Lombok diving

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Lombok diving

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Jul, '10, 08:23

Just been to Lombok, primarily for diving, also for relaxing, and though the diving isn't top notch in comparison to some of the other places I've been, the relxing side comes easy.

Stayed on Gili Trawangan, which is off the west coast of Lombok itself, a 45 min drive and 30 min speed boat ride from the airport.

The diving tends to have a lot of currents, well, in general, any diving between any of the Indonesian island does due to the difference in height of the Pacific and Indian Oceans. On this weekend, the morning dives were slow currents which picked up by 2pm and zipped you along where ever it was going. Probably close to 1-2 mile drifts so quite a long way indeed.

Any, have a view at the pics at your pleasure, and the shark video (which is poor resolution here but on my pc looks good) is attached: 1.2m white-tip reef shark comes quite close, I think about 3 metres at one point.

Other highlights were the number of turtles, loads of them around, and managed to have one interested in me for a few seconds as he/she swam around me, unfortunately no video.

Stay at Villa Ombak beach villa, nice but they need, like many of the places in Indonesia, to focus more on the customer.

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Re: Lombok diving

Post by Kooky » 13th Jul, '10, 10:54

If the villas are anything like the hotel, I'm sure they're pretty dire.