American Beer

Not in Singapore ? Tell us what it's like where you are.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

American Beer

Post by chocolate » 7th Jan, '09, 08:19

I never thought I would say this, but i missed American beer when i was home, asides from it being 4 times the price in Dublin, it's just better here, and i'm not talking about Budweiser/Miller, the locally brewed stuff...so good and you get it in all the bars.....not just specialty bars. Yuengling is just tasty, plain and simple !

i guess this means i'm almost totally Americanized...lol!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: American Beer

Post by slinky » 7th Jan, '09, 09:05

When we were living in North Carolina we had a friend from PA and he was soooo excited when Yuengling became available in NC (I guess they initially only distributed in the PA or northeast area & then went to national distribution). Needless to say, he introduced us to it [smilie=alc.gif] Haven't had any in about 5 years though.....

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 7th Jan, '09, 09:30

You know the old Monty Python joke. How is American beer like making love in a canoe? It's f*ucking close to water.

On the other hand, I had a roommate in Brooklyn who was the best of drunks, and he introduced me to the wonderful world of North American microbreweries. He always knew which beers were in season and I tried countless recipes. Delicious fun! Spring is coming, which means a new batch of Bigfoot will be out soon. One bottle of Bigfoot would have me hallucinating - that beer is damn near flammable!
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 7th Jan, '09, 11:49

Lili....I agree, some of the microbreweries in the states produce some great beer. Always enjoyed a few of them indeed.

The mass produced stuff is very poor, but there again, so is the mass-produced stuff in most places, including the UK. The UK had this problem of taking a good beer from, say, Yorkshire, and trying to sell it across the island. Tetley's is one of the best beers in Yorkshire, but tastes crap when it's served elsewhere, mainly because it's brewed away from the original brewery. US make this worse by mass-producing only lager....hence the Monty Python joke!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

T2K
Going Postal

Post by T2K » 7th Jan, '09, 12:15

National pride led me to try to defend American mass-market beers, once or twice. About 10 years ago. I obviously had to give up.

But, Sam Adams is a real beer that can be found all over. When I first had Yuengling in Philadelphia 7 or 8 years ago I thought it was Chinese, judging by the name. Now it's all over the East Coast, at least.

Microbrweries at home are cool, there are lots of people in the US that are into beer perfection. "High Gravity" beers seems to be the term used there a lot for "high alcohol and will F you up fast."
"No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Morrolan
Part of the furniture
Mood: sceptical

Post by Morrolan » 8th Jan, '09, 05:19

Fat Bob wrote:Lili....I agree, some of the microbreweries in the states produce some great beer. Always enjoyed a few of them indeed.

The mass produced stuff is very poor, but there again, so is the mass-produced stuff in most places, including the UK. The UK had this problem of taking a good beer from, say, Yorkshire, and trying to sell it across the island. Tetley's is one of the best beers in Yorkshire, but tastes crap when it's served elsewhere, mainly because it's brewed away from the original brewery. US make this worse by mass-producing only lager....hence the Monty Python joke!
i thought Tetley's made tea bags... [smilie=stupido.gif]

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 8th Jan, '09, 06:06

The end of an era - the (Carlsberg) Tetley's Brewery in Leeds is being shut down. I always used to know I'd reached Leeds when I could smell the hops. :)

edit: PS Tetley make teabags make tea, M. :D

Post Traumatic Stress
Mood: moody

Post by avatarless » 8th Jan, '09, 06:46

I so miss Yuengling! Haven't found it yet anywhere in Massachusetts.. In philly, you don't even have to order it by name, just as for "a lager".

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 8th Jan, '09, 06:51

i know, one lager please and beautiful Yuengling comes my way, LOVE IT!
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Zephyr
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 8th Jan, '09, 06:53

Why yuengling? Is there a Chinese connection?
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 8th Jan, '09, 07:02

dunno, i 'll chocolate......

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » 8th Jan, '09, 07:04

Thanks but no need to bother, Choccie. I just looked it up and have answered my own question. I love the internet! Apparently it's a German name and word for young man, pronounced ying ling! Who knew???
You learn something new everyday. :)
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 8th Jan, '09, 07:46

chocolate wrote:dunno, i 'll chocolate......
[smilie=w00t.gif]
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 8th Jan, '09, 08:26

Zephyr wrote:Thanks but no need to bother, Choccie. I just looked it up and have answered my own question. I love the internet! Apparently it's a German name and word for young man, pronounced ying ling! Who knew???
the german spelling would be: "Jüngling" or "Juengling" for those that can't find the U-Umlaut (ü). no Y in there... :mrgreen:

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 8th Jan, '09, 08:48

I thought was some kind of team sailing event. Beer would be more generally useful though
We are the TPF

Zephyr

Post by Zephyr » 8th Jan, '09, 08:57

Morrolan wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Thanks but no need to bother, Choccie. I just looked it up and have answered my own question. I love the internet! Apparently it's a German name and word for young man, pronounced ying ling! Who knew???
the german spelling would be: "Jüngling" or "Juengling" for those that can't find the U-Umlaut (ü). no Y in there... :mrgreen:
Like the name Jurgen? sorry can't do the U-Umlaut - but pronounced Yurgen.
I got it from their website, so there!! :mrgreen:
~jhclues~

Morrolan
Part of the furniture

Post by Morrolan » 8th Jan, '09, 09:06

Zephyr wrote:
Morrolan wrote: the german spelling would be: "Jüngling" or "Juengling" for those that can't find the U-Umlaut (ü). no Y in there... :mrgreen:
Like the name Jurgen? sorry can't do the U-Umlaut - but pronounced Yurgen.
I got it from their website, so there!! :mrgreen:
doesn't make it correct, though... :geek:

chocolate
Going Postal

Post by chocolate » 8th Jan, '09, 23:24

baloo wrote:
chocolate wrote:dunno, i 'll chocolate......
[smilie=w00t.gif]
:P