Qatar to London

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Qatar to London

Post by Spike » 16th Oct, '09, 08:01

Can anyone share an exerience of travelling Singapore to London on Qatar Air? It's a long haul (18 hours) but half the price of SIA and $600 cheaper than BA/Qantas. My biggest concern is losing my luggage during the transfer in Doha!
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

canuck
I live here
Mood: 109

Re: Qatar to London

Post by canuck » 16th Oct, '09, 08:09

I'd say 6 hours of my time and my sanity is worth $600 dollars :)

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 16th Oct, '09, 09:07

My nieces have done it when the came to visit (twice) with no issues. Having said that, they're not frequent flyers so wouldn't have much to compare to.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Oct, '09, 15:28

If you're going cheap, why not Emirates? I think ~$1000, only 2 hour stop over in Dubai and access to many places in UK rather than London/Manchester.

What you going to do for 6 hours in an airport?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 16th Oct, '09, 20:09

Fat Bob wrote:If you're going cheap, why not Emirates? I think ~$1000, only 2 hour stop over in Dubai and access to many places in UK rather than London/Manchester.

What you going to do for 6 hours in an airport?
Good thought. Emirates didn't come up in my search on Wego.com. Someone told me today that Emirates business class is superb but economy is nothing short of surly.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 16th Oct, '09, 20:15

Spike wrote:Good thought. Emirates didn't come up in my search on Wego.com. Someone told me today that Emirates business class is superb but economy is nothing short of surly.
Just checked. Fare is $1569 and transfer time in Dubai 6-8 hours!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 16th Oct, '09, 20:17

50/50 on Emirates. Had a great flight from Dubai to Joburg. Had a shit ground service in both countries. Had a rather drunken sleepy flight to Dubai from Singapore.....Singapore ground staff were great, and my mate was in business and got a free car at both ends.....so some good and some bad.

Got good post-service from them, they paid for my flight changes due to the poor service in South Africa. So overall positive experience.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 16th Oct, '09, 20:29

Spike, when are you wanting to fly, bad has similar prices, but probably not the days you want right?

Spike
Going Postal

Post by Spike » 16th Oct, '09, 21:15

Flying 10 Feb returning 15 Feb 2010. I'll probably end up going in comfort on SIA A380 instead of going through the pain of transfers, especially as I'm only going for 6 days. It's hardly time for my luggage to catch up with me if it gets lost at the transit point.

canuck
I live here

Post by canuck » 16th Oct, '09, 21:24

what I got from BA

1 Adult SGD998.00 +taxes SGD573.00 = SGD1,571.00
out the 10th back the 15th

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 17th Oct, '09, 09:19

Spike wrote:Flying 10 Feb returning 15 Feb 2010. I'll probably end up going in comfort on SIA A380 instead of going through the pain of transfers, especially as I'm only going for 6 days. It's hardly time for my luggage to catch up with me if it gets lost at the transit point.
Heathrow is probably more of an issue regarding lost luggage than the ransit point!

BA and Qantas still have 747's on that route. So cheaper but older planes (I think Qantas did quite a few up but you're never sure which ones)

Emirates are the same price as BA/Qantas......so wouldn't go because of the transfer time.

For $1024, Qater have some good flights with only a 2 hour stop over. Also a choice to go to a couple of extra UK cities.

Go direct to the various websites rather than using a search engine.

Poppy Appeal

Rosbif71
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Rosbif71 » 18th Oct, '09, 14:42

we went in May with Emirates. the flights to and from Singapore were pretty poor.
the flights from Dubai to London and back were pretty good (A380). we only had 2 hour stopovers