Travel insurance

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Travel insurance

Post by Fat Bob » 20th Apr, '10, 07:41

There's a big article in the Torygraph about how some of the cheaper travel insurance policies may not cover you for travel delays arising from natural disasters. Even more so when you book flights and accommodation separately from the UK. If you tend to book them as a package, then the travel agent/company has some responsibilities, but the airlines have limited funds to give and that all depends on where i the world you are stranded.

Just checked my policy (formerly the AIG Travel Guard, now Chartis Insurance Travel Guard) for such events, luckily covered:

Travel Curtailment including Aircraft Hijacking
Covers additional travel or accommodation expenses incurred or forfeited after the commencement of the Trip in the event of serious injury/sickness of Insured; aircraft hijack whilst onboard; unexpected death or injury/sickness of immediate family member or travel
companion; unexpected strike, riot, etc; natural disaster; and quarantine.

Also covers the cost of getting back to Singapore quickly in the even of the above.

So I'm happy there, make sure yours covers as best it can and sleep easy on holiday!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

FurBaby
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: bedoggled

Re: Travel insurance

Post by FurBaby » 20th Apr, '10, 08:16

phew! i have a Chartis policy for my trip to Europe which is scheduled to start this Sunday ...

FB you are a veritable font of ash-delay-related information :)