perth

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Satellite
Going Postal
Mood: Cybered

perth

Post by Satellite » 26th Feb, '10, 10:25

Are there any must see/do in our itenary we are missing? Bear in mind we'll be with a one year old so full afternoon major activity and only minor ones in the morning (eg near hotel , etc) or vice versa preferred.

1) perth zoo
2) botanic garden/burswood park
3) walk along city centre.

oh we'll be there 4 days but willing to extend if more to see/do.

Satellite
Going Postal

Re: perth

Post by Satellite » 26th Feb, '10, 10:27

one more thing. What attire should we bring for early may? winter clothes?

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 26th Feb, '10, 10:47

Perth Aquarium, right on the beach and Rottnest Island

http://www.discoverwest.com.au/western_ ... tions.html
Autumn in Perth: Autumn begins in March and finishes at the end of May, although autumn in Perth is not typical of autumns most people would be familiar with. Autumn in Perth is like an extension of summer, or perhaps a second spring. With warm sunny days and cooler nights, there is still plenty of sunshine left before the onset of winter. Although the weather is still mostly fine, there may be an occasional shower or humidity.

Average Autumn Temperatures
March: Daytime 27-30C Overnight Minimum 15-18C
April: Daytime 24-27C Overnight Minimum 12-15C
May: Daytime 21-24C Overnight Minimum 9-12C

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 26th Feb, '10, 11:39

I've been twice in June. I'd say it's like a British Summertime, so a cardie for evenings would be good. It can be a bit blowy along the river/the coast. We've a picture of a 7 week old Mini in a cardie and hat on the river in February, but then then the next day was scorching.

Other things:

Kings Park (where the Botanics are). Look for the Lottery West family area - huge kiddie play area.
Beaches: Cottesloe and Scarborough are relatively close to town. Our favourite in Quinns Rocks, but that's about an hour north.
Subiaco: cafes, interesting shops, market
Fremantle: Similar. Go to the Little Creatures microbrewery
Whiteman park: Has play area, wildlife park, trains/trams, transport museum, Caversham Wildlife Park
Hire bikes and ride along Swan River, stopping for a beer at Swan brewery
Visit Rottnest Island
Hillary's Boatyard - marina plus acquarium

Where are you staying, and are you hiring a car?

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 26th Feb, '10, 11:49

thanks!

I knew I could count on you SM for family friendly activities :)

Don't know where we are going to stay yet or if we are to hire a car - haven't planned that far ahead. Only just picked the dates!

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 26th Feb, '10, 11:54

Oz has VERY strict seat belt laws, so you won't be able to get a taxi unless it has a baby seat.

If you decide to hire a car (and I'd advise it), Bayswater is very cheap, but you still have the problem of getting from the airport as they only have an office in town.

If you hire from the airport, the "big" names won't install the car seat for you. YOu then have to faff about fitting the bloody thing in when you've just got off a flight, and Ozzie car seats have a long strap that you need to connect to a hook in the boot as well. So I'd advise Bursood car rental, as you can collect from the airport and they DO pre-install the seat for you.

expat yorkshire
Going Postal

Post by expat yorkshire » 26th Feb, '10, 12:02

I would second Rottnest ...its one of my favourite places in Australia

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 26th Feb, '10, 12:32

Scummy Mummy wrote:Oz has VERY strict seat belt laws, so you won't be able to get a taxi unless it has a baby seat.
sorry, not quite true:
The driver of a taxi will be exempt from the new provisions if there is no suitable approved child restraint available and, if the vehicle has two or more rows of seats, the passenger is not in the front row of seats.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 26th Feb, '10, 12:37

Ok, didn't know that. I know we had to get a taxi between the Domestic and International terminals and we had to wait while they found one with a baby seat.

Having said that taxis are expensive, so may well work out cheaper to hire a car.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 26th Feb, '10, 13:16

I really liked Rottnest but only once we got away from the horrible flies! They seemed to be the worst right in the area where the ferry lets you off - once we got the bus to the other side of the island (and a beautiful, serene, deserted beach) they were non-existent. This was late December -- not sure if the flies are seasonal or not.

Kings Park is great - good playground and a nice place to spend a few hours.

Do you have your own car seat you can bring? If so, bring it and rent a car at the airport -- call and reserve in advance though. Even though I reserved online, they didn't actually have the car I'd reserved. Apparently something screwy with National's online reservation service :roll: (Or use someone other than National (or whatever they're called in Oz - Europcar or something?)

Edit: smiley screw-up
Last edited by slinky on 26th Feb, '10, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 26th Feb, '10, 14:10

thanks! I didn't really think about the nity gritty details of communting in a car with th baby! getting a car witht he car seat already in place sounds a good option, otherwise we'll have to lug one around everywhere we go. Might then be better to just let him sit on my lap on the plane vs gettign a seat for him (as I undertad he wold then need a carseat on it).

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 26th Feb, '10, 14:14

Morrolan wrote:[
The driver of a taxi will be exempt from the new provisions if there is no suitable approved child restraint available and, if the vehicle has two or more rows of seats, the passenger is not in the front row of seats.]
I wonder how widespread this practice reall yis. Are taxi drivers really aware of this and will accomodate in such instances.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 26th Feb, '10, 14:18

Satellite wrote:thanks! I didn't really think about the nity gritty details of communting in a car with th baby! getting a car witht he car seat already in place sounds a good option, otherwise we'll have to lug one around everywhere we go. Might then be better to just let him sit on my lap on the plane vs gettign a seat for him (as I undertad he wold then need a carseat on it).
You can buy him a seat on the plane without necessarily putting a car seat in it.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 26th Feb, '10, 14:22

oh really! I just booked the tickets on SQ and when enquired was told that I'd need a carseat to be placed in it! Might eenquire directly fromt eh airlines.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 26th Feb, '10, 14:25

If you want him strapped into the seat for take off, landing and turbulance, then yeah, I think you need a car seat. If you're happy to have him belted on your lap during the seatbelt signage being on, then it's fine.

We booked a seat for BBII from about a year onwards as he was not content in the bassinet. The seat made sure he didn't have to spend the whole flight being held.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 26th Feb, '10, 14:27

Really? They almost looked at us like we were mad when we took the car seat. Once we had this very patronsing ground staff who told us that we'd need to put it in a seat rather than the aisle (yeah, right) and didn't believe us that it folded. But we stopped using a car seat about 1.5 years ago with no issues.

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 4th Mar, '10, 14:04

ok it is one or the other

1) lotterywest or
2) whiteman park

Which would you choose?

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 4th Mar, '10, 15:37

Kings Park is in town so a LOT nearer. He's probably a bit young for the trains/animals etc at Whiteman, unless Mr Sate is a trainspotter?

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 30th Mar, '10, 21:23

A thought just came to mind. I heard that we can't bring in foodstuff. I intend to bring Baby Sate's formula and jar food etc in hand carriage and check in. Would this be allowed? Would they make any exceptions?

I can't imagine not brining any food for baby sate.. what if he is disagreeable to formula sold there and doesn't like the jar food sold there.. like he didn't like it in the UK?

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 30th Mar, '10, 21:24

Also, any hotels to recommend in the freementle area?

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 30th Mar, '10, 22:58

I've always used Quest Apartments in Australia, they are clean and give you a bit more room. Not always expensive.

No idea about baby food. Check if the one you buy here is made in Australia, and therefore more than likely available there.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

kittykat
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: In a state of flux

Post by kittykat » 31st Mar, '10, 00:44

Satellite wrote:A thought just came to mind. I heard that we can't bring in foodstuff. I intend to bring Baby Sate's formula and jar food etc in hand carriage and check in. Would this be allowed? Would they make any exceptions?

I can't imagine not brining any food for baby sate.. what if he is disagreeable to formula sold there and doesn't like the jar food sold there.. like he didn't like it in the UK?
Sate - you can take in food just make sure you declare it on the Customs Declaration form. You can't take in food like nuts, seeds and fresh fruit. Everything needs to be sealed. Also re baby food - no probs to bring it in - again declare the jars and they may check they are still sealed. There is a huge range of baby food here so hopefully baby Sate will find something he likes. You could try bringing in a few labels only and sticking them on the Oz baby food jars - he won't know the difference. Or bring in the empty SG baby food jars and tip the Oz baby food into the empty jar. Re formula you should be fine if it's sealed. Joys of travelling with le bebe! ;)
Because you're worth it...

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 31st Mar, '10, 09:44

Thanks Kittykat.

He has actually been weaned, pretty much but still likes his pumpkin and parsnip jar food for brunch and his maggie rice porridge. the latter is A very asian thing and forms the bulk of his food that I am not sure will be sold there. As it is there is only one brand here where there used to be two.

Eidt; just want to be on the safe side.
Last edited by Satellite on 31st Mar, '10, 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 31st Mar, '10, 10:11

I got so many conflicting views on whether you could take in formula that I emailed AQIS (quarantine) the first time we went (Mini was only 7 weeks old, ate every 2 hours, and the shops would be shut by the time we'd got out of the airport). THey said it was fine if sealed. Since then I've done it loads of times (sealed and unsealed) and also taken M+S food stuff for my cousin. As KK says, just make sure you declare it. In fact the queue at Customs for those WITH something to declare is usually shorter at Perth airport, so I normally deliberately take something to decare!

Satellite
Going Postal

Post by Satellite » 31st Mar, '10, 22:22

great tip!