Diving Raja Ampat

Where to go, where to stay and why you should reconsider!

Moderator: daffodil

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Diving Raja Ampat

Post by Duck » 6th Nov, '13, 18:20

Has anyone been diving in Raja Ampat, I'm looking for recommendations of where to stay and the dive sites not to be missed? Any other hints and tips will be great fully received!

Having recently returned from staying on Kanawa and diving in Flores, I have high expectations of Raja Ampat and don't want to miss out on what the 'four kings' have to offer! Cheers!
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Re: Diving Raja Ampat

Post by nev » 6th Nov, '13, 23:23

Hey Duck, I''ve been there twice and I'd go again in a heartbeat! It's the best diving destination I've been to, and I've been to almost all the famous sites around Asia. Yup, I've been to Komodo, and islands east of Flores (Alor) too. They're fabulous but Rajah Ampat is much better.

I'd highly recommend a liveaboard, because Rajah Ampat is HUGE and you'd want to travel from the North (Waigeo) all the way down to the South (Misool) to see all the best sites. The North has pelagics (mantas and wobbegong sharks for sure), and the South has the best reefs I've ever seen. Also the limestone islands are probably the prettiest I've seen (Google image Misool and Wayag to see what I mean).

I did two liveaboards, the Seven Seas (luxury) and Grand Komodo (mid-level), both highly recommended depending on your budget. I'm not sure if Seven Seas still does R4 though. The trick is to find the best guides who know the area well. Many liveaboards use freelance guides who are not familiar with the sites, so some divers feel they were duped. Stick to the older liveaboards (Pelagian and Pindito come to mind, or Grand Komodo), and you'll be fine. I did 13 days with Grand Komodo, and 8 days with Seven Seas, but I felt I haven't seen all the sites, there are so many!

There are also some resorts (if you must): Kri Eco resort is up North, and Misool Eco Resort is down South. Both were highly recommended by friends (some even worked at the resort).

Have fun and let me know how it goes!

nev
Going Postal
Mood: mental

Post by nev » 7th Nov, '13, 10:28

Looking at my logbook, the best sites:
Misool: Farundi, Karang Warkraket, Fiabacet, Pulau Boo
North sites: Gam, Alyui Bay.

There are many more (I did maybe 50 dives around there) but those are the ones that stuck to mind.

One advice, try not to dive in the mangroves. There are saltwater crocodiles in Papua. I'm not joking.
http://www.divernet.com/Marine-Life/392 ... ttack.html
http://www.stayrajaampat.com/informatio ... edical-faq
http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/dive_ ... 00908.html

Duck
Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: Ecstatic!

Post by Duck » 9th Nov, '13, 15:27

Thanks Nev! Lots of great info that I will certainly check out... Thanks for the heads up on the salt water crocs too! Excited! [smilie=groovy.gif]
~ Smile & the world will smile with you :-) ~