Fly on QANTAS 380....

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Fly on QANTAS 380....

Post by daffodil » 2nd Dec, '10, 19:25

Ok, so would you fly the 380 or not ? Singapore to UK and back....or change to alternative aircraft, assuming still with QANTAS.

Ta in advance for your considered opinion(s).
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Re: Fly on QANTAS 380....

Post by Tack » 2nd Dec, '10, 19:32

I would, on the basis that the airline now knows what fault it is looking for and won't risk flying if the problem could expose them to actual and legal carnage.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 2nd Dec, '10, 20:48

Good point, they started flying Aus - Sing - LHR last weekend and guess they wouldn't be taking risk right now.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 2nd Dec, '10, 21:38

When I booked my upcoming SIN-SYD flights on SQ in Aug/Sept, I was on A380. Now I'm on a crappy 777 on the way out and 747 on the way back. And NO other flights available on SQ on the dates I want.

So I had really good seats on the original flight, now got shit seats. Bugger.
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 2nd Dec, '10, 22:00

Funny we were discussing this only tonight as we have separate flights going back to Europe soon with Qantas and Singapore both on the A380s. Mr BK seems very convinced we are in much much greater danger on the roads in Singapore.

Spike
Going Postal
Mood: Shplendid

Post by Spike » 2nd Dec, '10, 22:14

Beesknees wrote:Funny we were discussing this only tonight as we have separate flights going back to Europe soon with Qantas and Singapore both on the A380s. Mr BK seems very convinced we are in much much greater danger on the roads in Singapore.
I tend to agree with Mr. BK. You're much safer on an A380 with rickety engines than you are going to Changi airport with a maniacal Singaporean taxi driver.
Prayer has no place in public schools. Just like facts have no place in organised religion.

Tas
I live here
Mood: Confuddled

Post by Tas » 3rd Dec, '10, 07:22

About managing risks, with all things. There is enourmous attention on the equipment at the moment, so you'd have to assume that they're pretty confident on what they do put in the sky. (bit like recycled water, it gets 3-4x the scrutiny testing and treatment of normal reservoir water)

I'm continuing to fly with Cathay, mainly because I prefer the fishbone layout, and the planes & service I get on Sydney to HK routes are consistent, plus good price, I'll find out what they put on Eur leg, hoping same. Our business travel agent said she's not booking anyone with Singapore airlines at the mo because all the 380 have been replaced with really old aircraft without much notice and for foreseeable future - been getting a lot of complaints. As for Qantas, she made no comment.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Sardonicus
Going Postal
Mood: It's academic

Post by Sardonicus » 3rd Dec, '10, 08:17

Just how crappy is the 777?

For where I'm heading, it's all that was available and I can't remember the last time I was in one. We're flying Economy.
Fat Bob wrote:When I booked my upcoming SIN-SYD flights on SQ in Aug/Sept, I was on A380. Now I'm on a crappy 777 on the way out and 747 on the way back. And NO other flights available on SQ on the dates I want.

So I had really good seats on the original flight, now got shit seats. Bugger.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

Beesknees
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by Beesknees » 3rd Dec, '10, 08:53

Tas wrote:A
I'm continuing to fly with Cathay, mainly because I prefer the fishbone layout, and the planes & service I get on Sydney to HK routes are consistent, plus good price, I'll find out what they put on Eur leg, hoping same.

I couldn't fly with Cathay after being exposed to their dire TV adverts - they make me want to THROW something at the TV. I'm sure "Cynthia" or whatever her name is would understand!

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 3rd Dec, '10, 09:13

not subjected to them. I just take the deal, the points, and the lounge Margarita.

Tas
I live here

Post by Tas » 3rd Dec, '10, 09:45

Daff, guess you're following SMH, with a couple good pics, http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... 18ixs.html

and their reference site here http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/news-it ... apore.aspx

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 3rd Dec, '10, 10:02

Sardi - last time I flew a 777 was to Athens, I think, in economy. I think it was a 3-4-3 seat configuration, but maybe it was 3-3-3. Just make sure you have aisle seats in the middle and not on either of the sides.

JJ
Post Traumatic Stress

Post by JJ » 3rd Dec, '10, 10:02

Given it's Quantas I would fly the A380 - they have an excellent (the best?) safety record.

I prefer SQ though, was flying Sin-Syd right on the days when the whole Quantas grounding planes kicked off, and even SQ grounded their 380s (but had far less negative publicity) so I was changed to the crappy 747 each way, no room to change flights and crappy seats to boot.

777 are not too bad - better seats, leg room and TV screens than 747 (but thats not saying much)....

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 3rd Dec, '10, 10:51

Good to know, thanks - is that because of the entertainment box cluttering the floorspace?

My flight is 3-3-3 and I had already requested the middle, but have to go online to get them.
slinky wrote:Sardi - last time I flew a 777 was to Athens, I think, in economy. I think it was a 3-4-3 seat configuration, but maybe it was 3-3-3. Just make sure you have aisle seats in the middle and not on either of the sides.
I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. Groucho Marx

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 3rd Dec, '10, 11:12

You mean sitting in the middle and not the sides? No, it's because if you are on the side you will have to climb over people or be climbed over no matter what and unless there are 3 of you together, there is going to be someone you don't know in the mix. In the middle, especially if there are 2 of you together, you'll likely only climb over or be climbed over by the person you are traveling with because the odd one out can use the other side.

daffodil
Part of the furniture

Post by daffodil » 3rd Dec, '10, 16:27

All booked on the QF 380 Sing - UK - SIng for later this month. As some of you have mentioned, the safety issue is going to be extremely high on QANTAS' agenda, so fingers crossed.

Right now, I'm more concerned about the UK airports being open than about the safety aspect! I'd like a White Chrismas....only once I'm safely tucked up in Plaid Cymru country! :D

Sardonicus
Going Postal

Post by Sardonicus » 3rd Dec, '10, 21:20

You said "Just make sure you have aisle seats in the middle and not on either of the sides."

The config is 3-3-3 and there's 2 of us, so we'll have 1 aisle and 1 middle seat in the middle row.

I was wondering if there's anything advantageous about the seats in the middle vs. the sides. On an SQ flight a few years back, I think a 345, I noticed much less legroom on the side seats because of the entertainment control box, not sure about the 777.
slinky wrote:You mean sitting in the middle and not the sides? No, it's because if you are on the side you will have to climb over people or be climbed over no matter what and unless there are 3 of you together, there is going to be someone you don't know in the mix. In the middle, especially if there are 2 of you together, you'll likely only climb over or be climbed over by the person you are traveling with because the odd one out can use the other side.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 3rd Dec, '10, 21:23

If you can book your seats online, book the two middle aisles in that row. If its a really full flight and someone ends up between you, offer them an aisle, they'll jump at the chance. If its not that full, your empty middle seat will most likely stay that way.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 4th Dec, '10, 08:54

We're booked on the QF A380 all the way from SYD to LHR and back. If it's our time to go, it's our time to go.

After the shit I've had this year (and continue to have), It wouldn't surprise me :lol:

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Dec, '10, 09:14

k, I personally wouldn't travel. Nothing to do with the plane, more to do with the freakin' weather!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 4th Dec, '10, 09:27

My sister rang me last evening to say, change of plan, we're coming to you instead. Another 10 inches of snow overnight. *

I said, can't talk for long, D, just wakling along a clifftop path, looking down at a white sandy beach, watching the surfers catch the evening sun, on my way to a part at the surf club.

She wasn't too impressed. [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

* I really wish she was serious, I'd pay for them all to come, but she's agoraphobic so it's never going to happen :(

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit

Post by Fat Bob » 4th Dec, '10, 09:36

I heard there's been two feet of snow in some areas.....
two feet.jpg

Poppy Appeal

Kooky
Can't find the exit

Post by Kooky » 4th Dec, '10, 09:37

Just remembered niece said she'd put some photos on Facebook for me.
EEK.jpg
Not funny.jpg

Rosbif71
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Rosbif71 » 5th Dec, '10, 12:00

Flying in 2 weeks. 777 to Dubai then A380 to London. Now worries as Emirates A380's have proper engines

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 5th Dec, '10, 12:43

I was on A380 on Nov 11 then on Dec 2. Gonna be on it again in January. No worries. Like Kooky said, if it's time to go, it's time to go.