Ostioneria Colima

Not in Singapore ? Tell us what it's like where you are.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

skank-la
Too Much Time on my Hands
Mood: Indica

Ostioneria Colima

Post by skank-la » 24th Apr, '09, 06:00

While Singapore ain't bad by a long shot I think LA is maybe the best food city in the world.

Last night as soon as I walked in after a long day the wife & Skankster announced they wanted to eat out down in Hacienda Heights, a basically 100% Mexican barrio/hood a few minutes south from our home. Off we go to Ostioneria Colima which is a down home working man's Mexican Marisco's joint. Ostione means Oyster in spanish so a Ostioneria means Oyster Shop.

Here's something out of Chowhound so you get another glimpse before I go on
5 Star Rating

The best Marisco's this side of the border. Really!! Shrimp coctels, garlic shrimp, fresh oysters, crab, octopus, fish, shrimp tostadas. And almost all items under $10. What a steal!!! My personal favorite, Shrimp & Octopus Coctel and 1 dozen fresh oysters with Tapatio sauce & Limon, MMmm. Here is the negative: If there is a mexican soccor game on, DO NOT COME! The place will be beyond capacity. Also try to avoid sunday afternoons because everyone coming out of CHURCH is there (mexican tradition)
So minutes later we were cheek to jowl w/Mexican Families w/6 kids (but the oldest is always under 10) having dinner & Mexican just off duty workers w/their LA version of karaoke gals sharing platters of iced down raw oysters topped with Line & Hot Sauce & buckets of also cold iced down Pacifico Beer. The place just has a real energy, always Mexican league soccer on the large screens & Mariachi Music roaring from the speakers

The young Skankster always gets Fresh shrimp stuffed w/freshly made Cheese & then grilled wrapped in Bacon. The DW & wife & I always have a few dozen raw oysters & lots of Ceviche Tostadas. Ceviche is a marinated raw fish/onion/tomatoe/lime mixture (Mexican Sashimi) & Ice Cold beer. The price tag is the lowest you can find almost anywhere on the planet for So fresh you can eat it Raw Quality Seafood.

Table to table there are vendor wars between the Mainland Chinese gal who speaks no Spanish & the Mexcian street vendors of pirated DVD's. Also a good place to pickup knock-off Lakers/Dodgers/Raiders sportware too.

We've been here probably over 100 time since we moved to LA but I'm always the only 'Caucasians' we see in the place. Once in a while there are Chinese/Koreans as the next town over is heavily Asian & they do like their fresh seafood; willing to go into a scary Mexican joint to get it fresh.

45 minutes at Ostionaria Colima & we have a good beer buzz going & have just feasted on fresh fresh marisco's. For the moment you feel it really doesn't get any better than this.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ostioneria-coli ... da-heights
Last edited by skank-la on 24th Apr, '09, 09:32, edited 5 times in total.
I try to take one day at a time but sometimes several days attack me at once!

Dinosaur
Going Postal
Mood: blank

Re: Ostioneria Colima

Post by Dinosaur » 24th Apr, '09, 14:26

Sounds like the genuine article S. So many Mexican restaurants worldwide turn out to be TexMex. There was one place in Singapore we used to go to. I think it was Margaritas or something like that, on East Coast Road, and always seemed to be fully booked - and genuine Mexican dishes that you don't see elsewhere... ahem well apart from Mexico I guess and L.A.

baloo
Can't find the exit
Mood: exhausted

Post by baloo » 24th Apr, '09, 14:28

Yeah, Margaritas on East Coast Rd and now in Dempsey too. Part of the Al Forno group. Expensive place. Just re-opened in the East. Might have to go and see if it's cheaper now.
So…if you wish to wish a wish, you may swish for fish with my Ish wish dish.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Post by slinky » 24th Apr, '09, 17:06

Isn't Margaritas in Faber Park/Hills too?

Edit: This reminds me, we have a friend here who is from Mexico & he's planning to open an authentic Mexican taco stand - possibly Clarke Quay. Hope he can pull it off, sounds good!
Last edited by slinky on 24th Apr, '09, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 24th Apr, '09, 17:21

CQ is becoming quite the takeaway place. Hot Dogs, Spanish rolls, kebabs. Decent mexican would be good too.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 24th Apr, '09, 17:33

baloo wrote:Yeah, Margaritas on East Coast Rd and now in Dempsey too. Part of the Al Forno group. Expensive place. Just re-opened in the East. Might have to go and see if it's cheaper now.
I'm a bit confused about that 'cause I have to admit that we're real cheap charlies when it comes to eating out :) and the Margaritas we used to go to wasn't so expensive by East Coast prices - I'm going back a couple of years here.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 24th Apr, '09, 17:37

Tried it once, about 18months ago, maybe more. Seemed expensive to us.

Might go tomorrow night if I can convince the wife.

Dinosaur
Going Postal

Post by Dinosaur » 24th Apr, '09, 17:54

Mmm I think you better do a google first Baloo. I've just done a search round the 'net and it sounds like it's gone down the TexMex road and prices have risen. What a shame.

Pinklepurr
I post here professionally

Post by Pinklepurr » 24th Apr, '09, 18:30

It has changed indeed, not the same as it used to be, more's the pity. I found the prices way too $$$ as well and not particularly great food either. Pity because it used to be good.
"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." - Anonymous

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 24th Apr, '09, 18:37

skank-la wrote:While Singapore ain't bad by a long shot...
I had chicken rice for lunch today [smilie=groovy.gif] Feel totally at home in the food court in Chinatown. :)

I've never had Mexican food anthing like the food I had in Merida, Yucatan, anywhere else (although haven't been to LA.) It's just nothing like.

Zephyr
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 24th Apr, '09, 19:22

That review has me salivating.
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

Fat Bob
Can't find the exit
Mood: Born to Tour!

Post by Fat Bob » 25th Apr, '09, 01:54

slinky wrote:Isn't Margaritas in Faber Park/Hills too?
Yup.

Not sure how "mex" rather than "texmex" it is. But pleasant enough. Especially as I live rather close!
"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life" ...Cecil Rhodes.

Poppy Appeal

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 1st Oct, '09, 11:28

slinky wrote:Edit: This reminds me, we have a friend here who is from Mexico & he's planning to open an authentic Mexican taco stand - possibly Clarke Quay. Hope he can pull it off, sounds good!
If it wasn't your friend that set it up then someone else has jumped in and stolen his idea.

Lili Von Shtupp
Part of the furniture
Mood: Notorious

Post by Lili Von Shtupp » 1st Oct, '09, 11:33

There's a Mexican taco stand in Clake Quay now? Oooooooo, I could really go for that! Did you try it, baloo? Is it your friend, Slinks?

EDIT: Is it just me, or does Ostioneria Colima sound like something you'd need a prescription for?
Last edited by Lili Von Shtupp on 1st Oct, '09, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
A woman walked into a pub and asked the barman for a double entendre. So he gave it to her.

baloo
Can't find the exit

Post by baloo » 1st Oct, '09, 11:39

Didn't try it as I walked past it to and from dinner. It's just up from the Kebab place and another little cafe/eatery has opened up in between them.

azzam
Mood: musn't grumble

Post by azzam » 1st Oct, '09, 11:41

Lili Von Shtupp wrote:There's a Mexican taco stand in Clake Quay now? Oooooooo, I could really go for that! Did you try it, baloo? Is it your friend, Slinks?

EDIT: Is it just me, or does Ostioneria Colima sound like something you'd need a prescription for?
No, it wasn't just you :-)
Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken

azzam

Post by azzam » 1st Oct, '09, 11:45

Ceviche - haven't had that in a long time. I used to love the home made Pacific version of it, with a little coconut milk included. Yummo.

Sigh ... I sooo need a holiday. Somewhere not in Asia. Cuba maybe.

Zephyr
Mood: fed up

Post by Zephyr » 1st Oct, '09, 19:49

If you go to Cuba, Jamaica's not far off and you could drop in!!!
Life is comprised of infinite possibilities; some known, others a mystery and destined to remain so. And what of the vast unknown, the realms beyond which knowledge has no established boundaries or parameters? Who is to say what exists or what is possible?
~jhclues~

daffodil
Part of the furniture
Mood: Typhoon'd...

Post by daffodil » 1st Oct, '09, 20:13

The name of this restaurant sounds rather like a medical procedure...
Taurus...loyal friend and dedicated enemy.

BoD
Part of the furniture

Post by BoD » 1st Oct, '09, 21:33

I didn't open this thread until now because I assumed that it referred to some horrible bowel disease that I didn't really want to know about. Now I find that is it about Mexican food, so I guess that I wasn't actually all that wrong
We are the TPF

azzam

Post by azzam » 1st Oct, '09, 22:00

Zephyr wrote:If you go to Cuba, Jamaica's not far off and you could drop in!!!
Sooo tempting!!

chocolate
Going Postal
Mood: tired

Post by chocolate » 1st Oct, '09, 23:33

azzam wrote:
Zephyr wrote:If you go to Cuba, Jamaica's not far off and you could drop in!!!
Sooo tempting!!
and you could fly via the east coast and come see me :)
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but backwards and in high heels.

Kooky
Can't find the exit
Mood: Superior

Post by Kooky » 2nd Oct, '09, 05:40

Let's all meet in LA!

azzam

Post by azzam » 2nd Oct, '09, 09:22

Yaaayyyyy. Penny saving started. And Skank's taking me to that restaurant