Norway...

Not in Singapore ? Tell us what it's like where you are.

Moderator: Singaporum Moderators

Lichtgestalt
Going Postal

Norway...

Post by Lichtgestalt » 2nd Dec, '10, 16:43

Something to be considered for the rest of the world? Might prevent a lot of unjust arguments

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... 027385.cms

LONDON: Women staff in offices in Norway have been asked to wear red bracelets when they are on their periods - so that no one would inquire why they were using the toilet more often, a media report here has said.

This "astonishing demand" was revealed in report by a workers' union into "tyrannical" toilet rules in Norwegian companies.

The study said businesses were becoming "obsessed" with lost productivity due to employees spending too much time answering the call of nature, the Daily Mail reported.

It found 66 percent of managers made staff ask them for an electronic card to gain access to toilets.

Toilets of one in three companies were placed under video surveillance, while other firms made staff sign a toilet "visitors book", the union report said.

"But the most extreme action was taken by one manager who made women having their period wear a red bracelet to justify more frequent trips to the loo. Women, quite justifiably, feel humiliated by being tagged in this way, so that all their colleagues are aware of this intimate detail of their private life," it said.

The report, which did not name the firm imposing red bracelets on women staff, has now been passed on to Norway's chief consumer ombudsman Bjorn Erik Thon.

"These are extreme cases of workplace monitoring, but they are real. Toilet Codes relating to menstrual cycles are clear violations of privacy and is very insulting to the people concerned. I hope and believe that this is not representative of the Norwegian working life in general," Thon said.

Read more: In Norway, women officegoers told to wear red bracelets during periods - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/worl ... z16wSvqaYW

cromasaig
Going Postal
Mood: excessively rained-upon

Re: Norway...

Post by cromasaig » 2nd Dec, '10, 16:55

Oh, I have a much simpler solution. Just move the tampon disposal bin to the boss' office. That should clear up any of (presumably) his doubts pretty quickly, I'd have thought.

slinky
Porum addict
Mood: :)

Re: Norway...

Post by slinky » 2nd Dec, '10, 18:51

cromasaig wrote:Oh, I have a much simpler solution. Just move the tampon disposal bin to the boss' office. That should clear up any of (presumably) his doubts pretty quickly, I'd have thought.
Yeah, I'd say that would do it [smilie=rotflmao.gif]

Seriously, this sounds like an article from The Onion. Assuming it's actually real, WTF? I can't believe any woman in her right mind would comply with such an asinine 'rule' :roll: