Chicago

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Chicago

Post by nev » 8th Mar, '11, 16:59

I'll be in Chicago for a few days in the third week of May. Any suggestions for things to do, places to go, restaurants I must visit?
Thanks! [smilie=groovy.gif]

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Re: Chicago

Post by baloo » 8th Mar, '11, 17:06

Chicago Chop House (I think that's what it was called). Best steak I have ever had.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 8th Mar, '11, 17:27

Well, checking out the shopping on Michigan Ave is worth a look. The Chicago museums are all great -- in particular the Art Museum (also on Michigan Ave - south end, I believe), Museum of Science and Industry and Museum of Natural History are pretty cool. You can go up in the Sears Tower and/or John Hancock buildings for views of the city. Baseball season should be going, so if there's a home Cubs game that would be well worth checking out -- bleacher seats should be pretty cheap and probably the most fun seats in the house. In fact, Wrigleyville - the area around Wrigley field - is full of fun bars & restaurants (at least last time I was there, but I can't imagine it's changed all that much). Not sure I'd recommend seeing a White Sox game only because the ball park is in a pretty rough neighborhood.

There are just too many great restaurants to name - as you find in any big city. If you like steaks and can find Baloo's recommendation, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. If you're at all into pizza, then you need to try authentic Chicago pizza (deep dish) and Pizzera Uno is probably the most well-known place for that.

I'll keep thinking :)

Edit: I remember having some fab breakfasts at this place: Ann Sather I don't remember which location - they may have only had one at the time anyway. But it looks like most of them are downtown-ish anyway.

Edit Again: How could I have forgotten the Shedd Aquarium??! It's in the same area as the Science & Industry and Natural History Museums. Also seeing a lot for Navy Pier - I think it's been built up quite a lot in the past 10 years or so - last time I was there we did have lunch out there and went to a children's museum there - probably not your thing :lol: However, I did see a lot of boat tours/cruises available there, so there might be something worth checking out and as it will be well into May, the weather should be quite nice for a boat cruise.
Last edited by slinky on 8th Mar, '11, 18:01, edited 2 times in total.

Tack
Too Much Time on my Hands

Post by Tack » 8th Mar, '11, 17:33

If you're into pizza then there is a pizza tour to the various claimants to the the real Chicago pizza title so you can compare! My sis in law loved this.

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 8th Mar, '11, 17:41

Ooh, didn't know that had that, Tack, sounds great!

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 8th Mar, '11, 17:51

sluggo
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 8th Mar, '11, 23:36

You gotta have a Chicago Dog.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 9th Mar, '11, 03:45

My friend lives there - let me know if you want to be put in contact for ideas - she might have ideas based on where you are staying etc.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 9th Mar, '11, 09:53

Thanks for the ideas, I know you guys would come up with stuff I wouldn't find on Wikitravel :)

I am planning to visit Shedd Aquarium, Skydeck, and do the boat tour thingy recommended by some locals.

I'll be staying at my sister's in Joliet, but I'll have her car while she's at work, with GPS, so I'll find my way around. Primary purpose is to hang out with my sister, so not going to do too many touristy things. Good food is a must, though!

If you have more recommendations, post away :)
Last edited by nev on 24th Mar, '11, 18:03, edited 3 times in total.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 10th May, '12, 16:19

Chicago was lovely, I especially liked the lake and the view of super flat landscape beyond the city limits, from one of the observatories (can't remember which one). The aquarium was small but quite nice, the best part was the underground tropical ocean exhibit. The food was excellent, although we mostly ate in my sister's suburban neighborhood of Joliet. I was also invited to my first genuine Mexican family party (my brother in law is Mexican American)... it was very interesting to see that Mexicans and Indonesians are so similar. We're loud, boisterous, play music at full volume, and love spicy food. The only difference was the amount of booze consumed at the party, it was... abundant :shock: Another interesting thing was the size of the people in the Midwest; they are BIG. After California, it was quite a change of scenery. I'm not exactly chocolate-sized, but I felt small in Chicago.

Next time I go, I will explore the city area more, maybe swim in the lake or something.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 11th May, '12, 03:05

LOL - glad you had fun "abundant" alcohol!

Did you go up the top of the Hancock tower to the bar there?
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 11th May, '12, 09:30

I never knew there are 2-litre bottles of tequila :shock:

Now I remember it's Hancock tower, but I didn't go the bar because it was soooo crowded. The coffee shop at the Observatory deck was much more comfortable.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 11th May, '12, 09:33

I liked Chicago too. Seemed very unpretentious and down to earth, unlike NYC and LA. People were surprisingly friendly

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th May, '12, 09:54

baloo wrote:I liked Chicago too. Seemed very unpretentious and down to earth, unlike NYC and LA. People were surprisingly friendly
Yep, it's the great Midwest :D People do tend to be a bit more down to earth and friendly --- but, full disclosure, I grew up about 2 hours from Chicago ;)

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 11th May, '12, 09:59

I still look at a map of the US and struggle to see why they call it the "Midwest". They might be friendly, but their geography sucks.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 11th May, '12, 10:00

Yup I totally agree, Midwesterners are very friendly. Somewhat naive (in the best sense of the word) and are very easily amused :D There are very few Asians where my sister lives, so we're kind of a novelty. People compliment me on my "very good English" :mrgreen:

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th May, '12, 10:12

baloo wrote:I still look at a map of the US and struggle to see why they call it the "Midwest". They might be friendly, but their geography sucks.
:lol:

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 11th May, '12, 10:22

Heh heh, can't help but think of the Blues Brothers whenever I see anything mention Joliet...
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 11th May, '12, 13:21

nev wrote:People compliment me on my "very good English" :mrgreen:
Americans complimenting you on your English language skills? How would they know?
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

slinky
Porum addict

Post by slinky » 11th May, '12, 13:28

Fat Bob wrote:
nev wrote:People compliment me on my "very good English" :mrgreen:
Americans complimenting you on your English language skills? How would they know?
:lol:
One of my favorite stories with regard to this topic is when my cousin's British husband was in a McDonald's in Florida and the girl taking his order noticed his 'foreign accent' and asked him where he was from. He answered: "England." And she said, "Oh, well you speak our language very well." To which he answered, "Actually it's our language." I don't think she quite understood :?

JaniceM
Limp Member
Mood: Fine

Post by JaniceM » 12th Feb, '13, 13:29

Chicago for sure is a really beautiful place.... one of the best places in Chicago is the field museum!!

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 21st Nov, '13, 16:48

OK, so how cold is Chicago in early February? I'm getting a bit paranoid because my sister makes it sound so bad. I've lived in Tokyo where the temp drops to -4C in winter and I was fine. Wiki says Chicago temps in Feb is around -6 to 2C which I think should be bearable... am I grossly underestimating it?

sluggo
Mood: pretty damn good

Post by sluggo » 22nd Nov, '13, 06:59

It can of course be much colder then that. It is giving you average temps. If you catch a cold spell it can be much colder. It would not be unusual for it to get down to-20° C or lower with strong winds and blowing snow which makes it feel much colder. On the other hand it could also be 15° C. Good luck.
I guess we're not in Kansas anymore.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 22nd Nov, '13, 09:58

Thanks sluggo, I forgot that its not called Windy City for no reason. I just hope they don't blast the heaters indoors; cold outdoors+too hot indoors=nosebleed for me :(

skank-la
Mood: Indica

Post by skank-la » 23rd Nov, '13, 06:41

When the winter winds come off Lake Michigan down from the artic climes you get a true education
of the term 'wind chill factor' ;)
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!