches (and other places). Phuket, without doubt, has some stunning beaches but if you look around you'll see some shabby bits, some litter, and worse. That pic I posted of beach on Langkawi looked just perfect to me. I saw no litter. On the other hand, I visited the "major town" Kuah and boy what a dump that was (apart from the marina which was perfection) and a bit too "Malay" for my liking. Shabbiness everywhere though if you go look - even Singapore - take a look around the back of Katong, Joo Chiat.

I would still steer FM towards Langkawi for a family beach holiday, if he is insistent on going to Malaysia that is. There are good beaches and it's good weather time and not so expensive if you pick the right hotel/location. If not, jump on a plane to Phuket or Krabi from KL. Lots of direct flights KL to Phuket only about 45 minutes flight. Koh Samui on the other side gets the north-east monsoon a bit.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 14th Oct, '09, 12:32

OK, You've all conviced me on Tioman (and the websites also say the monsoon is really bad) so anyone got any suggestions for places to stay/websites etc for Langkawi.

This is a family beach holiday for seven people for three weeks, so please don't bother posting 5 star resorts where you had a nice weekend getaway; we simply can't afford that level. Will happily consider all options including self-catering apartments etc.

Many thanks.

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 14th Oct, '09, 12:40

phuketkaren wrote:
The one that's been knocking around on another place is Malaysia truly lazier :D

On the other hand, I visited the "major town" Kuah and boy what a dump that was (apart from the marina which was perfection) and a bit too "Malay" for my liking. Shabbiness everywhere though if you go look - even Singapore - take a look around the back of Katong, Joo Chiat.

I would still steer FM towards Langkawi for a family beach holiday, if he is insistent on going to Malaysia that is. There are good beaches and it's good weather time and not so expensive if you pick the right hotel/location. If not, jump on a plane to Phuket or Krabi from KL. Lots of direct flights KL to Phuket only about 45 minutes flight. Koh Samui on the other side gets the north-east monsoon a bit.
Perhaps I should clarify - it's not shabbiness itself that offends me, in fact I sometimes welcome it after Singapore's tidiness. It just seems to me that parts of Malaysia have a long way to go before they give any real attention to their environment, hence my dismay at the bags on the beach and rubbish strewn around everywhere, the half baked construction. Having that said, I know there are people trying to raise the awareness.
FM, I did a quick shoot there a while ago, will try and dig up some of the contacts.
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 14th Oct, '09, 12:45

I wonder just how bad the Cameron Highlands are now. I last went nearly 10 years ago, and even then they seemed to have managed to completely ruin the place by cutting down most of the trees and building indiscriminately
We are the TPF

Pinklepurr

Post by Pinklepurr » 14th Oct, '09, 13:57

Have you tried any of the villa websites (you know the ones that people use to advertise their own villas for rent). We have found quite a few places on sites like that in the past, but as I said there doesn't seem to be many around Malaysia, but you never know.

I haven't got any details in particular, but I always just used to google holiday villas & whatever country and go from there. Almost all the ones we rented were from UK sites but we had a lot of luck with them. You may find it difficult at that time of year if you haven't booked yet unfortunately.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 14th Oct, '09, 14:22

http://www.travel-library.com/b&b/asia/ ... house.html

Is this getting any closer to what you're looking for, FM?

You can browse around this site a bit - there are a few other cheap-o places listed, too. This one looks not bad, but I'd definitely ask the owner to send more pics.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 14th Oct, '09, 14:27

Here you go, just what you want

Cheap but not so Nasty in Malaysia
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 14th Oct, '09, 14:35

baloo wrote:Here you go, just what you want

Cheap but not so Nasty in Malaysia
Apart from it not being anywhere near Langkawi ... or even the sea for that matter.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 14th Oct, '09, 14:41

That Palms Guest House that Lili put seems to be near the beach that I put the pic of - Pantai something or other. Certainly some cheap eats around there and bars (duty free island - yay).

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 14th Oct, '09, 14:45

Pantai Cenang is the main beach, so you don't have to be stuck at a resort paying top dollar for every meal and activity. Plus, I like the fact that you can email the owners before you go and chat them up, they'll probably have all kinds of useful info.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 14th Oct, '09, 14:50

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:http://www.travel-library.com/b&b/asia/ ... house.html

Is this getting any closer to what you're looking for, FM?

Yup, much closer to what I'm after. many thanks.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal

Post by Fresh Mint » 14th Oct, '09, 18:28

Thanks for all your help but I suddenly had a brainwave and a complete change of tack and so now it is off to Lombok.

Friends have offered us their beachside house (again, I was there last year over New year) and there are also the lovely Gili islands.

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 14th Oct, '09, 18:36

Wish I had a friend with a house in Lombok :(

Bender

Post by Bender » 14th Oct, '09, 19:24

I'm more ambitious. I wish I had a house in Lombok. ;)
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 14th Oct, '09, 19:27

So do I, then I could come and visit. :)

Rosbif71
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Rosbif71 » 15th Oct, '09, 16:26

have been to both the Sea Gypsy and Rimba.
Rimba has great snorkelling but the tide goes out a long way meaning no swimming during a large part of the day. the food is pretty good. The matress in our hut was damp and there was no water between 10am-5pm

Sea Gypsy has a really nice beach and you can swim throughout the day. The food was very much canteen style. the hut was a bit more modern and water was available throughout the day

If we go back it will be to the Sea Gypsy

bryannnnn
Limp Member
Mood: cool

Post by bryannnnn » 26th May, '11, 22:36

What's not to like about Malaysia? Especially the "ulu" areas are still so pure and so authentic.

We often visit the Malaysian East Coast, in particular a breath-taking pristine cape of coastal wilderness called Tanjung Resang, just north of Mersing.

Tanjung Resang is a bit off the beaten track, but we consider that a blessing in disguise, as it ensures that the area won't be so easily discovered by the convoys of droning buses and tourist droves.

Tanjung Resang is natural tranquility for ultimate relaxation.
Bryan Norman
Malaysia Sea Sports

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 26th May, '11, 23:01

bryannnnn wrote:What's not to like about Malaysia?
KL