Spain- Barcelona and Madrid

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Spain- Barcelona and Madrid

Post by Zephyr » 2nd Aug, '10, 23:04

We're going on vacation soon, first to Canada and then off to Barcelona for 4 days and Madrid for three, the third week in August. So excited!! What I'm looking for are any 'must do' or 'must see' suggestions from the jet setting folks on this board. I'm also looking at Trip Advisor but would definitely welcome any personal insight.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

sluggo
Mood: pretty damn good

Re: Spain- Barcelona and Madrid

Post by sluggo » 3rd Aug, '10, 06:07

You must eat at Los Caracoles (The Snails) in the old city in Barcelona. The food is great and they have a a great pudding that is very close to creme brule I think they call it castilian pudding. It is out of this world. Barcelona is one of my favorite cities even though I haven't been there since 1993. ( Don't worry Los Caracoles is still there).
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 3rd Aug, '10, 11:59

Ahhhh Madrid. Make sure that you get a decent place to stay so you can partake of the siesta of a lunchtime :-) The best ever invention, and you will definitely need it if you are going in August as you can forget about walking around anywhere come midday in that heat!!!

My choices would be the Golden Triangle - Reina Sofia, Prado and Thyssen museums, Plaza Major and Plaza Santa Ana to just wander and take it all in... To eat, late night tapas on Cava Baja (nr Plaza Major) and try to get to Botin resto...

OK, I will admit to being just a teensy weensy bit envious... Enjoy :D

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 3rd Aug, '10, 12:03

I'm envious, too! I have no advice for you Zeph, having never been, but Barcelona is tops on my Travel Dream List. Those Gaudi buildings look otherworldly.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Burbage
Part of the furniture
Mood: Litotic

Post by Burbage » 3rd Aug, '10, 13:12

Get pickpocketed on les Ramblas.

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 3rd Aug, '10, 13:25

Burbage wrote:Get pickpocketed on les Ramblas.
This.

No joke, the street crime in Barcelona was the most full on I've ever seen anywhere. This was a few years back, so maybe they've cleaned it up by now. But it would have to be a huge cleanup! Little Arab 12 year olds in packs of ten or so trying to grab and run with anything they can get their hands on. If it's half of what it was, it's still bad.

Other than that, the usual stuff (Guell Park, Gaudi building, Plaza de Catalunya, wandering around the city, etc) is cool.
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 3rd Aug, '10, 19:31

Barcelona is amazing - loved it.And have some sardines too :)

The Olympic stadium is there too if interested....an amazing picasso gallery , tons of stuff.
I just sent a friend a list, let me find it..

edit:
Ugh can't find it...must have deleted it....

But what T2K said - all the Gaudi stuff, or as much as you want to see, Las Ramblas, Picasso, food/drink.....the street markets....
Last edited by chocolate on 3rd Aug, '10, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Tack

Post by Tack » 3rd Aug, '10, 20:52

Or get a brick through your car window while strolling El Retiro in Madrid! August is the wrong month to get anything repaired too. Loved Madrid though but we only did the obvious touristy stuff. Mr T loves Barcelona more but hangs on tightly to his wallet.

Fresh Mint
Going Postal
Mood: Blur

Post by Fresh Mint » 3rd Aug, '10, 23:06

Devote at least a day to the Prado in Madrid.

sluggo
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 4th Aug, '10, 06:49

Fresh Mint wrote:Devote at least a day to the Prado in Madrid.
Unless you're with my wife then it will take two days. [smilie=mango.gif]
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Aug, '10, 08:03

Do people regularly take your wife to Madrid on holiday?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Monkey Hanger
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Dizzy

Post by Monkey Hanger » 4th Aug, '10, 15:41

Take an early afternoon break from Goya and Velasquez and co at the Prado and head over the road (a block down from Reina Sofia) to La Plateria for lunch. Great food.

Zephyr
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 4th Aug, '10, 22:51

Loving all the suggestions and appreciate them. :) Any suggestions on where to watch flamenco?
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Telboyofpeckham

Post by Telboyofpeckham » 14th Oct, '10, 21:42

For a great plate of seafood in Madrid try Ribeira Do Miño

http://bit.ly/d3WToZ

JaniceM
Limp Member
Mood: Fine

Post by JaniceM » 12th Feb, '13, 13:23

heyyyy....even am planning for a trip to spain in march...apart from these any other suggestions are welcome...thankss!! ;)