Layang Layang Diving April 2010 - Trip report

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Layang Layang Diving April 2010 - Trip report

Post by Fat Bob » 1st May, '10, 11:54

Just returned from a dive trip to Layang Layang, and a great time had. Went their last year and was unlucky with lack of visibility in the water, but this year was much better on some days.

For those that don't know, Layang Layang is part of the Spratly Islands, about 300km north west of Kota Kinabalu, in the middle of the South China Sea. The place itself is an atoll which comes up from the sea floor 2000m below, and this means you get some good currents and the like there.

The main attraction at Layang Layang is the number of large pelagic fish, though the top spot must go to the schooling hammerheads which come up from below to depths of 30m or so. Also present (and observed whilst I was there, but not all by me) include whale sharks, mantas, devil rays, eagle rays, various reef sharks, large groups of tuna, jacks, barracuda, plus turtles and various reef fish as well.

As everyone is looking for the hammerheads, the dive schedule is quite punishing, 2 dives a day in the deep blue at 30+ metres at early o'clock, followed by some reef diving later in the afternoon at a more relaxed pace.

My recommendation: go. You may not get to see the hammerheads, but the diving itself is fantastic and gives you some good chance to get narc'd on the nitrogen at such depths!

I'm getting the photos and videos uploaded, but here's one for now, the hammerhead one is longer, larger and well worth waiting for!

edit- photos are here
Last edited by Fat Bob on 2nd May, '10, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Re: Layang Layang Diving April 2010 - Trip report

Post by Fat Bob » 1st May, '10, 14:08

...and here's the hammerheads....cool indeed!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Rosbif71
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Rosbif71 » 3rd May, '10, 17:37

I use my air quick enough at 15m.
would probably have to come straight back up after getting to 30m (with necessary stops of course)

unfortunately finances have meant that my diving gear has prtty much stayed in the bomb shelter since we got here. 1 lousy dive near Pulau Sibu has been my lot

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 3rd May, '10, 21:11

I feel I know you quite well now after listening to all that heavy breathing Fat Boab.