Thailand situation - Phuket

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Thailand situation - Phuket

Post by Fat Bob » 20th May, '10, 07:36

Does anyone know of how the situation is going in Phuket? I just read that a curfew has been extended to 23 provinces in Thailand, but I'm not sure if Phuket is one nor if the Red Shirt issues are spread that far.

Heading up for the annual rugby bash, wouldn't be fun if we got there and had to get back to the hotel by 8pm. The hotel isn't the best in the world so only good for sleeping when drunk!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Re: Thailand situation - Phuket

Post by Morrolan » 20th May, '10, 08:12

Australian government has issued a 'reconsider travel' warning for all of Thailand now and a 'completely avoid' advice on Bangkok. i'm guessing that Phuket would be the safer area to go to, however, the Kiwis have expressly included Phuket in their travel warning.
Last edited by Morrolan on 20th May, '10, 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 20th May, '10, 08:34

I read the same thing and couldn't figure out why the US issued a no-go for all of Thailand. Is Dino around?
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 20th May, '10, 16:15

Might be worth looking on thaivisa.com

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 20th May, '10, 16:35

found Phuket Gazette this morning, I think the biggest issue is what happens over the next few days between Red Shirts and the army. If it beats up and spreads, then I'd be suggesting to people that a rethink might be required. If it's only Bangkok burning down then we'll head up.

So Dino, do you want a few hundred rugby players in Phuket or not for the weekend? Noticed there's also some sort of Vet Footbal Competition or something on.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Post by Dinosaur » 20th May, '10, 18:51

Do I personally want a few hundred rugby players? Mmmm let me consider that one, young man :D

FWIW (so far) absolutely nuffink happening on Phuket. It's incredibly quiet though. We flew back into Phuket airport last Sunday and it was as dead as a dodo. Just breezed through Immigration.

I read that they've beefed up security at Phuket Provincial Hall just in case. Phuket is very very pro Democrat (that's Abhisit the PM). Very few red shirts on Phuket - they'd probably get lynched. Yellow shirts are another matter entirely.

So far all the protests and curfews are in Bangkok and Chiang Mai and Isaan (the North East) - Chiang Mai and Isaan being the red shirt strongholds I believe.

That's about all I know folks.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 20th May, '10, 21:46

Thanks Dino, will keep an eye out but I think it'll be OK. So a couple of hundred rugby players will be on your door step in a weeks time.

Poppy Appeal

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 21st May, '10, 03:16

Check out whats going on at teakdoor.com -panama hat's hangout-very busy thai expat forum
ask on there & I'm sure you'll get a shitload of info

I'm following the Thai situation on that site-best info I've found
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 21st May, '10, 07:38

Ta skank, will watch that over the coming weeks. Let's just hope the yellow shirts don't sit in at the airport again when I'm either on my way or on my way back.

Poppy Appeal

Scrummy Mummy
I live here

Post by Scrummy Mummy » 21st May, '10, 11:00

We're supposed to be going (with Mini) in August to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. Obviously won't be going if it's at all dodgy. Handy having Dino there for info on the ground.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 21st May, '10, 11:06

Apparently there is a real stench around the condos in central Bangkok due to people getting out of town for a weekend but then not being able to get back. Many pets have starved to death.

Our offices have been inaccessible for a few days now. Reports from our people there say this is by far the worst that they've ever seen.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 21st May, '10, 11:15

Fat Bob wrote:Ta skank, will watch that over the coming weeks. Let's just hope the yellow shirts don't sit in at the airport again when I'm either on my way or on my way back.
I don't think that will happen. I have read that there is a kind of "understanding" between the yellow shirts and the airport now. I think they would kill them first. I also heard that Thai Airways is thinking of doing more direct international flights through Phuket rather than Bangkok.

There's no red shirt presence to speak of in Phuket as it's pro Democrat. They would have to sneak in over the bridge to the mainland and my guess is that security on the bridge will be sh*t-hot at the moment.

skank-la
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 22nd May, '10, 07:02

I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 22nd May, '10, 07:13

Quite an angry board there methinks.

Poppy Appeal

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 22nd May, '10, 14:21

Fat Bob wrote:Quite an angry board there methinks.
Yes, if I recall correctly, I mentioned on this board before that teakdoor was particularly juvenile IMHO - and got a fitting response from someone who fell out of his pram on here not so long ago. As Kooky recommended, try thaivisa. At least it is moderated to a certain degree. Thaivisa's facebook page is quite good as you get up to date newsfeeds.

The hotel occupancy in decline bit sounds a bit odd to me. As one poster stated, 40 percent occupancy in low season sounds quite good - though I'm not sure I believe it. It seems pretty quiet to me, even for low season. The proof of the pudding will be the high season. But the winter season after the yellow shirt protests, there were record numbers on Phuket. People forget. There will be something else in the news next month.

Snaffled
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 22nd May, '10, 15:05

Phuket isn't hit quite as hard as some other areas, but hotel occupancy and rates are WAY down. Some of the occupancy doesn't look as bad as it really is as 5* hotels are trying to attract business at rates they would normally never look at, just to make sure they have some cashflow and to keep the lights on. Occupancy doesn't look too shocking (in some places), but since revenue is significantly down, they are really looking at their costs. And from a people point of view, we all know what that means. Its not a pretty picture in hotels at the moment.

There is still a chance to recover for peak season, but the chance won't last forever.

Thaivisa is great, and their Twitter feed over the past few weeks has been fantastic. Agree that the other one does look a bit, erm, angry.
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?