Ecuador

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Ecuador

Post by nev » 11th Jun, '13, 17:33

So, the Galapagos dive trip is booked for end of Jan 2014 [smilie=groovy.gif] [smilie=mango.gif] [smilie=groovy.gif]

I will have about 10 days to burn between the dive trip and a work conference in SF, any suggestions on something to do? I'm looking at a 2-day additional land trip in Galapagos, then do either Quito or Guayaquil for maybe 3 days, then off to see my sister in Chicago before SF. Quito seems to be the logical choice, with its UNESCO World Heritage Site status, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance [smilie=kiss.gif]

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Re: Ecuador

Post by chocolate » 13th Jun, '13, 04:17

Hey Nev - i had a friend who went to the Galapagos - let me ask her and get back to you! I believe one most see the blue-footed booby's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-footed_Booby
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 13th Jun, '13, 08:07

Nev, we have a mutual friend who went a couple of years ago, looks fantastic from the photos I've seen.

I aim to go to coincide with a trip to the Rio Olympics - I'll take a month-6weeks off, do a couple of weeks diving, Rio, 7s rugby - sounds like a great trip already!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 13th Jun, '13, 09:07

I think the World Heritage site sounds pretty interesting. But Mr VS was in Quito last November and from his accounts it sounds like a very quiet almost rural town as opposed to a nation's capital. Three days, hmmm... unless you really enjoy the laid back aspect.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 13th Jun, '13, 11:32

chocolate wrote:Hey Nev - i had a friend who went to the Galapagos - let me ask her and get back to you! I believe one most see the blue-footed booby's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-footed_Booby
Thanks [smilie=kiss.gif]

Booby :mrgreen: OK I know it's juvenile, sorry!

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 13th Jun, '13, 11:35

Fat Bob wrote:Nev, we have a mutual friend who went a couple of years ago, looks fantastic from the photos I've seen.

I aim to go to coincide with a trip to the Rio Olympics - I'll take a month-6weeks off, do a couple of weeks diving, Rio, 7s rugby - sounds like a great trip already!
Hmmm who is this mutual friend? I might need to pump him/her for more info.

6 weeks :shock: nice... I'm not sure I'll have a job to get back to after 6 weeks.

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 13th Jun, '13, 11:40

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:I think the World Heritage site sounds pretty interesting. But Mr VS was in Quito last November and from his accounts it sounds like a very quiet almost rural town as opposed to a nation's capital. Three days, hmmm... unless you really enjoy the laid back aspect.
Nice tip, thanks. I'm into anything, really. I can do party town, rural town, anytown. My travel companions are more into partying (dancing, drinking) though, so I'll have to chat with them about it first. I heard Guayaquil is more party town than Quito, but we can party anywhere, but we don't always get the chance to visit a World Heritage site.

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 15th Jun, '13, 01:24

from my friend:

I don't think you can go to the islands unless you are part of a tour because they only let in so many people at a time. So, I am hoping that your friends diving tour will take them to more than just one place. As far as going to see the nature on the islands and not just in the water, I would try to schedule something with a group down there. All the islands have different species and history. Some are very newly created volcanic islands. Aside from the blue footed boobies there are the Galapagos lizards that swim, the iguanas, the turtles, etc. These are all on different islands.

Diving woudl be amazing. Lots of sharks, penguins :) and the sea lions are so much fun to play with!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 15th Jun, '13, 03:45

Found a book on the subject. : )

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 15th Jun, '13, 11:58

chocolate wrote:from my friend:

I don't think you can go to the islands unless you are part of a tour because they only let in so many people at a time. So, I am hoping that your friends diving tour will take them to more than just one place. As far as going to see the nature on the islands and operator not just in the water, I would try to schedule something with a group down there. All the islands have different species and history. Some are very newly created volcanic islands. Aside from the blue footed boobies there are the Galapagos lizards that swim, the iguanas, the turtles, etc. These are all on different islands.

Diving woudl be amazing. Lots of sharks, penguins :) and the sea lions are so much fun to play with!
Thanks for the tip! The dive operator I'm going with includes 2-4 land excursions, which they have a permit for. I don't want to go to land too much since I'm paying to dive, hence the additional land tour (also organized by the same operator) after the dive trip. I definitely wanna see the tortoises, and maybe snorkel with the sea lions (although usually sea lions colony=hungry sharks are around, so...)

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 15th Jun, '13, 23:03

avatarless wrote:Found a book on the subject. : )
Thanks! Was looking at the book and found documentaries so bought those! [smilie=mango.gif]

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 2nd Jul, '13, 10:15

We decided to spend four more days on Galapagos and skip Quito/Guayaquil altogether. Seems logical because we will be going there to visit the Galapagos in the first place. Thanks all for the input!

nev
Going Postal

Post by nev » 21st Nov, '13, 16:37

Yay! I managed to squeeze in two nights in Quito. Did some research and it looks like a place I would really like. Found a cute boutique hotel in the historic old town, so exciting!

If anyone's been to Quito I'd appreciate some restaurant recommendations :)