I love you, but I don't like you...

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Bender
I post here professionally

I love you, but I don't like you...

Post by Bender » 10th Jun, '10, 06:58

...very much at the moment.

So yesterday Jetstar announced their new MEL-SIN service and bunged on a 2-hour sale for flights between Jan-Mar next year. "Woohoo!" I said to the OH - "sit with me while I'm on the computer and check that we're happy with the dates and the flights as I do the booking."

So we find flights that'd have us in Singapore from 10 Feb to 2 Mar. I click to select the fares that include 20kg of luggage (add $20), and go to the next screen that says the flights are held and invites you to proceed to the payment screen, when OH says "Are they the flights that include luggage?"

I say, "Yes, I'm 100% sure that's what I selected on the last screen and that's what the price shown on the screen indicates."

OH says, "But it doesn't say that luggage is included on this screen." Never mind that it doesn't say that luggage is excluded either... So, to keep OH happy, I click the back button to double-check and keep the peace.

The result: the Jetstar system releases the seats, someone else grabs them, and we miss out on 2 return flights for under $500 including taxes.

Not happy.
Last edited by Bender on 10th Jun, '10, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
“The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” – Henry David Thoreau

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Re: I love you, but I don't like you...

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 10th Jun, '10, 09:01

Story of my life, Bender, story of my life...grrrrrr....
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Jedi
Going Postal
Mood: What evs

Post by Jedi » 10th Jun, '10, 09:25

Surely there would have been a confirmation page prior to payment processing completion that would have explicitly listed all items including additional $20 luggage allowance.

Snaffled
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Hooray

Post by Snaffled » 10th Jun, '10, 09:28

Well, next time you'll know what to do...
If there was a God, then why is my arse the perfect height for kicking?

Bender

Post by Bender » 10th Jun, '10, 09:49

Jedi wrote:Surely there would have been a confirmation page prior to payment processing completion that would have explicitly listed all items including additional $20 luggage allowance.
There surely is a confirmation page prior to payment processing, and luggage isn't explicitly listed as it's built into the fare class rather than being an add-on. A "JetSaver Light" fare includes carry on only, a "JetSaver" fare includes luggage and costs $20 more. Then there's "JetPlus", "JetFlex" and "StarClass", which include things like food and entertainment.

A "JetSaver" confirmation, which includes 20kg luggage, looks like this:

"Adult...................................$204.31
Passenger Movement..................$47.00
Safety and Security.....................$4.37
AU Int Passenger SC...................$13.32
Airfare per paying Adult.............$269.00
2 x Adult Subtotal....................$538.00
"

...and costs $20 per person more than a "JetSaver Light".

The example here is today's sale price to get 2 people to Singapore (but not back) with 20kg luggage each. Last night it was under $500 return for 2 people with 20kg luggage each both ways.
Last edited by Bender on 10th Jun, '10, 09:57, edited 2 times in total.

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 10th Jun, '10, 09:58

WTF... so if you sit still on the flight can you save $47 per person? :)

I've never liked Jet*.

Bender

Post by Bender » 10th Jun, '10, 10:05

Jedi wrote:WTF... so if you sit still on the flight can you save $47 per person? :)

I've never liked Jet*.
That may have nothing to do with sitting still - it may be the fee for using the toilet. Maybe you could claim it back if you haven't had a movement during the flight? :)

I've never liked any airline, but it's a means to an end, although there are some airlines which I dislike less than others.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 10th Jun, '10, 10:08

And I can save $13 by not being Australian

I hate the way that Jetstar add extra little costs all the way throught booking process. First tax, then for choosing a seat, then for booking online (or by phone) , then for using(or not using) a credit card, for booking on day ending in "Y" etc etc.
We are the TPF

Jedi
Going Postal

Post by Jedi » 10th Jun, '10, 10:11

BoD wrote:I hate the way that Jetstar add extra little costs all the way throught booking process.
Tiger do it as well. Every next click the price jumps up. Start with something really cheap and end up with something a lot more.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 10th Jun, '10, 12:43

Jedi wrote:
BoD wrote:I hate the way that Jetstar add extra little costs all the way throught booking process.
Tiger do it as well. Every next click the price jumps up. Start with something really cheap and end up with something a lot more.
Yep - was just going to say that, Jedi. I was amazed at the final total for the airline ticket on Tiger I bought our maid last Christmas - nowhere near as cheap is it looked in the beginning.

Bender

Post by Bender » 10th Jun, '10, 13:00

Component pricing isn't so much of a problem in Oz these days - the rules were changed last year, and require advertisers who choose to use component pricing in advertisements to also provide a prominent single total price for goods and services.

This has effectively stopped car dealers for example, from advertising a low price, then adding taxes/duties, dealer charges, delivery costs etc at the time of sale. Advertised prices are now usually a "drive away" price.

Some airlines (eg Air Asia X from memory, I may be wrong) get around it by using an overseas website, showing the price and adding extras and taxes in non-australian currency as you progress through the booking screens, then giving you an estimated AUD total when you get to the payment screen.
Last edited by Bender on 10th Jun, '10, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 10th Jun, '10, 20:15

Had several bad experiences with budget airlines changing flights at last minute and, in one case, not telling me. Unless there's absolutely no other way, I fly SilkAir, Singapore Air, Qantas, BA, or any other non-budget airline and try and drink my way through the difference in beer and wine.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal